Call of Duty: Ghosts Campaign Trailer Brings The Fight into Space

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Call of Duty: Ghosts Campaign Trailer Brings The Fight into Space

<youtube=SumIZb6qMJw>

This trailer has everything: A space-shooting, the apocalypse, family bonding. Everything!

The newest trailer for Call of Duty: Ghosts focuses on the two key ingredients of every Call of Duty campaign, and both of its key ingredients; story and spectacle. While the story isn't laid out clearly, there are a few tidbits. Ardent fans probably know that this new CoD run is set in a post-apocalyptic scenario where the US has been destroyed. What you may not have realized is that the plot seems to revolve around a father-and-son pair of elite "Ghost" operatives.

As for the spectacle, where do I start? The trailer features the following: A gunfight in space, fighter jets, and an orbital strike that destroys a whole city! Oh yeah. The dog's in there too, if only for a second.

Believe it or not, there are some people - myself included - who pick up Call of Duty for the single-player campaign. Whether its the story or the roller coaster ride chock full of bullets and exploding stuff, don't count that single-player experience out.

Call of Duty: Ghosts comes to PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U and PC on November 5, and will be available at launch on both PS4 and Xbox One.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SumIZb6qMJw]

Snazzymathematics

Apr 16, 2013
That's pretty cool, I hope it's not ultra-liner where I can't move to the side without it saying "I'm leaving the battlefield."

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Did anyone else laugh when the astronauts pulled out guns?

Also, "The enemy attacked from south of the equator"? What, so they're getting invaded by... Brazil?

Lastly, I notice that they've decided to compensate for their inability to create a compelling character by just sticking skull masks on everybody. After all, it was the one defining characteristic of that guy that everyone liked in MW2 for some mysterious reason. Maybe lightning will strike twice.

Okay, okay, I'm done hipstering it up for today.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Now all we need is a time machine that sends soldiers back in time to change the outcomes of various battles during Antiquity and medieval times, and CoD has pretty much expanded to harbor ALL the audiences!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Zhukov said:
Considering that I was allowed to do the same in Black Ops 1 already... not really. In fact, the near-lack of sound made that one map more intense. And if you forgot your space suit (which you COULD in that case), you actually died when you walked outside. No fancy message "you need a space suit to leave" or not even locked doors. You could just walk outside fine and dandy - for about 5 seconds. In fact, in SOME cases, you HAD to, otherwise things would go really bad (thankfully, the room where you had to go to and some in between have air and some suits to pick up for your way back).

And for some reason, I expect all that to happen (or not happen) what would be bad - no way to continue without suit, no bothering of the lack of air (and hence sound)...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
A man who truly loves his country doesn't just give his life. He gives his son's.
As far as I know, human sacrifice is kind of frowned upon in most Western societies.

Anyway, I don't care what people say; yes, CoD is still CoD but at least Infinity Ward knows how to do CoD properly. AKA they turn it up to 11 and bring out some cool looking stuff.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
It's interesting that they're looking away from "Modern Warfare" and looking into a parallel to Black Ops. One becomes the neon-stained, brightly-colored future (Black OPs II) and the other looks a little more Mad Max world-gone-to-hell future.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Cowabungaa said:
Anyway, I don't care what people say; yes, CoD is still CoD but at least Infinity Ward knows how to do CoD properly. AKA they turn it up to 11 and bring out some cool looking stuff.
And then put you on glue-covered, magnetized rails and a FoV of 60.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I said this on another site, but I'll say it here as well:

"A man who truly loves his country doesn't just give his life. He gives his son's..."

Quoting from the Fascist Guide To Parenting there Infinity Ward? It's a bit creepy when the trailer you're using to sell your game to the fanbase sounds like it could have been written by Joseph Goebbels.
Huh.

I thought it just sounded cringe-inducingly patriotic, but yeah... now that you mention it, it does sound pretty fascist. Primacy of the state and all that.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Zhukov said:
I did the same, don't worry.

Zhukov said:
Also, "The enemy attacked from south of the equator"? What, so they're getting invaded by... Brazil?
Australia, obviously.

The Empire of Yahtzee will rise up and conquer America to enforce the daily wearing of Fedoras and consumption of Tea. Also all American swearwords will be replaced with overly long and gratuitous insults.

On a more serious note, I don't understand why games companies feel the need to make America into the underdog in games. With the balance of power in the world as it is they keep having to come up with more and more contrived excuses for why *INSERT COUNTRY NAME HERE* is suddenly a threat to the US. I know there's some bizarre feeling that Americans can't empathise with non Americans - possibly one of the most insulting assumptions one could make - but there's plenty of evidence that that's bunk. Go out and do something a bit different guys, you never know - it might work.

Tkappa

Mar 10, 2012
Did anyone else notice the dog jumping on a helicopter and bringing it down?About 1.25/1.30 in the trailer.
It's like they don't want the "Call of Duty: Dogs" jokes to end.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Bindal said:
Cowabungaa said:
And then put you on glue-covered, magnetized rails and a FoV of 60.
Well yes, hence why I said that CoD is still CoD. We can't expect miracles now can we?

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
I think people are confusing extraordinary with outlandish.

Space combat, dogs taking down helicopters.

What the hell, man?

Slight

Oct 8, 2008
Made me think of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYHarHGILC4

What are you doing with a gun in space?!

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
You guys are all no fun.

This looks like the usual fantastically ridiculous action movie the CoD campaigns have been since Modern Warfare.

I think it actually looks fantastic, though, as usual, not worth a full $60. They should allow people to buy the campaign separately for less. I'd be all over that.