Call of Duty: To spunkgargleweewee or not to spunkgargleweewee or not to spunkgargleweewee

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Stupid title but only one Could come up with but CoD's new trailer dropped it has my interest but how will it lose it.Lets talk about it

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
kiri2tsubasa said:
Can we just let that stupid fucking term DIE already? It wasn't funny the first time and has gotten less funny since then.
Before we go any further with this discussion, let's just give you one of these:

With that out of the way, the trailer looks like it's taking the series in an interesting direction but Ghost was so incredibly disappointing to me (I've been a Call of Duty fan since 2 and have played the multi-player in all of them since 4) that I have considered not buying another Call of Duty until they fix the bullshit (seriously, it's like they're not trying to get matches to work. They got rid of the "ping" indicator but you can always tell who the host is by who has the God-powers and are going 50-1). The games just seemed to have dipped in quality ever since IW got gutted.

Honestly, with it being Sledgehammer's first full game does not exactly inspire confidence but I can hope that it's good. I'm likely going to start renting these things before buying them from now on to make sure they don't go all Ghost on me but I really do hope I'm wrong; I like the CoD multi-player and I would love for the series to get back on track.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
didnt they tried the whole "future war" thing already? black ops 2, wasnt ghosts futuristic as well?

it seems they have completely run out of ideas

altough i must say some of the gadgets in the trailer looked cool, and i hate to admit that, unsurprisingly its the kind of stuff that will be used in one section alone and then completely forgotten until the end of the game

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
kiri2tsubasa said:
Can we just let that stupid fucking term DIE already? It wasn't funny the first time and has gotten less funny since then.
This person speaks the truth.

Anywho...

I won't be buying this one at launch. I've been consistently disappointed by the Treyarch titles, and Ghosts was just downright abysmal. The way I see it, CoD:4, CoD:MW2, and CoD:MW3 all still have fairly active playerbases... so if I really feel like playing House of CoDs: Kevin Spacey Warfare I'll just wait for its price to drop... and then go on sale...

Kricketz

Apr 25, 2014
Some of the ideas are nice.

But, alas it's still CoD. IMO the campaign in MW3 was much less painful than Ghosts, so I'm curious as to see what Sledgehammer can do this time.

When I first heard futuristic, I was hoping for some pew-pew guns, but doesn't look like that's happening. Guess I'll have to wait for Battlefront for those.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
tm96 said:
Stupid title but only one Could come up with but CoD's new trailer dropped it has my interest but how will it lose it.Lets talk about it
Dude, please listen to me, dude: I can't understand you. I know it's late and I'm of...less than sound mind, but can you elaborate on what you mean here? If you mean to ask whether or not the game looks appealing, I wouldn't say it particularly grabbed me. It's Call of Duty, you know? I just...eeeeeuuuhhhblg, I stopped after one of the earlier World War II ones - the one with Stalingrad in it; you sniped people and there were Germans. Futuristic settings usually interest me, but the series has always been a bit rich for my blood. I likely won't have the guineas for it, map packs and all.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I think that the name is a bit stupid. We remember Modern Warfare was a thing, we do not need to be reminded.

However, if they can implement half the awesome stuff in the trailer and put it with a decent story it'll probably be pretty good. K-Space always deserve a few bonus points, and hopefully if they're spending the money to put in a well known actor it means that they're not phoning in on the campaign.

This is taking a nice place at the very top of my "excited to hear more but cautiously optimistic" pile.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
NuclearKangaroo said:
[snip..]unsurprisingly its the kind of stuff that will be used in one section alone and then completely forgotten until the end of the game
Exactly. I think the trailer looks good, but I look at it as a short film and not anything close to a demonstration of the actual game play. I'd like to be excited for this, but I paid full price for MW2, MW3, Blops 1, and Blops 2. I have had a really difficult time dealing with the crap call of duty games that come out between the great ones.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
kiri2tsubasa said:
This, so much.

I think the latest edition looks pretty cool: I've always appreciated near-future tech that at least looks grounded in realistic stuff. Black Ops 2 proved to me that the series could follow through with promises of innovation outside of multiplier so I remain optimistic about Kevin Spacey's Grand Adventure of Fantabolous Wonderment to Reshape America.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zantos said:
I think that the name is a bit stupid. We remember Modern Warfare was a thing, we do not need to be reminded.
To the contrary, I bet they're hoping that this will help people disassociate with the more lukewarm "Ghosts" and Black Ops 2 (Which I enjoyed more than MW3, but a lot of people seemed to haaaaaaaaaate). In effect, people probably do need to be reminded.

Of course, that's still kind of dumb because the problem isn't the name, but the brand is probably what kept Ghosts from being a failure, so....

kiri2tsubasa said:
I'm still wondering if Yahtzee made it up just to see how many people he could dupe into saying it.

NuclearKangaroo said:
didnt they tried the whole "future war" thing already? black ops 2, wasnt ghosts futuristic as well?
Yes, but this one has hoverbikes!

...And mechs, which nobody's thought to do recently. >.>

The problem is, there's only so many settings you can do and still give people the sort of guns they've grown accustomed to. Though we've seen anachronistic/time travel shooters before. Still, they're going to cling to the near future, the near past, and the near...uhhhh...Present.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
kiri2tsubasa said:
Specially since it missed the point of why COD and its clones got boring while just focusing on the theme of the game (modern military shooter). By that ideology calling Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon a "that term" is correct even though in no way could they be compared to the type of game COD is.

COD and its clones are bad because of the over reliance on scripted sequences and linearity, and even then only because so many games used it so much (remember when Call of Duty 2 and 4 were called good games?)

Rabid_meese

Jan 7, 2014
It won't die until something else catches the markets attention as a cheap way to make the most cash. As much as people like to boast how much video games are made by people who just love the medium, there are equally as many people either working to put food on the table, or making games with the intent of raking in as much money as possible. The same is with any other medium. It used to be platformers were THE THING. Then 3rd person shooters were THE THING. Now FPS is THE THING. Especially when its flashy. MMS is easy to emulate because it resonates with people. Automatic guns, manlyness, flashy action sequences, and against DEM TURRORISTS. It has brand loyalty.

CoD is fine. It works. You shoot the things with the guns and they die. You're gun works well, and there are many types of them. Mechanically, the game works well and is decently balanced. The game isn't horribly broken - on the flip side, its intensely polished. Iterative as balls? Yeah, but little to no iteration has been a staple of a lot of franchises that are beloved.

Its an issue of taste. I don't like the game. I don't like the playstyle, and the community is toxic. The mechanics don't feel very skillful to me, and I find modern military settings boring. It's a decent popcorn game, but eh. If other people like it, it'll flourish. It won't die until the market either shifts, or people get tired of MMS - or both.

Frankly, I don't mind its existence. I don't think its existence hurts the games industry. Certain companies will ride the bandwagon to make some extra cash, regardless of what THE THING is. I think the focus testing aspect of the industry is the danger, not the games being made.

And for anyone who thinks Call of Duty can't die - Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Granted, those involved a larger upfront investment, but still. Huge, casual hit. Spawned an entire genre - it was dead within 5 years. CoD isn't pumping out as many titles as Guitar Hero was, but sales have dipped, and people will get tired of the cycle of spending $60, then another $60 on map packs, every single year.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Spunkgargleweewees have really never interested me.

They seem pretty stale, I do rather wish there'd be some more variation in the spunkgargleweewee genre.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I enjoy this title because using the phrase three times within a sentence like that forces the people who do think it should be used to assess how fucking stupid it is.

The best part if that it was meant to be sort of a put down, implying how the games all mindlessly follow the same format, and people immediately started mindless repeating it.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
The only thing more hilarious to watch in these threads besides the inevitable "it's COD so of course it sucks" hate trains are the people bitching about the term "spunkgargleweewee". It 'slaps me on the knee' that a sarcastic, imaginary word elicits such anger and whining. As if it's mere utterance opens the flood gates of rage.

I offer a toast to Yahtzee for coining it.

But anyway, to the OPs (honestly crytpic and unclear) question:
What are you asking? Are you asking if we think it'll sell well?

It's a new Call of Duty. Of course it'll sell well - and on brand name alone. We know (mostly) what to expect.

It'll make hundreds of millions in sales. It'll be lauded as the most recent "must have" title. It'll become a mainstay of the "pro-scene" for the next two years. It'll become a point of contention for any number of dude-bro versus neckbeard flame wars that will inevitably pop up in many forums; including this one. And it'll be a system pusher.[footnote]Only in so far as being that last push some core console gamers need to convince them to buy one of the new consoles.[/footnote]

Really, the only uncertainty to this one is how the single and multi-player modes will shape up. This is Sledgehammer's first solo-run at making a Call of Duty game. And from the looks of things they're potentially attempting a few "new ideas" with this one.

Whether these "new ideas" amount to anything more than momentary gimmicks remains to be seen. Part of me almost hopes that they do, seeig as the series has had it's moments of brilliance. A return to form would be nice for a change.

'Course, I'd never wager on it...

Though I will admit to a certain level of interest in seeing what role Kevin Spacey is playing within the campaign.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
This is probably the first CoD game to interest me single player wise since MW2. Im getting a Spec Ops: the Line feel from the trailer (ie, you think you are the hero?)

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Well the phrase "spunkgargleweewee" still sounds shit and is short of funny (if you do well congrats on the shit taste in "funny").

It's been a while since I last played a COD game (around the beginning of BLOPS and left before MW3 was even out) so I might be willing to give this new one a shot since GHOSTS and the previous two didn't entice me enough, I'm not expecting the game to blow my socks off, I hardly expect any game to do that these days with most being lacklustre but I am expecting some fun out of it.

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
Can we just go back to World War 2 already? I'm tired of Future Warfare and all the future gadgets, I want my normal WW2 grenades and guns back, I want it to go back to when the series was extremely Good and Strong and brilliant Character Designs, Please Treyarch or Sledgehammer Games I beg you

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
josemlopes said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
Specially since it missed the point of why COD and its clones got boring while just focusing on the theme of the game (modern military shooter). By that ideology calling Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon a "that term" is correct even though in no way could they be compared to the type of game COD is.

COD and its clones are bad because of the over reliance on scripted sequences and linearity, and even then only because so many games used it so much (remember when Call of Duty 2 and 4 were called good games?)
is not linearity, linearity isnt bad, its the whole hand-holding in the game