Call of Duty: Ghosts Review - Dogs of War

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I was actually pretty tempted for like 5 minutes when I heard the maps were good.

Then I googled and realized there was no FOV slider. I won't even spend 2 seconds considering whether to buy it till they patch one in.
You think that's bad? The game doesn't actually need 6Gb of RAM to run. It's an artificial limit. It won't let you start the game without 6Gb, but the actual game doesn't use more than 3Gb on maximum settings and there's already a user made patch for that. I wouldn't buy anything from these guys after they tried pulling something like that.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
if they made the single player longer and allowed me to customize my character in It I might consider buying this game, as it stands the game doesn?t have enough content for me to be to consider buying it and I like call of duty multiplayer.

The story feels like such a missed opportunity btw, it would have been very interesting if you played as a Canadian/Mexican soldier in a war against a USA desperate for oil, and yes I know they would never do that.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Some of the changes to Multiplayer interest me, but they also remind me a lot of Blops 2's Multiplayer, which actually got pretty stale for me after a while. I dunno, but I didn't see much variety despite the customization available.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
I know this is a lowly nitpick, and I'm not trying to start a BF4 vs COD:G war here... but man, the graphics... they're fucking atrocious.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Duffeknol said:
I know this is a lowly nitpick, and I'm not trying to start a BF4 vs COD:G war here... but man, the graphics... they're fucking atrocious.
What do you expect from a game running on an outdated engine?

OT: CoD: More of the Same. Funny thing is, the lean mechanics introduced are the same as in Killzone 2 and 3. Neverenthless, it's still the same like the other I-dunno-how-many-CoD-titles. While I normally would not give a damn about graphics, the engine is seriously outdated.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Oh dear, 4 stars?
This thread is going to be comedy gold. I already see one person calling the review paid for, one FoV slider purist, and a couple obligatory unoriginal "all CoD is teh same" comments. At this point I think I literally have more fun watching the reaction to CoD reviews than I do playing CoD games.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
major_chaos said:
Oh dear, 4 stars?
This thread is going to be comedy gold. I already see one person calling the review paid for, one FoV slider purist, and a couple obligatory unoriginal "all CoD is teh same" comments. At this point I think I literally have more fun watching the reaction to CoD reviews than I do playing CoD games.
Low fov's in PC gaming can lead to headaches and such. And tell me, did CoD anything new since 2? Nevermind every gun feeling and handling the same.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
0takuMetalhead said:
And tell me, did CoD anything new since 2?
New guns, new maps, new take on zombies, new perks, new bells and whistles in the MP mode. CoD does about as much different each time as any other sequel, so I have no idea why it gets singled out when so many other games get a free pass.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
major_chaos said:
0takuMetalhead said:
New guns, new maps, new take on zombies, new perks, new bells and whistles in the MP mode. CoD does about as much different each time as any other sequel, so I have no idea why it gets singled out when so many other games get a free pass.
The diffirences aren't big though, the biggest issue is that CoD now has a yearly release (BF aswell I believe don't quote me on it) meaning no time for a new engine, let alone proper single player campaigns. The latter being handholding 101 anyway. Don't gett me started on how flawed MP is.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Ghosts is one of the games I'm getting in my PS4 bundle as a replacement for Watchdogs along with Black Flag. I suppose it'll fill some time after the launch hype, probably trade it in for KZ: Shadowfall or BF4 if I don't like it.

saxxon.de

Apr 18, 2011
4 Stars. More likeable characters and more fresh ideas than GTA V, then? Who would've thought..

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
saxxon.de said:
4 Stars. More likeable characters and more fresh ideas than GTA V, then? Who would've thought..
This isn't being rated against GTA 5. They aren't in the same genre, narrative, gameplay style, they don't have the same goals, and etc. There's very little (if none at all) reason to compare the two.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
major_chaos said:
0takuMetalhead said:
The developers alternate years, Treyarch makes zombies, Infinity Ward doesn't have the rights to zombies ("so of course new spin") So what you really need to be arguing about asking yourselves, is this one any different from COD:MW3?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Phoenixmgs said:
So the leaning is only contextual and you can only lean near corners? I was actually interested in Ghosts until I read that bit in the review. At least there's a slide but with no manual lean...
Whats so important about leaning? (serious question)
It just adds so much to the gunplay dynamics. I lean in a shooter mainly to correct my aim; if I initially aim a bit off to the left or right, I will lean to correct it as it's faster. Also, you don't have to put your face butt up against a wall to lean around a wall (which is what the context sensitive lean makes you do), you can lean around a wall if you're 20 feet behind it if you want. In MoH Warfighter, I constantly use the slide and lean in-tandem; if an opponent and I both see each other in the open, I slide on him and lean off the slide as the slide results in you being crouched (less recoil) and the lean is to make it even harder to hit me so the quick movement of the slide coupled with the lean wins so many gunfights. Lastly, leaning when you are right up against a wall isn't even that great of an idea to be honest as I barely use the lean when right on a wall.

And pretty much this as well:

josemlopes said:
Its mostly a case of having more options on how you interact with the game, you can choose if you want to expose your full body or just a small part of it (adding another thing to think about when you are in the middle of the action).

The big deal that people make out of it is that its such a simple feature (that in the end adds more depth to the meat of the game) that has been in shooter for quite some time and out of nothing it disappeared due to console gaming (leaning is somewhat weirdly handled with controllers, so developers stopped using it, the now popular contextualised leaning seems to be the best fix for console leaning) so obviously PC gamers feel that even such feature was held back due to consoles (and you know how that sort of thing goes).

It isnt that important but in the end its something that could be there for use.
I don't even PC game and I hate not having a lean in a console shooter. I played Metal Gear Online for 4 years on PS3, it was a 3rd-person shooter that had 1st-person leaning. If a fucking TPS can have leaning, then a FPS better fucking have it too. There's nothing on a console that restricts the lean mechanic. You can use the d-pad to leaning like Metal Gear Online, it works just fine as you won't be using the left stick to be moving. Or you can do what MoH Warfighter did and hold a shoulder button while then using the left stick to lean. The console lean is even better than the PC lean as well since you can have an analog lean (the d-pad is analog on the PS2/3 controllers whereas keyboard buttons are digital). Don't blame the lack of lean on consoles, it's all on the developers. And a contextual lean sucks because you don't even want to be leaning so close to a wall because if you get rushed unexpectedly, you're most likely dead-to-rights as your freedom of movement a rather restricted. Lastly, a lean in extremely important and changes gunfights quite a lot, the best player in MoH Warfighter hated playing against me the most because I'm constantly leaning even when in the open (where the lean is actually the most useful), I also constantly slide and lean off slides as well.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Cosmonauts and mind controlled attack dogs? Why, it's just like Red Alert 2!

...wait, I'm supposed to take it seriously? No cartoonish B-movie charm? Just me and my mind controlled attack dog caught up in a serious war drama?

Huh, guess that's actually even funnier. Ghost story it is, then.

BarrelsOfDouche

Apr 5, 2008
I wonder how it is that certain journalism sites give games like Batman: Arkham Origins low scores due to lack on innovation, yet still have the gall to give games in the Call of Duty series 8s and 9s.

Activision are like...the absolute kings of re-iterating the same crap and charging you more for it, and people keep lapping it up. Ghosts does not even look next gen on high end PCs compared to even games like Battlefield 3...

Even that dog model looks dated.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Yeah, this review still won't make me pick it up.
I'll trust the review of good ol' Jim Sterling and TotalBiscuit's "WTF is ..." video.

The graphics look dated. (Compared to other games such as Battlefield 4)
The story doesn't seem interesting like a few past Call of Duties.
And the gameplay seems same as always.

Honestly I just don't feel like picking up the same thing every year.
But that is just my opinion, I'm not hating on the games it is just that there are other FPSs out there improving the genre. Like BF4 or Shadow Warrior.
And I'm not hating because I'm a whatever fanboy, I damn loved the series up till Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
I just don't see any improvement in gameplay since then.

You know what review I am looking forward to of the game ... Angry Joe's.
Apart from that, the review was the reviewer's opinion and I shall respect that.

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
I've seen some gameplay and man does it look like shit. You'd think taking two years to make an iterative, cookie cutter game would turn out something at least mediocre.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Eh, pretty much I what I expected. I'll probably just rent it for the single player as its always been the equivalent of a decent popcorn movie. I've kinda been burned out on the multiplayer since MW2 and since BLOPS 2's MP didn't hold my attention for more than 2 days I doubt I'll be playing Ghosts for the MP.
BarrelsOfDouche said:
I wonder how it is that certain journalism sites give games like Batman: Arkham Origins low scores due to lack on innovation, yet still have the gall to give games in the Call of Duty series 8s and 9s.
Well keep in mind that reviews for two certain games may not have been done by the same reviewer/person. This sort of reminds me of how people on Dtoid called foul on Jim Sterling for giving The Witcher II a 6 when Dragon Age II got a 7 despite the fact that he didn't review DAII. Of course, I'm not saying that there aren't journalists that have double standards.