Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Launching a Five Day Free Trial, Unless You're on PC

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Launching a Five Day Free Trial, Unless You're on PC

The latest Call of Duty is offering a five-day free trial to console players, but not to those who play on PC.

Yesterday, Activision announced that it will offer up a free trial of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare this weekend for anyone who wants to try out the latest entry in the venerable series. In the wake of stories that physical sales of the recently-released shooter had fallen nearly 50 percent [http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/09/november-call-of-duty-physical-game-sales-fell-nearly-50-percent-analysts-say.html], Activision is giving players the opportunity to not try out the multiplayer, but campaign and zombies modes as well.

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1367/1367219.jpg

The free trial will kick off at 1 PM ET Thursday, December 15, and run through 1 PM ET Tuesday, December 20. It will include the first the first two levels of the game's campaign, titled "Rising Threat" and "Black Sky." Players will also be able to play the multiplayer - albeit with a level cap of 15 - and the Zombies mode, which will have a level cap of 3. If you buy the game, all of the progress you make during the free trial will carry over.

While that sounds like a pretty good deal, there are, as always, some caveats. Chief among those is that the trial is only available on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. There's no corresponding free weekend on Steam for PC gamers. If you're planning to play on console, you should be aware that to play any part of the free trial on Xbox One requires you to have an active Xbox Live Gold account. On PS4, you can play the two campaign levels without PS Plus, but you'll need it to jump into multiplayer or Zombies.

This isn't the first time we've seen a free weekend offered up for a Call of Duty game, but it's definitely happening sooner after launch than we're used to. The inclusion of two campaign missions also feels like a bit more than we're accustomed to getting. It's just a shame that Activision couldn't manage to extend the trial to PC.

You can find more information about the free trial in this Activision support site [https://blog.activision.com/t5/Call-of-Duty/Tis-the-Season-to-try-Call-of-Duty-Infinite-Warfare-for-Free/ba-p/10107632].

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
No zero G gunplay, no deal. I wanted to try some epic Ender-style multiplayer but it seems that's only available in the single-player campaign.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Remus said:
No zero G gunplay, no deal. I wanted to try some epic Ender-style multiplayer but it seems that's only available in the single-player campaign.
Oh, I'm sure they will have it in a DLC. Just like Advanced Warfare's poorly implemented grappling hook DLC.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Of course there's no trial for PC. If they did one people would be able to try the game out and discover the typical huge array of technical issues on that platform for themselves and we can't have customers knowing what they're buying before they already payed for it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Steam has free-weekends all the time that consoles never have. Anyone who acts like this is some unfair slight is well, wrong.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Saelune said:
Steam has free-weekends all the time that consoles never have. Anyone who acts like this is some unfair slight is well, wrong.
And that is relevant to Call of Duty how, exactly? They either let PC users have a go at the free trial to try and entice some new costumers, or they don't. This is about promoting the game, not some abstract concept of platform justice.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Alma Mare said:
Saelune said:
And that is relevant to Call of Duty how, exactly? They either let PC users have a go at the free trial to try and entice some new costumers, or they don't. This is about promoting the game, not some abstract concept of platform justice.
Because Call of Duty has had multiple free-weekends on Steam that consoles did not get.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Alma Mare said:
Saelune said:
This is pretty much the first free weekend on console for the franchise, I think. Maybe there were one or two, but still few enough to count them on one hand.
PC meanwhile basically gets a free weekend every time there is a new DLC around the corner or just released. That's, however, also usually limited to the Multiplayer Mode (no noteworthy restrictions, Blops 3 just limited it to the MP Starter Pack Content) and maybe the minor coop one if there are two - Zombies is never available, Extinction was for Ghosts and Campaign never.

So, PC not getting a free weekend along with the consoles isn't an issue, I hope that at least PC gets the same amount of trial content when it comes there.

That said, considering how horribly the PC playerbase is for that game (LESS than Black Ops 3, even if you add the MW Remaster one) and I think it's similar with the consoloe player base - so, that might be the reason why this even exists on consoles, to get people to buy the game and actually play it at least there. I doubt it'll work, however.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Saelune said:
Alma Mare said:
Saelune said:
Because Call of Duty has had multiple free-weekends on Steam that consoles did not get.
Because CoD drastically underperforms on PC due to the typical performance issues and much stronger competition from other MP-focused games.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
I'm surprised that Activision hasn't figured out that customers don't like provisos.

"Hey, we're remastering one of the best games in the CoD series, but you have to buy our new game in order to get it!"

"Hey, we're having a free weekend for the game, but you can't play the interesting parts of the game, and PC players can fuck right off!"

No wonder no one bought Infinite Warfare.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Battenberg said:
Of course there's no trial for PC. If they did one people would be able to try the game out and discover the typical huge array of technical issues on that platform for themselves and we can't have customers knowing what they're buying before they already payed for it.
Except its not. It plays quite well on pc. Although I have a powerful custom built machine, maybe it plays bad on crap computers or something.

Still stupid of them to not give it the same thing on pc, not like pc gamers are known for being forgiving of console gamers being given stuff they aren't.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Worgen said:
Battenberg said:
Except its not. It plays quite well on pc. Although I have a powerful custom built machine, maybe it plays bad on crap computers or something.

Still stupid of them to not give it the same thing on pc, not like pc gamers are known for being forgiving of console gamers being given stuff they aren't.
Take a look at the Steam reviews. Your experience certainly does not appear to be the experience the majority of people are getting.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Battenberg said:
Worgen said:
Battenberg said:

Take a look at the Steam reviews. Your experience certainly does not appear to be the experience the majority of people are getting.
Keep in mind cod is one of the most hated franchises around and Infinite Warfare had a dedicated campaign to trying to tear it down. Thats why its the most downvoted trailer on youtube. If you're trying to sabotage a game the easiest way is to say its broken. Battlefield 4 really did launch in an incredibly buggy state and it doesn't get the level of hate that cod got even before it launched.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
No surprise considering CoD hasn't been remotely relevant on PC since Modern Warfare. I'm honestly shocked they're even bothering to publish it for PC anymore these days.