Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Requires 130 GB of Disk Space

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Requires 130 GB of Disk Space

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1352/1352084.jpg
And you thought Gears of War 4's 80 GB was bad...

Activision has confirmed [https://www.callofduty.com/infinitewarfare/legal/faq] via an updated F.A.Q on the official Infinite Warfare homepage that the combined install size for both Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare and Call of Duty 4 remaster will total 130 GB.

"This is a high-end estimate, which includes both games, any Day 1 updates, as well as the additional Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered multiplayer maps to be released before Dec. 31, 2016," wrote the publisher.

Those who have early access to Modern Warfare Remastered are reporting that the game comes in at approximately 40 GB, meaning that Infinite Warfare is a whopping 90 GB. And you thought Gears of War 4's 80 GB [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168541-You-Can-Now-Pre-Load-all-80-GB-of-Gears-of-War-4-on-PC] was bad...

This gigantic size could have something to do with PS4 pro support, which allows developers to take advantage of high resolution modes. It could mean that the Xbox One version of the game doesn't have quite a big size.

Both the PS4 and Xbox One come standard with a 500 GB hard drive. 130 GB is a considerable chunk of that.

We also recently learnd that if you buy the physical edition of Infinite Warfare, you'll have to keep the disk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168549-CoD-4-Remaster-Must-Have-Infinite-Warfare-Disc] to play Modern Warfare Remastered, despite the game only existing as a download.

Source: Activision [https://www.callofduty.com/infinitewarfare/legal/faq]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Sony: Alright developers, we want to push people to make them buy the new and expensive console. What can you do?
Devs: I suppose we could leave everything in the game uncompressed?

I suppose that leaving everything uncompressed would mean that the limited architecture wouldn't melt as it tried to run the game and handle decompressing assets in the background.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Wow, only reported like a week after everyone else.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
What the fuck is in there that requires 70 fucking GB a game? Seriously, the biggest thing on my computer by far is Skyrim at 13 GB.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ya know, it is very interesting to find out where your lines are. I generally love Call of Duty, despite certain awful things. This memory thing is possibly what will keep me from getting the game. I guess it depends on pressure from friends.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:
What the fuck is in there that requires 70 fucking GB a game? Seriously, the biggest thing on my computer by far is Skyrim at 13 GB.
There's not a good texture compression format for images beyond 2048x2048 as far as I know. JPEG is the closest thing we have, but I think it's fair to say we've all seen the quality a JPEG can be. Combine that with more realistic shaders that need 4-5 other textures to display properly and that space requirement really balloons.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
Actually, the divide is 90 GB for Infinite Warfare, 40 GB for Modern Warfare Remaster. Still ludicrous either way.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
To think, I was bummed that I'd need to keep 55 GB free for Witcher 3 & it's DLCs. Hell, I'll happily take a 55 GB chunk for a long-assed Open World game & it's DLCs over 90 GB for what's probably going to be a corridor shooter.

Also really makes you appreciate how powerful the CryEngine and Fox Engine are. The former gives Halo-esque "big corridors with multiple strategies for each corridor" while rivaling other games in visuals, and doing so while only taking up 15 GB at most. The latter gives an Open World that takes up a relatively-reasonable 28 GB, while still rivaling the latest games in graphical fidelity.

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
Dr.Awkward said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
There's not a good texture compression format for images beyond 2048x2048 as far as I know. JPEG is the closest thing we have, but I think it's fair to say we've all seen the quality a JPEG can be. Combine that with more realistic shaders that need 4-5 other textures to display properly and that space requirement really balloons.
Games don't usually store their textures in formats like jpeg but in ready to use by the graphic card hardware formats.
Standard formats in DirectX(11) are named BC1 to BC7 and provide from 1:2 to 1:8 average compression (far less than jpeg, but but much faster to process by the gpu).
Different hardware has different support / limitations/ quirks related to those formats and the best formats (BC6/BC7) need more optimization /processing time from the developers so... f*ck that noise let put everything in there uncompressed and why not compressed also for the lulz...
Wait wait... put also future DLC/microtransactions related assets to unlock later when the suckers pony up the dolla.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Bloody hell... o.o

That's about all I've got. Seriously, that's nucking futs.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Dr.Awkward said:
*sigh* Of all the things for AAA publishers to focus their money on today, it has to be the one thing that in the end, doesn't make all that much difference. Graphics...

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Dr.Awkward said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
JPEG would be absolutely terrible for use as a game texture format. It's very processor intensive. You don't notice it when you load up a few JPEGs on your computer, but handling them as textures would require a fuckton of GPU time just to pull up, which means stutter and/or pop-ins galore. It doesn't even do alpha channels.

But yeah, past 2048x2048 textures, sizes get pretty ludicrous. For example, 2048x2048 is 4,194,304 pixels. 4096x4096 is 16,777,216 pixels. Shit adds up.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Isn't Black Ops 3 sitting at around 40GB total, with all DLCs?
Why the hell is this more than double on its own, TRIPLE with MW1R?

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
So you could have Bloodbourne or Rare Replay, The Witcher 3 (and all of its DLCs) and several good indie games with room to spare, or you could have a remastering of a game you probably already own and another sequel that nobody cares about. Your choice.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
And then you finish the main game in 4 hours and wonder why the AAA industry hasnt infact imploded on itselfe allready.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
Karadalis said:
And then you finish the main game in 4 hours and wonder why the AAA industry hasnt infact imploded on itselfe allready.
The campaign (which almost no one who buys these games even plays) finishes in 4 hours, the multiplayer grind is forever.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So more than a fifth of my fucking PS4. Wonderful. I guess once I have the greatest game ever, Infinite Warfare, I won't need any other games.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
This is actually a well known paradox in software development re: hardware.

More resources means less motivation to optimize
Less optimized code makes you need more resources

I'm pretty sure that some old schoolers could look at some of my sql and strangle me for my sins, but, within reason, I only have to really worry about page locks.