Call of Duty: Black Ops III Rakes in $550 Million in Three Days

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Call of Duty: Black Ops III Rakes in $550 Million in Three Days

According to Activision, Call of Duty: Black Ops III is "bigger than any [other] game, any movie, or any entertainment launch this year."

If there's one franchise that can consistently be counted on to print cash for its creators, it's Call of Duty. While some entries have performed better than others over the years, the series has produced a string of mega-hits that's almost peerless in the gaming industry. Whenever a new Call of Duty releases, few even bother asking anymore if it was a hit. It's more useful to just how big a hit it was.

For those wondering about the latest iteration in the popular franchise, the answer is pretty danged big. According to information released by Activision, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/14934-Is-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-III-Good-Yes-Its-Good-Review>Call of Duty: Black Ops III has earned more 550 million dollars in global revenue since it hit store shelves three days ago. The publisher would go on to reveal that its sales have been significantly better than the past two Call of Duty games: Ghosts and Advanced Warfare. It also shared that digital purchases of the game's Xbox One and PS4 editions rose nearly 100 percent when compared to Advanced Warfare. Feeling perhaps understandably boastful, the company claimed that the game's success has made it "bigger than any [other] game, any movie, or any entertainment launch this year."

It's worth noting, of course, that $550 million in three days isn't exactly the best the franchise has ever done. 2012's in a mere 24 hours. That being the case, Black Ops III's performance is still undeniably impressive, especially when you factor in how much earlier we are in the current console generation when compared to 2012.

Source: Gamespot

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
A surprise, considering the state of the PC release. Well, That shall certainly be keeping them in jeans and heroin.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Well done, Activision. However, I feel you should have added, "so far" at the end of your claim. Because once Star Wars comes out later this year, there will be a movie that rakes in more than the game. I am having fun playing it though, which is more than I can say for the last two Call of Duty games.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
not very surprised. pretty much every titles sells like mad, regardless if its good or bad.
and so far the reviews i keep reading on steam is how bad its performing. never the less, i keep my fingers off it. gave up on assassins creed as well.
and yes, i also think that battlefront will cash in very well too. because its star wars. and lest see how much money the movie will bring in. i know mine will be in there since i want to watch it. but i will not get the game.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't know, this sounds like bs to me considering that yesterday fallout 4 was the most played game on steam, managing to edge out counter strike and dota II.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
Well done, Activision. However, I feel you should have added, "so far" at the end of your claim. Because once Star Wars comes out later this year, there will be a movie that rakes in more than the game. I am having fun playing it though, which is more than I can say for the last two Call of Duty games.
No need to add "so far" when it's already not true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_film#Highest-grossing_films

Maybe they'll pass a few of those, but currently 7 movies this year already beating their 550 number.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Sniper Team 4 said:
You think a Star Wars film is going to beat Jurassic World and Avengers Age of Ultron? USA maybe but worldwide no chance and these CoD figures are for worldwide.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Jadak said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
No need to add "so far" when it's already not true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_film#Highest-grossing_films

Maybe they'll pass a few of those, but currently 7 movies this year already beating their 550 number.
If you read the article you would know that Activision was stating that CoD brought in more revenue in the first 3 days than any other property.

Those film figures are to date not just first 3 days.

plus2exp

Aug 31, 2011
P-89 Scorpion said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
You think a Star Wars film is going to beat Jurassic World and Avengers Age of Ultron? USA maybe but worldwide no chance and these CoD figures are for worldwide.
Oh yes, I believe it will too. I'd go so far as to predict that Episode VII will have the biggest opening weekend in box office history. I can understand why you might not think so, given the low quality of the prequels. If George Lucas were helming the production, my opinion would probably align with yours. But he isn't. And the advertising for this movie is expertly plucking the nostalgia strings of men and women who grew up with the original trilogy. Nostalgia is a powerful thing. The movie could end up being worse than the prequels, but it will still rake in truckloads of dosh simply because of nostalgia.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This reminds me of when a bully punches a defenseless nerd to the ground, then goes around flexing his muscles, telling everyone how strong and awesome he is. While the Escapist congratulates him on his fine form.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Michael Prymula said:
Worgen said:
I don't know, this sounds like bs to me considering that yesterday fallout 4 was the most played game on steam, managing to edge out counter strike and dota II.
COD has always been bigger on console then on PC, so no surprise there.

LOL really using Steam of all things to measure a games popularity hah.

Even poor selling games on the Xbox one do better than big sellers steam versions.

Arstechnica does yearly charts here's last years.

Go to the 3rd graph for bought games rather than F2P.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/steam-gauge-measuring-the-most-popular-steam-games-of-2014/

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
shintakie10 said:
I'll be interested to see how this does against Fallout 4 sales wise.
I remember seeing earlier this morning that the highest number of players at one time on Steam was literally 10 times higher for Fallout 4 then it was for Black Ops III (over 300,000 and a little over 30,000 respectively).

Activition is likely going to come in second on this one.

Edit: found the picture.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Of course it would rake in more cash than the last two: Black Ops II was the last great Call of Duty game, and the fanbase has had nothing but revilement for Ghosts and Advanced Warfare.

Black Ops III is also great, in the multiplayer and Zombies which are the only modes the people care about.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Once again I narrow my eyes in suspicion because of how they avoid saying how many copies they sold.

Even if it was high it feels like they're hiding something from me.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Worgen said:
Consoles vs PC's

Fallout has a very distinct public attraction but it's still smaller relatively then every lad and the mum that's willing to fork over the cash for a console + yearly releases of CoD and Fifa(or Madden/NBA depending on where you live).

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Zontar said:
shintakie10 said:
I'll be interested to see how this does against Fallout 4 sales wise.
I remember seeing earlier this morning that the highest number of players at one time on Steam was literally 10 times higher for Fallout 4 then it was for Black Ops III (over 300,000 and a little over 30,000 respectively).

Activition is likely going to come in second on this one.
absolutely disregarding the fact that the CoD fanbase is on consoles and not on PC's.

Honestly I know tons of people (and they're a particular type of people) who own a PS4 simply to play CoD and sports games with their friends/online, it is only every now and then that they venture out of that comfort zone.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
P-89 Scorpion said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Um...yes? Considering it's already completely shattered pre sale records. Not broken, not surpassed. It shattered them. Screenings are already sold out and theaters have had to add more showtimes just to cover it. Websites crashed because so many people tried to buy pre-sale tickets. When the actual film comes out, it is going to be a monster.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Sniper Team 4 said:
Um...yes? Considering it's already completely shattered pre sale records. Not broken, not surpassed. It shattered them. Screenings are already sold out and theaters have had to add more showtimes just to cover it. Websites crashed because so many people tried to buy pre-sale tickets. When the actual film comes out, it is going to be a monster.

Want to make a bet about that? $1000 through paypal to the winner? if Star wars becomes highest grossing film worldwide not just USA like those pre sales where?