Call of Duty Elite on PC Delayed and Debilitated

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Call of Duty Elite on PC Delayed and Debilitated

The PC version of Call of Duty Elite has been delayed and when it does eventually launch, it will have "reduced functionality" compared to its console cousins.

Call of Duty Elite, the multiplayer platform for games like Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Pc/dp/B003JVF728/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1320423982&sr=8-4], is slated to launch on November 8 alongside MW3. Unless you're playing on a PC, that is; if that's the case, then the only thing anybody seems to know for sure at this point is that when it finally does come around, you won't be able to do as much with it as you can with the 360 and PS3 versions.

"We're as committed as ever to the PC, but the need to ensure a safe PC environment is greater than ever. It's really extensive. We need more time to get there, so Elite on PC will not launch on Day One," Beachhead Studio boss Chacko Sonny said in a One of Swords interview [http://oneofswords.com/2011/10/call-of-duty-elite-october-2011-update/]. "We're working our butts off to make it happen, but we won't release it until we know that PC gamers can enjoy Elite as it's meant to be."

"The issue here is that the PC is an insecure platform. Without a central, trusted resource for stats, a lot of our competition features become unfair," he continued. "We can't give away prizes when people can easily cheat their stats. Leaderboards are less fun when a lot of the users are there unfairly."

"Not being able to trust stats is a big problem for our design. Because of this, we had to re-imagine Elite for PC," added Product Director Noah Heller. "Elite for PC will be about access to your own stats, or those of your friends. Basically establishing a circle of trust. And because it will have some reduced functionality, it will be free for everyone."

Exactly how the functionality will be reduced wasn't discussed, although Heller did state that because there's no paid option for the PC version of Elite, PC gamers won't have access to discounted DLC. "PC guys will be able to purchase their DLC content a la carte, just like it has worked before," he said.

At this point, Beachhead isn't even guessing when the PC version of Elite will be released. "We're working on it, but it is not going to come out until we've done a lot more work," Sonny said. "It will be ready when it is ready."

via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5856324/call-of-duty-elite-delayed-on-yes-pc]

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Thats it, Im not buying Call of Duty ever again.
Screw activision, If I see someone who works there, I will wave my £40 in front of his/her face.

Apr 28, 2008
People hack the shit out of leaderboards on consoles as well.

I remember people getting billions(and negative billions) of points in Modern Warfare 2's leaderboards.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Nice to see Activision keeping up its good relations with the PC community. Just another reason I'm glad the last one I played was 4.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I still dont fully understand this CoD elite thing, isnt it just that you pay money to view your stats?

You know, one of things that ruined Call of Duty in the first place.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
wooty said:
I still dont fully understand this CoD elite thing, isnt it just that you pay money to view your stats?

You also get Stuart Brown (XboxAhoy)'s Manly British Voice doing weapon guides... except he gave a link to the playlist.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I can't see why I should be mad at Activision or the game over this. Blame the douchebags who measure their worth in life by how high they can unfairly put themselves on a leaderboard. If they would just play honestly instead of cheating, this wouldn't be a problem.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Of course, the PC version wont sell very well because of 'piracy'.

Not because the game's a load of tripe and PC gamers, being older on average, aren't subject to peer pressure from the other 12 year olds in their class to buy it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This just brings me back to the original Halo 2 leader boards. Those were the days... you know, when you could trust the leader board to be 100% hacked all the time! :D

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Why is everyone so bothered by this? No PC gamer would ever pay for Elite anyway. And this way those PC gamers that play CoD will get it for free.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Only thing I can honestly say against it has already been said:

Irridium said:
People hack the shit out of leaderboards on consoles as well.

I remember people getting billions(and negative billions) of points in Modern Warfare 2's leaderboards.
But other than that, the decision makes sense.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I find this hilariously ironic seeing that CoD started on PC's.

Also, going overboard on security precautions for leaderboards? If it was me i would have just said fuck the leaderboards.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
wooty said:

Its a lot more then that. Its much more advanced stat tracking then any of their other games, more leaderboards, free dlc, maps every month, early access to dlc and much more. Pretty much if you would normally buy all of their map packs then you save money by getting elite.
Didnt know about the DLC and map packs, I just heard it was stat tracking but that sounds better.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
and all that considered that they cocked up security for pc in the first place with mw2 and the godawefull VAC -.-

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
They actually handled that little bomb admirably well. Now, if only people read the article.