Call of Duty: Ghosts Patch Removes 6 GB RAM Requirement

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Call of Duty: Ghosts Patch Removes 6 GB RAM Requirement

You'll now be able to play Call of Duty: Ghosts with just 4 GB of RAM.

What is going on with PC system requirements these days? First, there were those Call of Duty: Ghosts specs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128484-Watch-Dogs-Revised-PC-Specs-Are-Even-More-Demanding]. But, has it all been smoke and mirrors? Acitivsion has just released a large patch for Ghosts, that drops the 6 GB RAM requirement down to 4 GB.

Previously, if you tried to play the game with 2, 4, or, God forbid, 5 GB of RAM, the game would simply throw up an error and refuse to launch. The latest patch has moved that error down to the 4 GB threshold, and gives a "warning" to players with less than 6 GB. It seems like a rather arbitrary thing to do, I don't see what the harm in letting people at least try to run the game on laughably out-of-date hardware would bring.

The patch also comes with its fair share of bug fixes, and optimization updates as well as a broadcaster mode, eSports rules, and a 4K display option. A much smaller update was also released for the PS3, Xbox 360 and PS4 versions of the game, which simply stomp out a couple of bugs.

You can check out the full change log here [http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200795177#.Uox8DcQqgWn].

Source: Activision [http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200795177#.Uox8DcQqgWn]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Now we only need the removal of the 30fps limit for the PC version of Need for Speed Rivals (I know there is probably an easy fix but its laughable what the publishers are trying to do to promote next-gen consoles).

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
It seems like a rather arbitrary thing to do, I don't see what the harm in letting people at least try to run the game on laughably out-of-date hardware would bring.
This comment contains a large amount of sarcasm that is completely unrequired in this article.

People may not be able to afford any better than "laughably out of date" hardware. Congratulations on your position of privilege, that you can sneer at them.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Omegatronacles said:
Steven Bogos said:
It seems like a rather arbitrary thing to do, I don't see what the harm in letting people at least try to run the game on laughably out-of-date hardware would bring.
This comment contains a large amount of sarcasm that is completely unrequired in this article.

People may not be able to afford any better than "laughably out of date" hardware. Congratulations on your position of privilege, that you can sneer at them.
If 6 GB Ram is a "position of privilege" then my 16 GB makes me the king of England.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Omegatronacles said:
Steven Bogos said:

So because they have less money those people need to be treated with as special snowflakes and with kid glove? Congratulations on your position of patronisation.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Omegatronacles said:
Steven Bogos said:

So what? Let the game run on said "laughably out of date" hardware, a friend of mine completed Borderlands on a PC that only managed about 12fps, he still enjoyed it. This way he couldnt.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
josemlopes said:
(I know there is probably an easy fix but its laughable what the publishers are trying to do to promote next-gen consoles).
No, there is no "easy fix" as they apparently tied the speed of the game to the framerate. Meaning if you increase the framerate - you increase the speed of the game itself. And setting it to 120 just breaks the game entirely.
http://t.co/pu0Cw8F25L

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Bindal said:
josemlopes said:
(I know there is probably an easy fix but its laughable what the publishers are trying to do to promote next-gen consoles).
No, there is no "easy fix" as they apparently tied the speed of the game to the framerate. Meaning if you increase the framerate - you increase the speed of the game itself. And setting it to 120 just breaks the game entirely.
Holy shit, these guys are just going full retard with next-gen.

Its like they built two identical houses but then put one of them on fire to say that the other is better.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Bindal said:
Holy crap, that's extremely bad practice.

What the hell were they thinking?
Steven Bogos said:
or, God forbid, 5 GB of RAM
Wait, 5 GB of RAM? That's a rather strange amount to have...

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
IceForce said:
I find it odd but a used office computer that my dad bought from Sasktel had a very strange configuration including 5GB of ram.

It was a Pentium 4 3GHZ processor with 5 GB of ram. The weirdest part is that when I opened up the computer the ram was built into the motherboard itself, under a heatsink.

EDIT: Scratch that, it was actually my Uncle who found it then my dad bought it from him. I cannot remember what computer he got from Sasktel.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
There is actually a better fan made patch out, doesn't limit you to 4 either.
And on that "out of date hardware" comment, buddy have you seen this game... it's about as new and pretty as my grannies ankles, I'd be surprised if this prehistoric engine even knew what to do with 1GB let alone 6.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Activision pretending their game is more advanced than it is by placing arbitrary hardware limits and huge uncompressed textures to bump up the install size, very mature.

If they would just admit that it's a Quake Engine game and get on with it they could sell Call of Duty to pretty much every PC sold in the last five years, but nope, we have to be more advanced than that other modern military shooter that completely dominates the PC market, completely missing the point as to why it dominates in the process.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
J Tyran said:
Omegatronacles said:
Steven Bogos said:

So because they have less money those people need to be treated with as special snowflakes and with kid glove? Congratulations on your position of patronisation.
I don't believe it is patronising to request that someone who posts an article on a news site display some basic journalistic objectivity.

My issue is not the fact that some people do not have 6gb of RAM and would not have been able to play the game prepatch. My issue is that sarcastic comments to the detriment of others has no place in a news story.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
Omegatronacles said:
J Tyran said:
Omegatronacles said:
Steven Bogos said:

I don't believe it is patronising to request that someone who posts an article on a news site display some basic journalistic objectivity.

My issue is not the fact that some people do not have 6gb of RAM and would not have been able to play the game prepatch. My issue is that sarcastic comments to the detriment of others has no place in a news story.
Gee so much hate for nothing. I'm running 4gig machine and I was not offended what the deal guys? :D

Side note: I'm so deep in the stone age that I still feel like... HOLY SHIT 16gig beast!

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
If 6 GB Ram is a "position of privilege" then my 16 GB makes me the king of England.
Does that make me the God Emperor of the world with my 32gb of RAM? I had 4gb on my previous computer, but bumped it up to 8 this spring after I realized that most new PC-only games had 4gb as the minimum specs. At this point 4gb really is bordering on too low for most contemporary games, there's no way around it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Funny thing is, the game actually uses 1.5 GB of ram when being played, so even 4 GB is twice more than the game actually needs. Though granted with OS that hogs 1.5 GB on idle this may be closer to reality. Still there is absolutely no reason to hardcode the requirements, ever. If a person wants to run it on lower specs - he should be allowed to.

Bindal said:
josemlopes said:
thats 1995 DOS games level of stupidity. This should never happen in modern game programming. I mean seriuosly how stupid must you be!

Steven Bogos said:
HI, 4 GB machine reporting in, enough to run any game released up to date.

IceForce said:
I got a machine that has 864 MB of ram. how you ask? Simple, 5 RAM slots, all 5 with DIFFERENT sized rams in them. this PC is a frankenstein of "yeah is cavenged that of this pc that died" or "this was left over from the 3 pc asembly[footnote] there was event when a client came in with 3 non-working PCs and asked me to assemble one working and i would keep the rest. I salvaged a working HDD, PSU and RAM from it and plenty of fans. One had broken HDD, other was with burned GPU, third one was jsut a very nasty virus.[/footnote]

Capcha: Keep calm
And let out daleks you mean?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
I don't see what the harm in letting people at least try to run the game on laughably out-of-date hardware...
... to play a laughably linear games with laughably narrow corridors running on a laughably ancient engine.

Laugh away.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
This is what happens when publishers try to push software as "next-gen". There is nothing "next-gen" about any of these games, or these consoles, and the fact the publishers and developers are all in it together to try and squeeze more money out of the uninformed is disgusting.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
That game ran just fine with 4 gigs of ram(with unofficial patch) on max settings and it looked just slightly better then the previous ones, i have no idea why they came up with these requirements, perhaps they really wanted to pretend that their engine is beefier than battlefields, or they were trying to avoid poor people who are still using their 4 - 5 year old pc's from playing their game.