Call of Duty: Ghosts Will Let You Play as the Dog

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Call of Duty: Ghosts Will Let You Play as the Dog

It's official, your canine companion won't just be another AI squadmate.

There are many things in the new Call of Duty that Infinity Ward would like you to be excited about, but the one getting all of the internet's attention is the now-famous military service dog in your squad. It seems we can stop wondering about what role the little guy will play in the game's campaign - a pre-E3 sneak peak at the single-player campaign of Call of Duty: Ghosts has revealed the dog to be a playable character in certain missions.

Hopefully it's obvious that you won't be strapping an M4 to the hound and sending him off to crouch behind chest-high walls, so the dog sections will involve a shift in gameplay. In real life, the military uses highly-trained dogs in the field as remote reconnaissance, and that's pretty much what you'll be doing in Ghosts. A mounted camera lets soldiers see what the dog sees via a handheld viewfinder, and an earpiece allows the team to give orders from afar. Stealthy situations will call for a more subtle method of instruction, so small vibrations on the dog's collar let teams direct him silently. It seems a little hard to believe, but Infinity Ward says they've done their homework and this is how actual Navy SEAL teams operate with service dogs.

Of course, this is a game, and it's more fun to actually be the dog than it is to hope the animal correctly interprets your commands. In Ghosts, you'll control your canine squadmate just like any other character, attacking hostile soldiers with vicious lunges for the throat. We're talking about man's best friend though, so the dog will also work together with his bipedal squadmates to distract enemies by barking, luring them into your sniper's crosshairs.

It sounds like the dog portions of the game won't be too different from previous games' drone or helicopter segments. There's no word on whether you'll be able to directly control a dog in multiplayer, but if so, I'd gladly trade my grenades for a tactical T-bone steak as a counter.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/08/e3-2013-call-of-duty-ghosts-diving-into-the-campaign]

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Sweet. Now I just need to wait for someone to adapt that engine to a pure dog simulator. I wanna play as a Welsh Corgi and just be adorable. Oh, and perform a "vicous lunge for the throat" if the AI pretends to throw a ball, but doesn't really throw it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
So I guess CoD will keep up with the Killing the Protagonist trend.

UnnDunn

Aug 15, 2006
Now let's have dog gameplay in multiplayer... make it a scorestreak or something.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Now it's a DAY ONE BUY.

Saucycarpdog said:
Wow this game is really going to the Dogs.

Yeah I said it. Want to fight about it?
I wouldn't challenge the Escapist. It's a Dog Eat Dog forum, and you probably won't come out on top of that Dog Pile. I will toss you a Bone, however.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
UnnDunn said:
Now let's have dog gameplay in multiplayer... make it a scorestreak or something.
That's what I'm guessing they'll end up doing. It'll likely be similar to a chopper-gunner or something in that you'll run off and hide your actual guy before calling in the dog, at which point you open a little computer that "gives the dog directions", letting you play as the dog.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
HOLY FUCK that's the first new-sounding thing that series has provided in a long time. Still following in the footsteps of older games like Jet Force Gemini and Dead to Rights: Retribution, but still, I'm glad to see they're actually doing something different than the last few games.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
When I ask this, I ask it with all the bitter, sarcastic irony my overwieght British corpse can muster:

But how is it going to hold the gun?

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Now it's a DAY ONE BUY.

Saucycarpdog said:
Wow this game is really going to the Dogs.

Yeah I said it. Want to fight about it?
I wouldn't challenge the Escapist. It's a Dog Eat Dog forum, and you probably won't come out on top of that Dog Pile. I will toss you a Bone, however.
My name is SaucyCarpDog. I've got nothing to lose!

OT: From the information I'm reading, this call of duty will actually be different: Russians are NOT the enemy. Now I want this game.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
They want to make sure you get emotionally attached to the dog as much as possible before it inevitably dies in a scripted cinematic.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well...I'll give them credit here...that's a pretty unique feature...not exactly a deal maker though.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
an annoyed writer said:
HOLY FUCK that's the first new-sounding thing that series has provided in a long time. Still following in the footsteps of older games like Jet Force Gemini and Dead to Rights: Retribution, but still, I'm glad to see they're actually doing something different than the last few games.
Oh right, guess it isn't that unique

And Jet Force Gemini's dog had a tank.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
erttheking said:
an annoyed writer said:
Oh right, guess it isn't that unique

And Jet Force Gemini's dog had a tank.
You bet your ass that dog had a tank. Tankdogs: a REAL innovation. Hell, someone could probably build an entire game from that concept alone.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
erttheking said:
Well...I'll give them credit here...that's a pretty unique feature...not exactly a deal maker though.
Indeed. I'm not sold on anything until it's out and I'm hearing that it's good from people who's tastes I generally trust. However, this has definitely made me sit up straight and start paying attention.