Call Of Duty Elite is here... here's what you'll be paying for

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
I really don't understand what they are charging for that you can't have already?? The game costs as much as it is, let alone forking out for a subscription.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
jpoon said:
Yeah, I definitely won't be paying shit for this. Not going to even consider buying this shitbox game. Activision are the kings of being the "douchebage corporation". They don't deserve a penny from any of the suckers that plan on buying this game.
This is the kind of comment I wanted to avoid on this thread. Whatever you feel about COD, there are some of us who still find it fun.

'Suckers' implies people will be buying something they won't get value from, but most COD players get anything from 3 to 10 days worth of hours from each game.

10 dollar map packs, and paying extra to track your stats, however, can fuck right off.
I can't help but think suckers because the act of them actually paying for this will make it just fine and dandy for more and more to do the same. I'd rather not see it at all.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Captain Placeholder said:
Just because you don't think there is even content doesn't mean others do as well. Remember, millions buy these games every year and play maybe this game and one other. The Premium version of the Elite is what this is aiming for: Those who don't mind spending extra to get more out of a game they love to play. Just because YOU don't think it is a great idea doesn't mean others think that.

Also, I don't think I will be screwing any Industry. In fact, if I want a few extras for a game I bought, yes ME. Not YOU, doesn't mean I am fucking it up for the rest of you, nor are others who will pay for this. Free to play publishers have become very popular, yet Pay to play like Warcraft is also popular. Just because a few went P2P and others are F2P doesn't mean the industry is fucked. Does it? No.
Ok I guess I have to spell it out. Spoiling to alleviate WoT syndrome and some eyestrain.

"Just because you don't think there is even content doesn't mean others do as well. "

This isnt a matter of opinion it is a matter of fact. The largest bulk of content that comes from any multiplayer shooter is not from the developer or publisher its from the players in the form of competition. The moment you have seen every inch of a new map in a shooter, shot new weapon for the first time, Seen better dmg mitigation from new armors for the first time, etc, The developers contribution to content is complete. Now think how long does it take to do that? an hour? 30 minutes? Everything else beyond that that you enjoy... is created by yourself and other players in the form of competition. So why exactly would anyone pay more money to "get more out of a game they love to play" when the the content that you actually enjoy... cannot be crafted by the games makers?

Now, please for a moment stop looking at all the pretty trees and look at the forest before you. Buying into this IS hurting ALL gaming, PERIOD. Its not even debatable as there has been a clear precedent created.

Look at the popularity of the Call of Duty franchise. What has it given us? Its given us a dozen CoD clones desperately grabbing at anything they can try to make money off of by copying the CoD formula. That specific fact is why the shooter genre is in a very stagnate place right now. Why did all these developers try to copypasta CoDs formula? Because that's where the money was going. So because approving of something financially the market has become stale and repetitive by repeatedly copying what has already been done.

And Inb4 you can say "But that doesnt effect gaming as a whole that just effects one genre of games. Wrong again. One need only look at the way Dragon Age 2 was handled to understand that the negative impacts of one section of the industry quickly infect other sections. First rule of dealing with disease. Exposure leads to contamination. EA most noted for their sports division created a lucrative formula that has brought them unimaginable profit. EA saw how lucrative of a formula this was and tried to shoehorn Bioware into utilizing something quite similar in order to push more products out. Why? Because the money dictates what a company can and will try to get away with.

So You still dont see how this effects everybody involved? Its simple. By buying into the elite package to "get a little more out of the game you love" your creating a precedent saying to the company "Yes, I will pay money for this" However, Leaderboards, dedicated servers, hosted videos? this is fluff content that basically takes almost nothing for the dev/pub to create compared to actual in game content. So by buying into this your basically telling the dev/pub, Hey, if you give me some useless trinkets so I can stroke my ePeen to, Ill pay you money, even though the most "work" you did was processing my transaction. If Activision manages to make this successful, Just like what happened with Call of Duty, Others will try to emulate it. Then as others repeatedly try to emulate it, slowly it becomes a "standard" and thus because some people thought "Its ok to pay a little bit to get a little bit more out of the game I love" they unwittingly agreed to accept as a standard less value in exchange for their money, which if it is a standard, everyone has to do the same.

This is why today we see developers release DLC packages that grant less than 1 hours worth of content and expect 10-15$ for it. This is why we see Madden as a copypasta affair but with a full price tag on a yearly basis. This is why we see the same "Brown, bloom filled shooter" that keeps coming out from various developers. It all boils down to the same exact thing every time. This happens for no other reason than because people approved of these negatives with their wallets. Im sorry if people all too often either lack the ability or concern to evaluate what impact their actions will have, but it does not change the fact this IS a bad idea, and if it succeeds it creates a dangerous precedent that will hurt not just those in proximity to the issue, but everyone around it in collateral damage. So please, do not tell Activision your OK with accepting less content and next to no effort on their part in exchange for money, because If you give an inch, invariably they will take a mile.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
jpoon said:
I can't help but think suckers because the act of them actually paying for this will make it just fine and dandy for more and more to do the same. I'd rather not see it at all.
I am about to renew my subscription to Star Wars Galaxies. That doesn't make me a sucker, that means I want to run around a huge fucking galaxy zapping fools with Force Lightning. I enjoy it, I feel it is worth paying for. If you don't, then don't pay for it. But calling people who DO feel it is worth-while to shell out the cash for these services suckers is just bigoted. I suck at shooters. I am great with a real gun, but suck at FPS games, so this would not be a worthwhile investment for me. But I have a friend who I am certain would enjoy the hell out of the services this system offers.

And trust me, if the next big FPS comes out and is entirely a subscription service, I guarantee that you and I won't be the only ones to not buy the game.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Little update

"Elite will include stat-tracking, lots of social-networking options and a bevy of competitions, some of which will be organized like the season of a professional sport. The service's Career stat-tracking and social grouping features will be free for everyone, according to top people who briefed Kotaku on the service at a recent demonstration in New York City."

Source: http://kotaku.com/5806775/how-call-of-duty-elite-works-and-why-you-might-be-paying-for-it

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
I do not think any of these "features" (if you could call them that) warrant a subscription fee, and i do not know of anyone who wants to go through some extra hassle to get something they either A) do not care about OR B) you can already find on the internet.

Cronq

Oct 11, 2010
I don't know what bothers me more, the absolute disgust that Activision has the balls to be the biggest money grubbers in the industry, or the fact that I know CoD: MW3 will be the biggest selling game in history and there will be over 10 million Elite subscribers.

Honestly, I am losing my faith in the human race and Activision is proving this to be a fact.

But really, everyone with a brain understands the importance MW3 will play in keeping the inferiors away from BF3.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I'm certainly not buying Modern Warfare 3, even if it wasn't for the Elite announcement. This just makes me want it even less.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Thank god it's absolutely nothing important. I was really getting worried for a moment that they had completely gone greed crazy.
MiracleOfSound said:
http://www.callofduty.com/elite

b) Choose who you play with - could this mean dedicated servers?
Could this by any chance mean that it won't allow you to party up with a friend, or am I letting my imagination get the better of me?

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
Shut up Karl. You're scamming us, and not even funny either.

On a side note, its finally good that they're admitting that their target audience is twelve-year olds and egotistical frat boys.

Tdc2182 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
http://www.callofduty.com/elite

b) Choose who you play with - could this mean dedicated servers?
Could this by any chance mean that it won't allow you to party up with a friend, or am I letting my imagination get the better of me?
That was exactly my first thought. And I still think that its exactly that.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
That stats screen they showed looks surprisingly similar to something I have seen before.

-checks bungie.net-

I see what you did there activision, I see it and I don't like it one bit.

OT: Yea, activision will be lucky if I buy whatever game they come out with next in the first place, so this is probably not going to be bought by me. I have been having decreasing amounts of fun with the call of duty games since Modern warfare.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Cool, so it's a Clan Tax. Good thing I don't do clans, and I'm even being rewarded for not paying for this by not having to worry about stat tracking. It was shit when they added it in CoD4, and it hasn't gotten any better since.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
to all 3 of those

i can do that for free on every other video game.
also, does that 8 bucks go into actually improving the game everyone knows is going to be as shitty as the last few games? cause if not...you dont deserve it.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
hmmm, it depends. If, when MW3 comes along I feel like I will play it lots, then yeah sure it looks good. But if not then I won't.

Anyway I applied to take part in the beta on their website so hopefully I get a chance to experience it before subscribing.

EDIT:
Captain Placeholder said:
Just because you don't think there is even content doesn't mean others do as well. Remember, millions buy these games every year and play maybe this game and one other. The Premium version of the Elite is what this is aiming for: Those who don't mind spending extra to get more out of a game they love to play. Just because YOU don't think it is a great idea doesn't mean others think that.

Also, I don't think I will be screwing any Industry. In fact, if I want a few extras for a game I bought, yes ME. Not YOU, doesn't mean I am fucking it up for the rest of you, nor are others who will pay for this. Free to play publishers have become very popular, yet Pay to play like Warcraft is also popular. Just because a few went P2P and others are F2P doesn't mean the industry is fucked. Does it? No.
Well said.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
"...features, such as stats, groups, and much more are free to everyone. The paid aspects haven't been announced." - Robert Bowling.

So I guess it doesn't look too bad, I would never pay for stat tracking etc but unless they announce something crazy awesome I can't imagine myself ever paying for this.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
So, it's what Bungie has been doing for free? I'm so glad I'm not a CoD player. I just wonder if this will effect sales at all.