Call of Duty: Black Ops Trailer Features Gameplay, Cynicism

herpaderphurr

Mar 16, 2010
ultimateownage said:
Strange how it is meant to be in the cold war and Vietnam era, yet they are using weapons made well after that.
Time travel? No I'm serious, maybe some wacked out conspiracy time travel plot messes up history and therefore these guns come into existence way before they were supposed to?

TheRightToArmBears said:
Looks like fun, and I wouldn't really ask more from what is the blockbuster of games. The main complaints appear to be guns, which frankly, I couldn't give a shit about, and realism, which is pretty stupid as this is a game. Realism takes a backseat to fun.
Hey, for some people, fun and realism go hand in hand.

Dxz5roxg

Aug 19, 2009
It just looks like another Call of Duty game to me. I'll buy it.

Does anyone else think the guy at 1:01/1:02 look a lot like Captain Price?

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
Hey hey! A freaking Torquebow! Maybe a little too Sera, and not enough Vietnam, but whatev.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Dxz5roxg said:
It just looks like another Call of Duty game to me. I'll buy it.

Does anyone else think the guy at 1:01/1:02 look a lot like Captain Price?
A bit, yeah. But then, he's been in every Call of Duty game except for World at War and maybe 3(I don't know, that's the only one I haven't played with a number). If there had been a british side in World at War, he would have shown up there.

LittleRena

Nov 18, 2009
I've been strangly fixated on the series since I started playing CoD:2 but only got into the multiplayer at WaW, I'll buy it for the story and might enjoy the multiplayer a bit too, depending how well it plays.

I do hope there are dedicated servers though :(

Mar 26, 2008
ultimateownage said:
the minigun was developed in the 1990's.
I think it has been mentioned but they definately had miniguns in helicopters during the Vietnam War. I visited the War Museum in Ho Chi Minh city and I've got a photo of one sticking out the door of a Huey they had there.

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
Okai, Okai.... lookin good so far Treyarch. Lets see if you can redeem your lost comrades at Infinity Ward.

Here's to hoping for the best.

Haro

May 27, 2009
Fenolio said:
Just because they write it down and call it history doesn't make it the truth. / We live in a world where seeing is not believing.
Calling it now.
They re-work it so that america are the good guys and that somehow the vietnam / cold war was part of a secret plan by the vietnamese(Spl?) and russians to overthrow the world.

Also, from what i've gathered. 'Black Ops.' Usually means STEALTH or easily deniable.
Piloting a helicopter with explosions all around is not stealth. That is a bay film.

If a black ops team caused the amount of [Insert-expletive-of-choice-here] that appeared in that trailer then they would probably be out of a job.
Umm, the whole goal of the Soviet Union was to overthrow the world. Ever heard of the Crisis of Capitalism? Brezhnev doctrine? The Soviet Union was the head of an empire, as nearly literal as it could be in the latter half of the 20th century. Their goal, stated by their Marxist origins, was to spread the ideals and practices of Communism around the world. And they were pretty much behind that until the 80s. As for being evil, well, now we're just discussing moral subjectivity.

And while I do agree that perhaps this game is too explosive to be truly credible, I also know it's a game. I don't expect it to be completely believable, nor do I want it to be. I'm just glad Treyarch is deciding to step out of IW's shadow and do something a bit more on the independent side.

Also, I don't know who thought that the CoD series wasn't always accurate, but the first game at least was pretty faithful. Remember though, realism =/= fun, especially in war.

Fenolio

May 22, 2009
Haro said:
Fenolio said:
Umm, the whole goal of the Soviet Union was to overthrow the world. Ever heard of the Crisis of Capitalism? Brezhnev doctrine? The Soviet Union was the head of an empire, as nearly literal as it could be in the latter half of the 20th century. Their goal, stated by their Marxist origins, was to spread the ideals and practices of Communism around the world. And they were pretty much behind that until the 80s. As for being evil, well, now we're just discussing moral subjectivity.

And while I do agree that perhaps this game is too explosive to be truly credible, I also know it's a game. I don't expect it to be completely believable, nor do I want it to be. I'm just glad Treyarch is deciding to step out of IW's shadow and do something a bit more on the independent side.

Also, I don't know who thought that the CoD series wasn't always accurate, but the first game at least was pretty faithful. Remember though, realism =/= fun, especially in war.
I meant that they somehow work vietnam into being planned by the russians sorry for the confusion :)

I agree that games dont have to truly credible or belivable but it has to stick to its own rules, otherwise, whats the point?

Take modern warfare 2 for example.
They can trace a bullets casing to a guy in, south america was it?
Yet the russians cant find out that one of their biggest terrorists is the guy that shot up their airport.
They also find the corpse of an american agent with a boolet in his head who of course carries around his identification card at all times, so those crazy americans must have done this!
Lets ignore every other logical explanation and invade america for the lols.
Lets also ignore the fact amerca can just tell the russians "Oh btw we looked at your camera footage since you were too lazy, it was makarov. Who gets his ammo from south america apparently, just thought you should know before you decide to invade america or something."

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
StarStruckStrumpets said:
You know those things called games that people use for escapism? You know, to get away from the 'real' life to try and enjoy themselves in a fantastic world of bizarre happenings? Good, I'm glad you're familiar with it.
Ohhh you mean like those games set in this world, in this era and with our current technology?

Those games you'd think that because they're set in this exact world you'd reckon they'd have a shred of credability but in actual fact cram in a truck load of bullshit?

I TOTALLY know the ones you're talking about.

Blights

Feb 16, 2009
ultimateownage said:
Strange how it is meant to be in the cold war and Vietnam era, yet they are using weapons made well after that.
It's going to be set in different Era's, Vietnam is only going to be a part of the full game.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
ultimateownage said:
Like what? If you are talking about the Steyr AUG, that weapon was in development in the 70's, so having that weapon in the game makes sense, as well as an early rendition of the M4. Special Forces always have first pick on new weapons before they are put into service, such as the SCAR right now.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I'm slightly more sold on it now, seeing as its Treyarch making it aswell. WaW was, in my opinion, one of the best

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
flaming_squirrel said:
A crossbow....seriously?

There I was thinking 'realism' couldnt go much further down hill after akimbo was put in.
Correction. A crossbow that fires exploding arrows.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Looks awesome, but I have doubts about the single player campaign (which is all I care about) after the decline in the last CoD games. Treyarch may deliver though, but my enthusiasm remain cold for now.