Call of Duty: Ghosts Dog Reaction Was a Surprise to Activision

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

The team at Infinity Ward had no idea we would care about that mo-cap dog so much.

Read Full Article

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Greg Tito said:

The team at Infinity Ward had no idea we would care about that mo-cap dog so much.

Read Full Article
Shhh...

Nobody tell them it was all sarcasm...

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Do people care?

From what I've seen it seems to be more "mocking" than "caring".

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Wait, IW, that wasn't care! That was mockery! ... Great now having a dog is gonna be a new craze.

Captcha: No Interest. Good going, Captcha. Don't fall for their tricks.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Yeah, it was obvious to everyone else that it was sarcasm. But as for why people focused on that? My guess would be that it was the only thing at the Xbox One reveal that had anything to do with freaking video games.

Then again there are a serious lack of games where you get to play as a dog, and about a million games where you play as a modern soldier shooting foreigners, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Damnit, I don't want the dog to die anymore. It's still going to die, I'm fairly certain of that, but now it has my name so I don't want it to die...

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I believe the CoD Dawg was only being talked about so highly was purely because of sarcastic purposes, but then it actually started to develop a fan base.

I, for one, embrace our new virtual canine overlords.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
It seems the sarcasm detectors at Infinity Ward are in need of some repair.

Also, in regards to the dog dying. Of course it's going to die, that's how these guys work. The only reason the dog is there is to die, so they can force some cheap emotional impact.

If he manages to make it through the whole game without actually dying, I'll be shocked.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Hey now, I care about the dog. I expect he'll be the best written, least stereotypical character, and have the best dialogue.

Hell, just replace all the hoorah meatheads with dogs, and it'd be a better game all around.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
We've all called that the shocking twist ending will be that the dog survives! It's either that, or they put him in 'cos people who're emotionally blank robots will still die when a dog dies.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
oldtaku said:
Hey now, I care about the dog. I expect he'll be the best written, least stereotypical character, and have the best dialogue.

Hell, just replace all the hoorah meatheads with dogs, and it'd be a better game all around.
Now that you mention it, playing as Shadow in Dead to Rights: Remake was pretty awesome, so I would absolutely play a game about an all-dog squad of mercenaries; the obvious title being Dogs of War.

OT: This is kind of sad. It's like the slow kid in your class who doesn't realise he's being made fun of and starts laughing along with everyone else.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
what. has something happened while I wasn't looking? sarcasm? I genuinely think that the dog is awesome. It's already shaping up to be the second most relatable character in the entire series. Right after Captain Price's moustache.

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
... Am I the only one who is actually looking forward to what they plan on doing with the dog? It looks pretty cool, hopefully it will introduce a new combat or scouting mechanic. And most of all, it's a German Shepard, the best breed of dog in existence.

If it dies I will shed many a tear.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
anthony87 said:
Do people care?

From what I've seen it seems to be more "mocking" than "caring".
Thats what I was going to say. I guess Activision believes the adage, "Theres no such thing as bad publicity[footnote][sub]Which I do believe is false, if Microsoft is anything to go by.[/sub][/footnote]."

*Edit*

Splitzi said:
... Am I the only one who is actually looking forward to what they plan on doing with the dog? It looks pretty cool, hopefully it will introduce a new combat or scouting mechanic. And most of all, it's a German Shepard, the best breed of dog in existence.

Just start crying... we all know its gonna happen in the second to final level of the singleplayer...

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Greg? Greeeeeegg? Is this a joke? Is your satire too next level for me? At least on reddit there's been nothing but widespread derision and outcries of "what the hell, why am I playing as a dog?".

This is Call of Duty partially jumping the shark. Next thing you know they'll be mo-capping spec ops dolphins and asking who shot jr.

Actually wait that sounds like it'd actually be really fun.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Splitzi said:

Indications were that it would play like prior drone missions.

Not exactly seeing much grounds for new mechanics.