Call of Duty: Ghosts Review - Dogs of War

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
But it is popular! Therefore it is bad and shit and must be ridiculed at every turn and bend in the road!

OT: I haven't really cared for the IW games since Modern Warfare 2's glorious fail. I will stick with the Treyarch games.
StarCraft is popular. Magic the Gathering is popular. Deus Ex is popular. Batman games are popular. Even Hearthstone is now popular despite how new it is. So no, your argument is completely wrong. Popularity does not constitute a negative reaction. Games themselves do.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
So theres opening gates now? And I always thought the "Meanwhile in Call of Duty..." battle field comments were only for comedy value.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Apparently Ghosts campaign ending is pretty much copy-pasted from MW2. Quality gamemaking right there:

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
major_chaos said:
one FoV slider purist
I don't see how this is something to mock. In this day, I'm kind of offput by games with low FOV on PC and I just end up getting motion sickness and being unable to play. I think if there's something that makes the game unplayable, then I think it's fair to bring up.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:
No matter how many people hate the franchise the COD series are still very competent games that can very easily be enjoyed.

Not going to buy it since I got tired of its gameplay mechanics back in MW2 but it doesnt change the fact that they still do whatever they do well.
But it is popular! Therefore it is bad and shit and must be ridiculed at every turn and bend in the road!

OT: I haven't really cared for the IW games since Modern Warfare 2's glorious fail. I will stick with the Treyarch games.
That's not quite wrong, almost all popular stuff is shit because being popular means understanding and acceptance amongst the average people and since majority of the human race are idiots and morons, what the majority found good will inevitably be shit in quality.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
There's something about the CoD series that I just don't get. I've tried the MP in a few installments and got bored with it pretty quickly. Maybe it's because my FPS of choice is Halo, which is extremely different. I don't quite get why this game got a 4/5 though, as the review made it sound like a pretty run of the mill shooter.

It'll be interesting to see how the numbers pan out for this game - I feel like it didn't get nearly as much marketing as the other games, maybe because they realized it was going to be hard to compete with GTA V. I'm sure it'll still sell like crazy, perhaps the lack of marketing was simply due to audience's familiarity with the CoD series.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
This review cannot be serious? Every other site is giving the game an average 6.5 to 7 at best. An 8/10 from your site? Really? Ghost is nothing but a shill, an attempt to milk the CoD property without putting any real effort into it. The game is the worse release in the series since Modern Warfare 2. There's no innovation, nothing new...basically stick with Black OPs II if you already have it. The game [Ghost] is junk.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Ponyholder said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:

StarCraft is popular. Magic the Gathering is popular. Deus Ex is popular. Batman games are popular. Even Hearthstone is now popular despite how new it is. So no, your argument is completely wrong. Popularity does not constitute a negative reaction. Games themselves do.
Did you ever hear of the word "sarcasm"?
I did, and what you said was not sarcasm.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Ponyholder said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:

I think I would know if what I wrote was intended as sarcasm or not, kid.
What you intended and what you wrote are two very different things, kid.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:

They are popular in different ways though. You likely won't see a rapper or sports icon play or endorse StarCraft or Magic. Among the circles under that label "Hardcore Nerd/Gamer" those things are considered popular. Outside of those circles, those things are not. Call of Duty is popular outside of the "Hardcore" label, so in response people name it stupid and insipid; often without even giving it a proper chance. The converse is also true. I'm sure many a kid was bullied in school for being proud of his magic deck. The term "popular" isn't very precise. Funnily enough it is common place for people who are outside certain social circles to react with hostility toward others "invading their space". Note the rise of terms like "DudeBro" or "Casual" (and outright insults like stupid) that people on sites like these use to push away the people or ideas they view as disingenuous or beneath them.

ExtraDebit said:
That's not quite wrong, almost all popular stuff is shit because being popular means understanding and acceptance amongst the average people and since majority of the human race are idiots and morons, what the majority found good will inevitably be shit in quality.

Ultimately I don't think CoD deserves the shit it takes. Though I do believe it's gotta end. Sooner or later even the "Dudebro" crowd will find another game to "infect" with their presence. Maybe DotA or LoL... That would be funny.

OT: Better maps you say? It might be worth a look after all.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
I really freaking loved the concept of this game. A post-apocalyptic, guerrilla-warfare wasteland and a German shepherd to accompany you your journey and rip the throats off of bandits.

But the more I saw of it, the more it became clear that the post-apocalyptic bit was really just a small part of yet another ridiculous "America is under attack"-premise with your typical MMS combats and all the cover-based shooting and picking off endless hordes of spawning AI enemies that entails.

This could have been so great but the end result just seems incredibly dull.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
bleaker said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
AJey said:
Ponyholder said:
josemlopes said:

I think I would know if what I wrote was intended as sarcasm or not, kid.
What you intended and what you wrote are two very different things, kid.
I read it as sarcasm as did many others. Just because you couldn't grasp it, doesn't make it untrue. Now grow up.
Again, what you read and what it says are two very different things.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
It's so telling when two of the best things you can say about his game is that it has a dog in SP and a woman in MP. I currently reinstalled UT2004. Guess what? A lot of the avatars are female. That was almost 10 years ago. Have we regressed that much that this is a "feature" now?

Oh, and this? This is just sad.

Hawkeye21 said:
Apparently Ghosts campaign ending is pretty much copy-pasted from MW2. Quality gamemaking right there:

saxxon.de

Apr 18, 2011
Ferisar said:
saxxon.de said:
4 Stars. More likeable characters and more fresh ideas than GTA V, then? Who would've thought..
This isn't being rated against GTA 5. They aren't in the same genre, narrative, gameplay style, they don't have the same goals, and etc. There's very little (if none at all) reason to compare the two.
I know. Usually I wouldn't have made the comparison. But this being a gaming forum on the website that reviewed GTA V the lowest, someone had to say it. I'm sure you know that.

But, of course, you could argue since this review was published on the same website as the GTA review,there should at least be a coherence between critizising one game for its 'lack of fresh ideas' and for 'lack of likeable characters' while not critizising the same points for another game which pretty much embodies 'lack of fresh ideas' and characters as flat as my carpet.

Just sayin'.