Call of Duty: Black Ops Trailer Features Gameplay, Cynicism

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
ultimateownage said:
Strange how it is meant to be in the cold war and Vietnam era, yet they are using weapons made well after that.
Like which one(from the scenes of those times)?

I was really put off by the whole "everything you know is a lie". I'm really not into conspiracy theories.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Asehujiko said:
Darkstar370 said:
ultimateownage said:
Strange how it is meant to be in the cold war and Vietnam era, yet they are using weapons made well after that.
Any example?
That fancy steyr bullpup ar, first used in 9178.

Also, those explosions look like absolute crap, are they recording those from the wii version or something?
How do we know what weapons will look like in 7 thousand years?

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
I find it strange that for some reason it looks alot like Call of Duty 2 if not a bit more polished. I wont be buying it anyway. Not because of the game but because most of the fanbase are douchebags and if you play with them then you too will become one of them. Ive seen it happen

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
ultimateownage said:
Off the top of my head, I can think of the spas 12, which was invented after the vietnam war and at the end of the cold war, the Steyr Aug was invented near the end of the vietnam war, the minigun was developed in the 1990's, and the m4 was rarely used in the vietnam and cold war, if at all.
First off, I was under the impression that CoD:BOps takes place over a number of years/conflicts. Supposedly ending around the time of the Iranian hostage crisis (1979-81)? That makes both the Steyr AUG and SPAS-12 valid weapons. I mean, the Cold War didn't end until 1991.

As for the miniguns being from the 90s? EEEHN Wrong, modern miniguns were invented in the 1960s, and OH HEY used in Vietnam. Here's an awesome picture of a helicopter door gunner using one in Vietnam [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HH-3-minigun-vietnam-19681710.gif].

But don't feel bad, you're right about the M4! The M4 wasn't used in 'Nam. Heck, it didn't even exist yet.

Oh, but a shortened versions of the M16 rifle was issued to soldiers, especially commandos and other special operations teams. Both the Colt Commando and the XM117 (CAR-15) saw action in Vietnam.

Agrael

Jul 16, 2009
flaming_squirrel said:
A crossbow....seriously?

There I was thinking 'realism' couldnt go much further down hill after akimbo was put in.
There are things called needle-bombs you know. Small explosive devices attached to bolts.
Bolt hits skin, bolt gets stuck, explosive devices goes off - great fun.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
chenry said:
ultimateownage said:
Off the top of my head, I can think of the spas 12, which was invented after the vietnam war and at the end of the cold war, the Steyr Aug was invented near the end of the vietnam war, the minigun was developed in the 1990's, and the m4 was rarely used in the vietnam and cold war, if at all.
First off, I was under the impression that CoD:BOps takes place over a number of years/conflicts. Supposedly ending around the time of the Iranian hostage crisis (1979-81)? That makes both the Steyr AUG and SPAS-12 valid weapons. I mean, the Cold War didn't end until 1991.

As for the miniguns being from the 90s? EEEHN Wrong, modern miniguns were invented in the 1960s, and OH HEY used in Vietnam. Here's an awesome picture of a helicopter door gunner using one in Vietnam [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HH-3-minigun-vietnam-19681710.gif].

But don't feel bad, you're right about the M4! The M4 wasn't used in 'Nam. Heck, it didn't even exist yet.

Oh, but a shortened versions of the M16 rifle was issued to soldiers, especially commandos and other special operations teams. Both the Colt Commando and the XM117 (CAR-15) saw action in Vietnam.
The m16 and m16a1 was used in the war too, I'm sure if I looked closer I would be able to find an m16a2 which shouldn't be there. The aug was also never adopted by the U.S and the spas 12 was made in 1979, meaning it could only be in the very end of the game. Don't quote me on this though, because I'm not brilliant with weapon dates. I also admit I was wrong about the minigun, I misread something.

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
If this will be anything like Call Of Duty : World at War, I'll get it. Now, if only I would find this priced wrong for 20 bucks at launch like CoD: WaW I'll be one happy gamer.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
GrinningManiac said:
I find it funny that this looks identical to MW2

Russia and Snow Many fps games has had snow, and it's only speculated to be in russia
Sunny and rebels (Brazil=/=Vietnam apparantly) [/b] Jungle is jungle, it's not that different.
Explosions What games doesn't have explosions?
Some sort of mountaineering/base jumping activity I can give you that, but I don't think that's enought to have the game looking that much like MW2.
Vehicle sections Most fps's got that
More Russia Many fps's also got russia

LEAVE RUSSIA ALONE! THEY'RE NOT THE ENEMY ANY MORE
Yeah, I don't think those are proper reasons to compare it to modern warfare 2. Going by those standars, every fps is a MW2 clone.

DontHassleTheHoff

Apr 14, 2010
I didn't especially go for the immensely patronising voiceover, but I think it actually looks good. Who knows, it might have a storyline that's appropriate to the context.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
GrinningManiac said:
I find it funny that this looks identical to MW2

Russia and Snow Many fps games has had snow, and it's only speculated to be in russia
Sunny and rebels (Brazil=/=Vietnam apparantly) [/b] Jungle is jungle, it's not that different.
Explosions What games doesn't have explosions?
Some sort of mountaineering/base jumping activity I can give you that, but I don't think that's enought to have the game looking that much like MW2.
Vehicle sections Most fps's got that
More Russia Many fps's also got russia

Yeah, I don't think those are proper reasons for it to look like mordern warfare 2. Going by those standars, every fps is a MW2 clone.
ultimateownage said:
Darkstar370 said:
ultimateownage said:
Example?
Didn't they just say that history was wrong? With that concept, using these guns is no problem. They'll just tell us that the M4 was invented during the 50s. We'll probably be using super lazors by the end of the campaign.

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
You know... this trailer's a lot better if you mute this video and just play America Fuck Yeah from that Team America movie.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
looks pretty good...and i believe i heard something about a beta.

guess we will have to wait until E3 next month where we will hopefully see a full demo and more info about this.

oh and did anyone else immediately think of Rambo: First Blood Part 2 when they saw the explosive crossbow arrow lol?

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I've got a feeling that their gonna say that America won the Vietnam war, just seems like the kinda thing they would do.

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
I'm really not bothered about this, I don't understand why everyone is excited. Maybe it's just me, but I've had enough of Call Of Duty for a lifetime, and unless this does something really different or shows some originality, which I can't see it does, from the trailer, I won't pick it up.

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
Eh, looks extremely similar to their other trailers, what with the helicopter taking out the people in the windows, and constant series of explosions. (you'd think that Michael Bay made these trailers, all that's missing are hot women) The concept is pretty interesting, though I'm kinda disappointed they're going for the James Bond route rather than Jason Bourne. (straight up fantasy versus stretched reality; way too many explosions + a crossbow, seriously?) Overall though, pretty meh, but I'll probably get it due to friends anyways.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
chenry said:
You know... this trailer's a lot better if you mute this video and just play America Fuck Yeah from that Team America movie.
Did you actually do it? I just did and it was AWESOME

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
GrinningManiac said:
Dude, how long have zee Germans not been the enemy for and we're still making games about sticking it to the Kaiser?