Call of Duty: Ghosts Review - Dogs of War

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
Call of Duty: Ghosts Review - Dogs of War

Infinity Ward expertly tweaks the dials to give an even more refined Call of Duty experience.

Read Full Article
 

josemlopes

New member
Jun 9, 2008
3,950
0
0
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
Is the gameplay similar to shitty MW3?

Refering to MP only. I couldn't care less about SP.
 

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
4,691
0
0
So the leaning is only contextual and you can only lean near corners? I was actually interested in Ghosts until I read that bit in the review. At least there's a slide but with no manual lean...
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
I was actually pretty tempted for like 5 minutes when I heard the maps were good.

Then I googled and realized there was no FOV slider. I won't even spend 2 seconds considering whether to buy it till they patch one in.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,678
727
118
Country
Argentina
I'm so used to hearing how bad COD is that I always forget it might actually be at least passably good.
 

WanderingFool

New member
Apr 9, 2009
3,991
0
0
Phoenixmgs said:
So the leaning is only contextual and you can only lean near corners? I was actually interested in Ghosts until I read that bit in the review. At least there's a slide but with no manual lean...
Whats so important about leaning? (serious question)
 

josemlopes

New member
Jun 9, 2008
3,950
0
0
WanderingFool said:
Phoenixmgs said:
So the leaning is only contextual and you can only lean near corners? I was actually interested in Ghosts until I read that bit in the review. At least there's a slide but with no manual lean...
Whats so important about leaning? (serious question)
Its mostly a case of having more options on how you interact with the game, you can choose if you want to expose your full body or just a small part of it (adding another thing to think about when you are in the middle of the action).

The big deal that people make out of it is that its such a simple feature (that in the end adds more depth to the meat of the game) that has been in shooter for quite some time and out of nothing it disappeared due to console gaming (leaning is somewhat weirdly handled with controllers, so developers stopped using it, the now popular contextualised leaning seems to be the best fix for console leaning) so obviously PC gamers feel that even such feature was held back due to consoles (and you know how that sort of thing goes).

It isnt that important but in the end its something that could be there for use.
 

Matt Dellar

New member
Jun 26, 2011
164
0
0
Unfortunately, the PC version is riddled with issues at the moment. Maybe I'm spoiled, coming from Counter-Strike, but I don't feel like random bursts of super-high mouse sensitivity, crashes to desktop, stuttering, framerate drops, and no autobalance constitutes a good PC port.

If you're considering the PC version, give it a month.
 

Scarecrow

New member
Jun 27, 2010
1,930
0
0
Angst McMagnum said:
Someone help me. How does a DOG steal the show?
Because everything else is so paper thin, a cute puppy stands out as the best thing to associate with.
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
But it is popular! Therefore it is bad and shit and must be ridiculed at every turn and bend in the road!

OT: I haven't really cared for the IW games since Modern Warfare 2's glorious fail. I will stick with the Treyarch games.
 

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
4,448
0
0
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
Agreed. No one can claim that the Call of Duty games are not expertly made games. The only problem for me is that they've done it so often now it's getting tiresome.

The past years I've bought every Call of Duty game simply as my yearly dose of 'big dumb fun'. But the last ones I haven't had nearly as much fun with as, say, the first Modern Warfare games. I think I'll skip this one.
 

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
2,307
0
0
So... Why did this get a video review and not Battlefield 4? I was looking forwards to seeing you guys having a video review for BF4 and now I'm just kinda left disappointed by this.
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
vallorn said:
So... Why did this get a video review and not Battlefield 4? I was looking forwards to seeing you guys having a video review for BF4 and now I'm just kinda left disappointed by this.
It's coming today. I had some issues with some captured footage that required me to redo it and lost a bunch of time on it.
 

MCerberus

New member
Jun 26, 2013
1,168
0
0
My issue is that they've done very little to address the paper-thin depth of the MP, the ease at which borderline-exploits are used, and the infamous community that goes well beyond the mic-screamers. This is a series that trying to play online gets you spammed for hacked lobbies, balance patches get death threats, and concerning yourself with an objective in an objective mode puts you in a slim minority.

The narrative as well has been getting uncomfortable not for its content but for what it's saying, intentionally or not. I liked the thread earlier where someone was confused and asked 'hey is this getting a little fascist'. The community pretty much agreed, yes it is. But hey, they added a dog. Someone you care about.
 

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
3,560
0
0
Another year, another COD... the difference now, is that I get to sell these games to a shitton of moms and teens. Hey!, gotta make money somehow, at least I'll get to sell a few (very few) great games instead of just COD or Fifa.
 

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
2,307
0
0
Slycne said:
vallorn said:
So... Why did this get a video review and not Battlefield 4? I was looking forwards to seeing you guys having a video review for BF4 and now I'm just kinda left disappointed by this.
It's coming today. I had some issues with some captured footage that required me to redo it and lost a bunch of time on it.
Ah thanks for the quick reply I look forwards to watching it! :D
 

sageoftruth

New member
Jan 29, 2010
3,417
0
0
Not bad. I've pretty much been ignoring them since COD4, but this one's kind of drawing me in. Probably the alien invasion. I've been playing X-Com Enemy Unknown recently, so I've got kind of an affinity for aliens right now. I'll keep my eyes on the reviews.
 

Negatempest

New member
May 10, 2008
1,004
0
0
So did anyone read the bottom text under the score?
This review is based primarily on the PS4 version of the game and much of the play time was derived from a review event organized by Activision.

So this tells me the game was not reviewed naturally but in a controlled area. I do not trust reviews like this. It is the same as trusting the snake oil salesman.
 

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
6,652
0
0
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I was actually pretty tempted for like 5 minutes when I heard the maps were good.

Then I googled and realized there was no FOV slider. I won't even spend 2 seconds considering whether to buy it till they patch one in.
You think that's bad? The game doesn't actually need 6Gb of RAM to run. It's an artificial limit. It won't let you start the game without 6Gb, but the actual game doesn't use more than 3Gb on maximum settings and there's already a user made patch for that. I wouldn't buy anything from these guys after they tried pulling something like that.
 

themilo504

New member
May 9, 2010
731
0
0
if they made the single player longer and allowed me to customize my character in It I might consider buying this game, as it stands the game doesn?t have enough content for me to be to consider buying it and I like call of duty multiplayer.

The story feels like such a missed opportunity btw, it would have been very interesting if you played as a Canadian/Mexican soldier in a war against a USA desperate for oil, and yes I know they would never do that.
 

ThunderCavalier

New member
Nov 21, 2009
1,475
0
0
Some of the changes to Multiplayer interest me, but they also remind me a lot of Blops 2's Multiplayer, which actually got pretty stale for me after a while. I dunno, but I didn't see much variety despite the customization available.
 

Duffeknol

New member
Aug 28, 2010
897
0
0
I know this is a lowly nitpick, and I'm not trying to start a BF4 vs COD:G war here... but man, the graphics... they're fucking atrocious.
 

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
1,974
0
0
Duffeknol said:
I know this is a lowly nitpick, and I'm not trying to start a BF4 vs COD:G war here... but man, the graphics... they're fucking atrocious.
What do you expect from a game running on an outdated engine?

OT: CoD: More of the Same. Funny thing is, the lean mechanics introduced are the same as in Killzone 2 and 3. Neverenthless, it's still the same like the other I-dunno-how-many-CoD-titles. While I normally would not give a damn about graphics, the engine is seriously outdated.
 

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
1,314
0
0
Oh dear, 4 stars?
This thread is going to be comedy gold. I already see one person calling the review paid for, one FoV slider purist, and a couple obligatory unoriginal "all CoD is teh same" comments. At this point I think I literally have more fun watching the reaction to CoD reviews than I do playing CoD games.
 

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
1,974
0
0
major_chaos said:
Oh dear, 4 stars?
This thread is going to be comedy gold. I already see one person calling the review paid for, one FoV slider purist, and a couple obligatory unoriginal "all CoD is teh same" comments. At this point I think I literally have more fun watching the reaction to CoD reviews than I do playing CoD games.
Low fov's in PC gaming can lead to headaches and such. And tell me, did CoD anything new since 2? Nevermind every gun feeling and handling the same.
 

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
1,314
0
0
0takuMetalhead said:
And tell me, did CoD anything new since 2?
New guns, new maps, new take on zombies, new perks, new bells and whistles in the MP mode. CoD does about as much different each time as any other sequel, so I have no idea why it gets singled out when so many other games get a free pass.
 

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
1,974
0
0
major_chaos said:
0takuMetalhead said:
And tell me, did CoD anything new since 2?
New guns, new maps, new take on zombies, new perks, new bells and whistles in the MP mode. CoD does about as much different each time as any other sequel, so I have no idea why it gets singled out when so many other games get a free pass.
The diffirences aren't big though, the biggest issue is that CoD now has a yearly release (BF aswell I believe don't quote me on it) meaning no time for a new engine, let alone proper single player campaigns. The latter being handholding 101 anyway. Don't gett me started on how flawed MP is.
 

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
4,252
0
0
Ghosts is one of the games I'm getting in my PS4 bundle as a replacement for Watchdogs along with Black Flag. I suppose it'll fill some time after the launch hype, probably trade it in for KZ: Shadowfall or BF4 if I don't like it.
 

saxxon.de

New member
Apr 18, 2011
112
0
0
4 Stars. More likeable characters and more fresh ideas than GTA V, then? Who would've thought..
 

Ferisar

New member
Oct 2, 2010
814
0
0
saxxon.de said:
4 Stars. More likeable characters and more fresh ideas than GTA V, then? Who would've thought..
This isn't being rated against GTA 5. They aren't in the same genre, narrative, gameplay style, they don't have the same goals, and etc. There's very little (if none at all) reason to compare the two.
 

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
1,435
0
0
major_chaos said:
0takuMetalhead said:
And tell me, did CoD anything new since 2?
New guns, new maps, new take on zombies, new perks, new bells and whistles in the MP mode. CoD does about as much different each time as any other sequel, so I have no idea why it gets singled out when so many other games get a free pass.
The developers alternate years, Treyarch makes zombies, Infinity Ward doesn't have the rights to zombies ("so of course new spin") So what you really need to be arguing about asking yourselves, is this one any different from COD:MW3?
 

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
4,691
0
0
WanderingFool said:
Phoenixmgs said:
So the leaning is only contextual and you can only lean near corners? I was actually interested in Ghosts until I read that bit in the review. At least there's a slide but with no manual lean...
Whats so important about leaning? (serious question)
It just adds so much to the gunplay dynamics. I lean in a shooter mainly to correct my aim; if I initially aim a bit off to the left or right, I will lean to correct it as it's faster. Also, you don't have to put your face butt up against a wall to lean around a wall (which is what the context sensitive lean makes you do), you can lean around a wall if you're 20 feet behind it if you want. In MoH Warfighter, I constantly use the slide and lean in-tandem; if an opponent and I both see each other in the open, I slide on him and lean off the slide as the slide results in you being crouched (less recoil) and the lean is to make it even harder to hit me so the quick movement of the slide coupled with the lean wins so many gunfights. Lastly, leaning when you are right up against a wall isn't even that great of an idea to be honest as I barely use the lean when right on a wall.

And pretty much this as well:

josemlopes said:
Its mostly a case of having more options on how you interact with the game, you can choose if you want to expose your full body or just a small part of it (adding another thing to think about when you are in the middle of the action).

The big deal that people make out of it is that its such a simple feature (that in the end adds more depth to the meat of the game) that has been in shooter for quite some time and out of nothing it disappeared due to console gaming (leaning is somewhat weirdly handled with controllers, so developers stopped using it, the now popular contextualised leaning seems to be the best fix for console leaning) so obviously PC gamers feel that even such feature was held back due to consoles (and you know how that sort of thing goes).

It isnt that important but in the end its something that could be there for use.
I don't even PC game and I hate not having a lean in a console shooter. I played Metal Gear Online for 4 years on PS3, it was a 3rd-person shooter that had 1st-person leaning. If a fucking TPS can have leaning, then a FPS better fucking have it too. There's nothing on a console that restricts the lean mechanic. You can use the d-pad to leaning like Metal Gear Online, it works just fine as you won't be using the left stick to be moving. Or you can do what MoH Warfighter did and hold a shoulder button while then using the left stick to lean. The console lean is even better than the PC lean as well since you can have an analog lean (the d-pad is analog on the PS2/3 controllers whereas keyboard buttons are digital). Don't blame the lack of lean on consoles, it's all on the developers. And a contextual lean sucks because you don't even want to be leaning so close to a wall because if you get rushed unexpectedly, you're most likely dead-to-rights as your freedom of movement a rather restricted. Lastly, a lean in extremely important and changes gunfights quite a lot, the best player in MoH Warfighter hated playing against me the most because I'm constantly leaning even when in the open (where the lean is actually the most useful), I also constantly slide and lean off slides as well.
 

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
2,281
0
0
Cosmonauts and mind controlled attack dogs? Why, it's just like Red Alert 2!

...wait, I'm supposed to take it seriously? No cartoonish B-movie charm? Just me and my mind controlled attack dog caught up in a serious war drama?

Huh, guess that's actually even funnier. Ghost story it is, then.
 

BarrelsOfDouche

New member
Apr 5, 2008
50
0
0
I wonder how it is that certain journalism sites give games like Batman: Arkham Origins low scores due to lack on innovation, yet still have the gall to give games in the Call of Duty series 8s and 9s.

Activision are like...the absolute kings of re-iterating the same crap and charging you more for it, and people keep lapping it up. Ghosts does not even look next gen on high end PCs compared to even games like Battlefield 3...

Even that dog model looks dated.
 

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
6,948
0
0
Yeah, this review still won't make me pick it up.
I'll trust the review of good ol' Jim Sterling and TotalBiscuit's "WTF is ..." video.

The graphics look dated. (Compared to other games such as Battlefield 4)
The story doesn't seem interesting like a few past Call of Duties.
And the gameplay seems same as always.

Honestly I just don't feel like picking up the same thing every year.
But that is just my opinion, I'm not hating on the games it is just that there are other FPSs out there improving the genre. Like BF4 or Shadow Warrior.
And I'm not hating because I'm a whatever fanboy, I damn loved the series up till Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
I just don't see any improvement in gameplay since then.

You know what review I am looking forward to of the game ... Angry Joe's.
Apart from that, the review was the reviewer's opinion and I shall respect that.
 

Splitzi

New member
Apr 29, 2012
105
0
0
I've seen some gameplay and man does it look like shit. You'd think taking two years to make an iterative, cookie cutter game would turn out something at least mediocre.
 

Zetatrain

Regular Member
May 1, 2020
746
12
13
Country
United States
Eh, pretty much I what I expected. I'll probably just rent it for the single player as its always been the equivalent of a decent popcorn movie. I've kinda been burned out on the multiplayer since MW2 and since BLOPS 2's MP didn't hold my attention for more than 2 days I doubt I'll be playing Ghosts for the MP.
BarrelsOfDouche said:
I wonder how it is that certain journalism sites give games like Batman: Arkham Origins low scores due to lack on innovation, yet still have the gall to give games in the Call of Duty series 8s and 9s.
Well keep in mind that reviews for two certain games may not have been done by the same reviewer/person. This sort of reminds me of how people on Dtoid called foul on Jim Sterling for giving The Witcher II a 6 when Dragon Age II got a 7 despite the fact that he didn't review DAII. Of course, I'm not saying that there aren't journalists that have double standards.
 

AJey

New member
Feb 11, 2011
164
0
0
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
But it is popular! Therefore it is bad and shit and must be ridiculed at every turn and bend in the road!

OT: I haven't really cared for the IW games since Modern Warfare 2's glorious fail. I will stick with the Treyarch games.
StarCraft is popular. Magic the Gathering is popular. Deus Ex is popular. Batman games are popular. Even Hearthstone is now popular despite how new it is. So no, your argument is completely wrong. Popularity does not constitute a negative reaction. Games themselves do.
 

bjj hero

New member
Feb 4, 2009
3,180
0
0
So theres opening gates now? And I always thought the "Meanwhile in Call of Duty..." battle field comments were only for comedy value.
 

Hawkeye21

New member
Oct 25, 2011
249
0
0
Apparently Ghosts campaign ending is pretty much copy-pasted from MW2. Quality gamemaking right there:

 

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
329
0
0
major_chaos said:
one FoV slider purist
I don't see how this is something to mock. In this day, I'm kind of offput by games with low FOV on PC and I just end up getting motion sickness and being unable to play. I think if there's something that makes the game unplayable, then I think it's fair to bring up.
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
But it is popular! Therefore it is bad and shit and must be ridiculed at every turn and bend in the road!

OT: I haven't really cared for the IW games since Modern Warfare 2's glorious fail. I will stick with the Treyarch games.
StarCraft is popular. Magic the Gathering is popular. Deus Ex is popular. Batman games are popular. Even Hearthstone is now popular despite how new it is. So no, your argument is completely wrong. Popularity does not constitute a negative reaction. Games themselves do.
Did you ever hear of the word "sarcasm"?
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
"much of the play time was derived from a review event organized by Activision."

Look, i know every reviewer is pretty much forced to do this to get their reviews out on time but it dosen't make the review environment any less contrived. These things leave a bad taste in our collective mouths.
 

ExtraDebit

New member
Jul 16, 2011
533
0
0
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
But it is popular! Therefore it is bad and shit and must be ridiculed at every turn and bend in the road!

OT: I haven't really cared for the IW games since Modern Warfare 2's glorious fail. I will stick with the Treyarch games.
That's not quite wrong, almost all popular stuff is shit because being popular means understanding and acceptance amongst the average people and since majority of the human race are idiots and morons, what the majority found good will inevitably be shit in quality.
 

Sheo_Dagana

New member
Aug 12, 2009
966
0
0
There's something about the CoD series that I just don't get. I've tried the MP in a few installments and got bored with it pretty quickly. Maybe it's because my FPS of choice is Halo, which is extremely different. I don't quite get why this game got a 4/5 though, as the review made it sound like a pretty run of the mill shooter.

It'll be interesting to see how the numbers pan out for this game - I feel like it didn't get nearly as much marketing as the other games, maybe because they realized it was going to be hard to compete with GTA V. I'm sure it'll still sell like crazy, perhaps the lack of marketing was simply due to audience's familiarity with the CoD series.
 

Deathfish15

New member
Nov 7, 2006
579
0
0
This review cannot be serious? Every other site is giving the game an average 6.5 to 7 at best. An 8/10 from your site? Really? Ghost is nothing but a shill, an attempt to milk the CoD property without putting any real effort into it. The game is the worse release in the series since Modern Warfare 2. There's no innovation, nothing new...basically stick with Black OPs II if you already have it. The game [Ghost] is junk.
 

AJey

New member
Feb 11, 2011
164
0
0
Ponyholder said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
But it is popular! Therefore it is bad and shit and must be ridiculed at every turn and bend in the road!

OT: I haven't really cared for the IW games since Modern Warfare 2's glorious fail. I will stick with the Treyarch games.
StarCraft is popular. Magic the Gathering is popular. Deus Ex is popular. Batman games are popular. Even Hearthstone is now popular despite how new it is. So no, your argument is completely wrong. Popularity does not constitute a negative reaction. Games themselves do.
Did you ever hear of the word "sarcasm"?
I did, and what you said was not sarcasm.
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
But it is popular! Therefore it is bad and shit and must be ridiculed at every turn and bend in the road!

OT: I haven't really cared for the IW games since Modern Warfare 2's glorious fail. I will stick with the Treyarch games.
StarCraft is popular. Magic the Gathering is popular. Deus Ex is popular. Batman games are popular. Even Hearthstone is now popular despite how new it is. So no, your argument is completely wrong. Popularity does not constitute a negative reaction. Games themselves do.
Did you ever hear of the word "sarcasm"?
I did, and what you said was not sarcasm.
I think I would know if what I wrote was intended as sarcasm or not, kid.
 

AJey

New member
Feb 11, 2011
164
0
0
Ponyholder said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
But it is popular! Therefore it is bad and shit and must be ridiculed at every turn and bend in the road!

OT: I haven't really cared for the IW games since Modern Warfare 2's glorious fail. I will stick with the Treyarch games.
StarCraft is popular. Magic the Gathering is popular. Deus Ex is popular. Batman games are popular. Even Hearthstone is now popular despite how new it is. So no, your argument is completely wrong. Popularity does not constitute a negative reaction. Games themselves do.
Did you ever hear of the word "sarcasm"?
I did, and what you said was not sarcasm.
I think I would know if what I wrote was intended as sarcasm or not, kid.
What you intended and what you wrote are two very different things, kid.
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
But it is popular! Therefore it is bad and shit and must be ridiculed at every turn and bend in the road!

OT: I haven't really cared for the IW games since Modern Warfare 2's glorious fail. I will stick with the Treyarch games.
StarCraft is popular. Magic the Gathering is popular. Deus Ex is popular. Batman games are popular. Even Hearthstone is now popular despite how new it is. So no, your argument is completely wrong. Popularity does not constitute a negative reaction. Games themselves do.
Did you ever hear of the word "sarcasm"?
I did, and what you said was not sarcasm.
I think I would know if what I wrote was intended as sarcasm or not, kid.
What you intended and what you wrote are two very different things, kid.
I read it as sarcasm as did many others. Just because you couldn't grasp it, doesn't make it untrue. Now grow up.
 

ImmortalDrifter

New member
Jan 6, 2011
662
0
0
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
But it is popular! Therefore it is bad and shit and must be ridiculed at every turn and bend in the road!

OT: I haven't really cared for the IW games since Modern Warfare 2's glorious fail. I will stick with the Treyarch games.
StarCraft is popular. Magic the Gathering is popular. Deus Ex is popular. Batman games are popular. Even Hearthstone is now popular despite how new it is. So no, your argument is completely wrong. Popularity does not constitute a negative reaction. Games themselves do.
They are popular in different ways though. You likely won't see a rapper or sports icon play or endorse StarCraft or Magic. Among the circles under that label "Hardcore Nerd/Gamer" those things are considered popular. Outside of those circles, those things are not. Call of Duty is popular outside of the "Hardcore" label, so in response people name it stupid and insipid; often without even giving it a proper chance. The converse is also true. I'm sure many a kid was bullied in school for being proud of his magic deck. The term "popular" isn't very precise. Funnily enough it is common place for people who are outside certain social circles to react with hostility toward others "invading their space". Note the rise of terms like "DudeBro" or "Casual" (and outright insults like stupid) that people on sites like these use to push away the people or ideas they view as disingenuous or beneath them.

ExtraDebit said:
That's not quite wrong, almost all popular stuff is shit because being popular means understanding and acceptance amongst the average people and since majority of the human race are idiots and morons, what the majority found good will inevitably be shit in quality.

Ultimately I don't think CoD deserves the shit it takes. Though I do believe it's gotta end. Sooner or later even the "Dudebro" crowd will find another game to "infect" with their presence. Maybe DotA or LoL... That would be funny.

OT: Better maps you say? It might be worth a look after all.
 

TomWiley

New member
Jul 20, 2012
352
0
0
I really freaking loved the concept of this game. A post-apocalyptic, guerrilla-warfare wasteland and a German shepherd to accompany you your journey and rip the throats off of bandits.

But the more I saw of it, the more it became clear that the post-apocalyptic bit was really just a small part of yet another ridiculous "America is under attack"-premise with your typical MMS combats and all the cover-based shooting and picking off endless hordes of spawning AI enemies that entails.

This could have been so great but the end result just seems incredibly dull.
 

AJey

New member
Feb 11, 2011
164
0
0
bleaker said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
But it is popular! Therefore it is bad and shit and must be ridiculed at every turn and bend in the road!

OT: I haven't really cared for the IW games since Modern Warfare 2's glorious fail. I will stick with the Treyarch games.
StarCraft is popular. Magic the Gathering is popular. Deus Ex is popular. Batman games are popular. Even Hearthstone is now popular despite how new it is. So no, your argument is completely wrong. Popularity does not constitute a negative reaction. Games themselves do.
Did you ever hear of the word "sarcasm"?
I did, and what you said was not sarcasm.
I think I would know if what I wrote was intended as sarcasm or not, kid.
What you intended and what you wrote are two very different things, kid.
I read it as sarcasm as did many others. Just because you couldn't grasp it, doesn't make it untrue. Now grow up.
Again, what you read and what it says are two very different things.
 

shiajun

New member
Jun 12, 2008
578
0
0
It's so telling when two of the best things you can say about his game is that it has a dog in SP and a woman in MP. I currently reinstalled UT2004. Guess what? A lot of the avatars are female. That was almost 10 years ago. Have we regressed that much that this is a "feature" now?

Oh, and this? This is just sad.

Hawkeye21 said:
Apparently Ghosts campaign ending is pretty much copy-pasted from MW2. Quality gamemaking right there:

 

saxxon.de

New member
Apr 18, 2011
112
0
0
Ferisar said:
saxxon.de said:
4 Stars. More likeable characters and more fresh ideas than GTA V, then? Who would've thought..
This isn't being rated against GTA 5. They aren't in the same genre, narrative, gameplay style, they don't have the same goals, and etc. There's very little (if none at all) reason to compare the two.
I know. Usually I wouldn't have made the comparison. But this being a gaming forum on the website that reviewed GTA V the lowest, someone had to say it. I'm sure you know that.

But, of course, you could argue since this review was published on the same website as the GTA review,there should at least be a coherence between critizising one game for its 'lack of fresh ideas' and for 'lack of likeable characters' while not critizising the same points for another game which pretty much embodies 'lack of fresh ideas' and characters as flat as my carpet.

Just sayin'.