Call of Duty: Black Ops Trailer Induces a Flashback

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Call of Duty: Black Ops Trailer Induces a Flashback

[gametrailers=64932]

The first Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77793] teaser trailer has plenty of guns and explosions, but also a little bit of mystery.

Call of Duty: Black Ops is already old news [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100360-Activision-Announces-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops] and has probably been forgotten about by most since its announcement yesterday, but it's time to bring it back into consciousness due to a newly released teaser trailer. Courtesy of GameTrailers, it reveals that Call of Duty: Black Ops may focus on a soldier that is the subject of a mysterious experiment.

Let's take a serious look at the trailer and break it down scientifically. Creepy guy talking! Men are shooting guns! Lots of explosions! Someone died! A jungle! View from the cockpit of a helicopter! Space! I think I saw a spaceman at the end! Arnold Schwarzenegger saves Alyssa Milano and throws a pipe through a dude!

So, as we can see, this Call of Duty game is theoretically different than the ones released in the past, which is line with developer Treyarch's statement that it's an "entirely new chapter" in the Call of Duty series. The main character at this point appears to be a soldier that has lost his memories, and may have them uncomfortably returned to him by a scientist with an ominous voice that approves of shock therapy. Will we play out his flashbacks similar to the way Assassin's Creed works?

When I hear the term "Black Ops," I normally think of operations that are under the radar, but the action in the trailer here doesn't appear to be very clandestine. With the disappointment that many gamers had in the story of Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99874-Crysis-2-Writer-Calls-Modern-Warfare-2-a-Disappointment], perhaps Treyarch is looking for a really solid single-player story this time that will involve all kinds of secrets, betrayals, and weird doctors for its next take on Call of Duty.

Source: GameTrailers [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-call-of/64932]

Thanks hansari [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/hansari] for the heads up!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Wait? A CoD game with a plot?

Shit. 1-6 didn't even try. Well, 4 and 6 tried. But failed completely miserably.

Anyway, I believe in Treyarch. I've always liked 'em more than IW, too.

Also: YOU'RE IN PHILADELPHIA, TOM?!

Apr 28, 2008
AH! Why do they have to do the whole amnesia thing? I hate that story element...

I guess I can't really judge much of a teaser trailer, but still. So far not so good.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Thats not space. Its a SR-71 Blackbird. High Altitude Stealth Recon. The pilots' flight suits look similar to space suits. Seeing as how the SR-71 was retired after the end of the cold war, I'm guessing this all takes place in the 1966-1980s

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Well after watching that trailer i'm pretty sure i know whats going on and who the main character is:

This is actually the trailer for the video game tie in to Wolverine origins: 2 and Treyarch were kicked off the cod franchise for the sins of 3 and waw.

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
Irridium said:
AH! Why do they have to do the whole amnesia thing? I hate that story element...

I guess I can't really judge much of a teaser trailer, but still. So far not so good.
"Before I kill you, who am I? For you see. I have... AMNESIA!"

I'll keep a close eye on this game to be honest. Treyarch at least made WaW fun for a large amount of people. Even if it was just because of Nazi Zombies.

Stone Wera

Feb 13, 2010
[/quote] "Before I kill you, who am I? For you see. I have... AMNESIA!" [/quote]

All My Circiuts will return after these messagages.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I'm sorry.

I thought I was watching the trailer for Call of Duty, but clearly this is Metal Gear due to all this plot being thrown at me as nothing is explained.

Calumon: How did he get into that room? I think you'd notice people running away with you and attaching you to all those machines.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
and weird doctors for its next take on Call of Duty
All I can think of whenever I read this is Call of Duty: Human Centipede Warfare.

God that film scares the shite out of me, yet I'm becoming obsessed with it.

ON BLOODY TOPIC: I think Treyarch has an oppurtunity here to make a better game than MW2. Hopefully, it will be less short (unlikely, when you think about MW2's sucess), with a less silly plot (unlikely, when you think about MW2's sucess) and with better multiplayer (unlikely, when you think about MW2's sucess).

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Hmm... Now this looks interesting, if a bit cliche'.

Of course any game plot that take a series back a few steps from MW2's absurdadity has to be a positive step.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I started to like Treyarch when they introduced all that blood and gore in WaW. It's clear that IW was only interested in sales so they made a game for kids with almost no blood. I still like MW characters and I want to see what happens with Soap and Price, but they should make MW3 more serious, more blood and gore and longer campaign.

Go Treyarch! People wanted Vietnam, Treyarch apparently listened to the fans. Lets hope they can deliver something special.

Haro

May 27, 2009
here's a tip: he doesn't have amnesia; he's being tortured.

So this is probably going to be the story of a special forces soldier (American most likely) fighting during the cold war in black ops missions in a) vietnam, b) south america, c) middle east (most likely Afghanistan) and finally d) somewhere in the tundra, my guess is Siberia.

He gets captured and is strapped up to electrodes ("double the voltage when he wakes up") and is given various drugs to break his mind, to the point where he nearly dies.

All seems fairly obvious to me. I like cold war drama.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Anyway, I believe in Treyarch. I've always liked 'em more than IW, too.
Nice to see I'm not the only person that feels Treyarch gets an unfair rep. I feel that W@W was at least decent in its story though I feel the series' singlplayer peaked at CoD2. Anyway, this at least looks interesting, we'll see as time goes on.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
So, looks like there's some 'Nam gameplay after all.

Not that i'll be paying for it of course.

MustardTiger

Mar 31, 2010
Thats a pretty nice trailer. After playing MW2 I made a vow to never buy another Call of Duty game, due to the amount of rage those games give me. But y'know? If Treyarch can pull this off then I might just have betray myself.

Also, I could be wrong, but does anyone else think that the creepy doctor kind of sounds like Brandon Keener, the voice actor for Garrus in Mass Effect?