Call of Duty is now Deus Ex

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Well I'm excited. I saw this last night and came over here, and no one was talking about. Not even a quick article. I guess CoD is finally dying off, which I'm sure tons of people are happy about. But, I do enjoy Treyarch's games. From World and War all the way to Black Ops II. They remember what makes a CoD game fun in my opinion, and I'm hoping they keep that going in this game.
Plus, pretty sure zombie mode is going to be back, and I want to see where they take that story now.

Sadly, after the horrible game that was Ghosts and the just so-so game that was Advanced Warfare, if Black Ops III lets me down in single player, I'm done. So, uh...don't let that happen, Treyarch. Please.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
So, uh...don't let that happen, Treyarch. Please.
What the hell are you talking about? Of course they're gonna let that happen. Didn't people notice by now that Call of Duty games follow a strict formula when it comes to both single and multiplayer? It's not a coincidence. They're probably not allowed to deviate from the formula. They're only allowed to change the colors and sometimes steal from others but only if they can incorporate that into their own formula.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
It's nice their getting away from 'Modern Warfare' but it all feels a little bit too social sci-fi. I mean if social sci-fi is the way they want to go, fine, it's just Call of Duty seems inappropriate for a deep transhumanist discussion.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
That tweet by Eidos is priceless. Cool trailer and I will so not buy it.
CoD can kiss my ass I'm waiting for Mankind Divided and Cyberpunk 2077.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
So, uh...don't let that happen, Treyarch. Please.
What the hell are you talking about? Of course they're gonna let that happen. Didn't people notice by now that Call of Duty games follow a strict formula when it comes to both single and multiplayer? It's not a coincidence. They're probably not allowed to deviate from the formula. They're only allowed to change the colors and sometimes steal from others but only if they can incorporate that into their own formula.
Treyarch hasn't let me down yet. Until they do, I will continue to believe that they know what they're doing with their version of Call of Duty. Infinity Ward and...who was the other one? Anyway, both of them have let me down with their latest entries, so I wouldn't be holding out if it was either of them making this game.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Eh. Cool concept. I'm sure the COD writers will do it justice, and deliver one of the most powerful sci-fi dramas of all time.

I'd actually like to see a sci-fi story where body/mind augmentation aren't displayed as evil, or at least offers an even shake.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
Mutant1988 said:
I honestly don't mind. The more cyberpunk, the better.
It's not really Cyberpunk though. It just wants people to think that it is. Call of Duty is not anything really. There is no real theme because there is no depth to anything it does. It really is like a Michael Bay movie. It's just about shooting people with a bunch of guns on a bunch of maps. Like how Michael Bay's "Island" was a cool sci-fi idea that was not just crippled, but killed by Michael Bay's complete incompetence to be anything other than a director of dumb action. That's what Call of Duty is about. They're simply running out of excuses to pump these things out every year so they're now blatantly stealing cool ideas from other people and trying to pass them on as original and edgy.
And I don't really see any reason to care when I'm not the target audience anyway. If it makes the setting popular and other developers make good games for it, then that's a win for me.

If by a chance they actually make a good Call of Duty (Last good one was 4, all the following are varying degrees of shallow and stupid), then sure, that's some mindless bargain bin popcorn entertainment for me.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
I wouldn't mind if Call of Duty took a step into Cyberpunk. A mainstream Cyberpunk shooter is something I'd like as long as it's not just a reskin with gimmicky perks. Neotokyo was fun to play while it was alive.

Though, it's more of a reminder how much of a depature COD has taken from its WWII roots. I want a World at War 2, damn it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Eh, they commodified the shit out of "real world" (or Tom Clancy-esque) modern militarism.
I guess they saw Cyberpunk on the rise again and decided to run that genre into the dirt too.

Action Jack

Jun 30, 2010
"Call of Duty is now Deus Ex?" Totally different genres. One has you exploring a world where you upgrade your abilities and choose how you want to solve your problems (until a boss comes along), and the other has you shoot guys, then walk to the next place, then shoot some more guys.

To say they're the same now just because they're tackling the same overarching theme would be like painting yourself black and white and telling me you're a zebra.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Man, that really was an excellently produced trailer- and now I'm sad that it's a trailer for Call of Duty game. Nothing against CoD, but deep exploration of complex themes is not its gig.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Oh... um, I left this comment by accident and since I can't delete it I guess now I'll have to figure out something else to say.

I guess I'll just put forward that maybe, just maybe, something has changed in the corporate machine that produces these games. After all, Call of Duty didn't use to suck. It's not impossible that at some point people with ambition and talent were hired for the game who will be able to attach a strong story to the run and gun mechanics. Probably not, but one can hope.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
So they're done ripping off Crysis and now are ripping off Deus Ex?

'Kay fine. It's not like anyone expects this to be any good.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
I think this is awesome. I've never been a huge CoD fan, but for a series that is so often called out for being targeted at the lowest common denominator it's pretty awesome to tell a story about thought provoking topics like this.

Also I don't see this as a ripoff. It's a similar subject matter, sure, but it's not like Deus Ex was the first to talk about augmentation and the social issues surrounding it.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Incisive said:
Yeah, they're cloning Deus Ex's universe, but remember, this is a Call of Duty shooter-on-rails fest. Choice is a gameplay element which is notably absent from any COD game and this will be no different.
You haven't played Black Ops II, have you? Not the single player campaign, at least. Certainly not more then once, or even all the way through.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Telepathy implants... in COD? erm yeh that does sound a bit bullshit but as others have said it will probably just be the story and have little to no effect on the same old same old COD gameplay.

While it does seem very close to Deus Ex, its just a fictional extrapolation of reality and we will probably see this theme become a lot more common. There is Cyberpunk 2077 too if that actually comes out before 2077.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
It's all been done before by Shakespeare, the rest is just variations on a theme.

MysticSlayer said:
Bob_McMillan said:
I have to agree with him, I wouldn't be surprised if Eidos sued them or something.
I cannot see this ever happening. That would be like George R.R. Martin suing someone because they used dragons in their story.
I think you already won the thread very early.

I'm looking forward to this game.