Call of Duty: Black Ops Trailer Features Gameplay, Cynicism

theonlywildman

Mar 29, 2009
flaming_squirrel said:
A crossbow....seriously?

There I was thinking 'realism' couldnt go much further down hill after akimbo was put in.
I gave up looking for realism after they put shotguns from the 1800's in a game about MODERN Warfare.

TheEndIsNear5115

May 21, 2009
ItsAChiaotzu said:
And to add to that, what I distinctly think were spaceships.
What you distinctly saw was the SR-71 Blackbird, developed by Lockheed's Skunk Works. It was the big brother of the U2, which was retired after it was very publicly shot down. The reason you saw it at a high altitude was that such an altitude was it's operating ceiling (It really helped to avoid SAM's; instead of evasive maneuvers, you just flew faster and waited for the missile to run out of fuel). The crew had to wear space suits for God's sake! The Blackbird was retired in 1998, to be replaced by UAV's (the Modern Warfare staple), which were cheaper, stealthier, and unmanned. Also, there supposedly exist high-speed prototypes that can reportedly achieve Mach 20. 20

...sorry for the information dump; I want to work for these guys some day. :p

Aaaaaanyway, Black Ops-relative information. The aircraft was in use from 1966-1998, and since the Cold War ended in '91, Black Ops should take place somewhere between '66 and '91, although we could have speculated an even more precise date when we saw the AUG-HBAR.

Jury's still out for me on how a mission could be centered around the plane though. Perhaps a super-high-altitude "Death From Above"?