Call of Duty: Ghosts Review - Dogs of War

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Call of Duty: Ghosts Review - Dogs of War

Infinity Ward expertly tweaks the dials to give an even more refined Call of Duty experience.

Read Full Article

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
So the leaning is only contextual and you can only lean near corners? I was actually interested in Ghosts until I read that bit in the review. At least there's a slide but with no manual lean...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm so used to hearing how bad COD is that I always forget it might actually be at least passably good.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
So the leaning is only contextual and you can only lean near corners? I was actually interested in Ghosts until I read that bit in the review. At least there's a slide but with no manual lean...
Whats so important about leaning? (serious question)

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
WanderingFool said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Whats so important about leaning? (serious question)
Its mostly a case of having more options on how you interact with the game, you can choose if you want to expose your full body or just a small part of it (adding another thing to think about when you are in the middle of the action).

The big deal that people make out of it is that its such a simple feature (that in the end adds more depth to the meat of the game) that has been in shooter for quite some time and out of nothing it disappeared due to console gaming (leaning is somewhat weirdly handled with controllers, so developers stopped using it, the now popular contextualised leaning seems to be the best fix for console leaning) so obviously PC gamers feel that even such feature was held back due to consoles (and you know how that sort of thing goes).

It isnt that important but in the end its something that could be there for use.

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
Unfortunately, the PC version is riddled with issues at the moment. Maybe I'm spoiled, coming from Counter-Strike, but I don't feel like random bursts of super-high mouse sensitivity, crashes to desktop, stuttering, framerate drops, and no autobalance constitutes a good PC port.

If you're considering the PC version, give it a month.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Angst McMagnum said:
Someone help me. How does a DOG steal the show?
Because everything else is so paper thin, a cute puppy stands out as the best thing to associate with.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
Agreed. No one can claim that the Call of Duty games are not expertly made games. The only problem for me is that they've done it so often now it's getting tiresome.

The past years I've bought every Call of Duty game simply as my yearly dose of 'big dumb fun'. But the last ones I haven't had nearly as much fun with as, say, the first Modern Warfare games. I think I'll skip this one.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
So... Why did this get a video review and not Battlefield 4? I was looking forwards to seeing you guys having a video review for BF4 and now I'm just kinda left disappointed by this.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
vallorn said:
So... Why did this get a video review and not Battlefield 4? I was looking forwards to seeing you guys having a video review for BF4 and now I'm just kinda left disappointed by this.
It's coming today. I had some issues with some captured footage that required me to redo it and lost a bunch of time on it.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
My issue is that they've done very little to address the paper-thin depth of the MP, the ease at which borderline-exploits are used, and the infamous community that goes well beyond the mic-screamers. This is a series that trying to play online gets you spammed for hacked lobbies, balance patches get death threats, and concerning yourself with an objective in an objective mode puts you in a slim minority.

The narrative as well has been getting uncomfortable not for its content but for what it's saying, intentionally or not. I liked the thread earlier where someone was confused and asked 'hey is this getting a little fascist'. The community pretty much agreed, yes it is. But hey, they added a dog. Someone you care about.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Another year, another COD... the difference now, is that I get to sell these games to a shitton of moms and teens. Hey!, gotta make money somehow, at least I'll get to sell a few (very few) great games instead of just COD or Fifa.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Slycne said:
vallorn said:
It's coming today. I had some issues with some captured footage that required me to redo it and lost a bunch of time on it.
Ah thanks for the quick reply I look forwards to watching it! :D

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Not bad. I've pretty much been ignoring them since COD4, but this one's kind of drawing me in. Probably the alien invasion. I've been playing X-Com Enemy Unknown recently, so I've got kind of an affinity for aliens right now. I'll keep my eyes on the reviews.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
So did anyone read the bottom text under the score?
This review is based primarily on the PS4 version of the game and much of the play time was derived from a review event organized by Activision.

So this tells me the game was not reviewed naturally but in a controlled area. I do not trust reviews like this. It is the same as trusting the snake oil salesman.