Call of Duty Hits $3 Billion

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
BrotherhoodOfSteel said:
HEY! Don'r ever say I don't remember Battlefield 2142!

That...Is my number one... The Pinnacle of my happiness as a gamer. I even did a review of it!
Me too! Can I see it?

Foggy_Fishburne said:
A good game, I mean damn some parts were amazing. Just a shame they relied to much on shoot shoot shoot. A little more diversity would have been nice. A little sniping in silence, a little espionage, a little water warfare. They have all this in the game, but too little of it. Just as I'm getting intrigued they stop the fascinating new part and it's back to shoot shoot shoot.
Well said, that's basically what I think of it.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Simalacrum said:

three...

[HEADING=2]BILLION?[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]IN BOBBY KOTICK'S POCKET?!?!?![/HEADING]

So lads, who's up to raiding Activision's financial HQ with me?
Hang on, I'll get my stuff.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Dreolic said:
Gamers are a bunch of whinny bitches. even if your not a fan of the game, its made lots of money, this money can then go back into making more games and growing the gaming medium. at the end of the day it does come down to money, its a business, if a company makes lots of money then it can put the profit back into the company and make even more money. If the company has no money, then they can't make any more games and your all bitching about activation been evil and such because the head dude wants to make lots of money and maybe he is a bit of an evil guy but so are the head's of movie company's. the head of a company is meant to be evil and money driven, its about the people lower down who want to do it for the "right reasons". if a company has lots of spare cash, when somebody comes along with a unique idea that sounds good, then the company can take a risk with it, without it been a risk because if it fails then its not a dent in the company's pocket. its the same with TV and cinema. they keep making more "24" every year because it brings LOTS of money every year.

people need to stop bitching about activation making lots of money. MW2 is so popular am sure it will bring more people into gaming, so there are more gamers then there were, this again will result in more money for the company's and then in turn more games. they will come out with crap games, like crap movies come out but there will be some brilliant games that come out.

this idea that company's making lots of money will damage the purity of the industry is stupid. ow ow, I just thought of another example. reality TV, personally I think its crap TV but it brings in lots of money to the TV company's, they then can use this money to make good TV, drama's, documentaries etc, those kind of shows might not always bring in a huge amount of cash for the company but because the crap reality TV brings it in, they can keep making it. its the same for the gaming industry, if the company's make lost of money, then they can support the other stuff.

am going to stop ranting now. but honestly making money isn't a bad thing
The medium is also a business and a cut throat competitive one at that. Growth of the industry has to be tempered with a dedication to quality and innovation. If mundane shooters can make this kind of money, where's the encouragement to improve? I hate quoting Yahtzee in my posts but I believe his prediction was "Captain Bland's Monotonous Adventure"?

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Bloody good job, men! Infinity Ward, you earned the right to upload a viral video of your staff swimming in your olympic swimming pool filled with cash.

As for YOU Activison
Make like Roach and Ghost and jump in a ditch and burn to death!

Epifols

Aug 30, 2008
Flamezdudes said:
The DSM said:
Wow, Some bad series rake in money, but this is preposterous, and if it wins game of the decade, I for one, am going to be pissed off.
So shall i. Call of Duty doesn't desere these awards.
Third that

I think they should have just stopped at COD2, that was the last one I liked.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
I'm getting sick of this seething hatred that all of a sudden develops because a big video game company makes alot of money. I'm happy that the Call of Duty series made $3 billion dollars. It deserves to make that much money because it is a great series. It picked up where the Medal of Honor series left off and is essentially its successor. Call of Duty is the defining FPS series of the decade and hopefully it will continue its greatness into the next decade with the future titles that are in store. I personally would like to see another World at War title and another Modern Warfare title, but it would be nice if Activision could make a title that takes place between the two. Something like, I don't know, Call of Duty: The Six Day War maybe. Anyway...Activison, Infinity Ward, Treyarch...keep up the good work.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
No_Remainders said:
I heard somewhere that IW are finished making CoD games... Anyone know if there's truth to this?
Where the hell did you hear this? It's complete nonsense. Infinity Ward will, without a doubt, be making future CoD titles. I mean, not making Modern Warfare 3 would be criminal.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Ma Gawd that's a shit load of money
I hope Bobby falls off from his pile of money and can't work any more

Also to anyone who says COD doesn't deserve it, maybe it is successful because it's brilliant. Just not your cup of tea, now shut up and get back to planning Bobby's assassination

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
$3.000.000.000 sales does not equal to $3.000.000.000 profit.

And wasn't the general vivendi profit split up like: Sierra <1% Activision 33% Blizzard 66%? I remember bobby stating that he was happy to be teamed up with blizzard because wow alone outsold his entire company.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
The DSM said:
Wow, Some bad series rake in money, but this is preposterous, and if it wins game of the decade, I for one, am going to be pissed off.
So shall i. Call of Duty doesn't desere these awards.
Well, I think it does, at least the first two games do.

f0re1gn

DON'T PANIC
Jan 21, 2009
Actually I won't say what i'd want to because i'd get flamed, but otherwise i can say that i'm quite happy for activision.

Glass_House

Jun 29, 2009
Call of Duty got old for me after they left the generic WWII genre. CoD2 was and forever will be in my mind the greatest of all the CoD games.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
The DSM said:
It's a matter of opinion, whether or not a game is good. You may think it's bad, but sadly, you have been heavily outvoted in the millions.

OT: Pretty good, I think. Now, they've got to avoid making the mistake of utterly and completely milking the franchise.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Not too surprised by this.

But I'm calling this now: Modern Warfare 2 will be the first game to sell one billion dollars worth of units worldwide.