Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

Yahtzee accepts the challenge: How would he fix Call of Juarez?

Read Full Article

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
I was wondering when this would come out. Good show Yahtzee. Also, I vote we start a petition to get more Westerns ending with Giant Robot Spider Fights(tm).

Eggplant

Nov 11, 2008
Its good to see these now, it gives us more about the games then what he can fit in 4 min and hes usually right

I also love that he reads atleast some of his comments. I wonder if he gets bored of reading the same thing for 6 or more pages?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
but, but, if they had a giant robot spider you would criticize it for being completely fucking random.

aside from that, you would think they would have learned from the showdowns in the first game, those were damn hard

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The only thing fun about cowboys is PLAYING them. Even reading an article about a cowboy-game is boring. Wish I could still rent games so I could check this one out.

Apr 28, 2008
A giant spider fight... wasn't that in some Will Smith movie?

And they did overdo the showdowns. Maybe an epic horse chase throughout the wild west, followed by chasing him through an enemy infested ghost town, followed by a gunfight, then a cutscene where he says his final words. THAT is what should have happened.

Fat Man Spoon said:
"Tap X to wave it back and forth"

Wouldn't that make him want to shoot that, rather than the showdown fellow?
I know I would

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I liked the Article until the last two sentences when you flogged the Nintendo horse a bit more, besides, the Hardcore crowd are still with them to an extent, look at the reaction to a single bit of concept art involving Link and some weird looking blue girl.

I hope we can look forward to another crossdressing contest when Red Dead Redemption comes out though.
Not that I like that stuff or anything.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Fat Man Spoon said:
"Tap X to wave it back and forth"

Wouldn't that make him want to shoot that, rather than the showdown fellow?
Exactly my thought :p

Anyway Yahtzee (eventhough youre probably not reading this) the Cowboys had a thing called honour, they'd rather kill through a totally fair showdown than my shooting someone in the face while he sleeps. Ofcourse it does break the flow of the game but if you take on a western theme you'd be silly not to include stuff like that...

Anyway I hope Extra Punctuation articles will stay a regular thing on The Escapist, while not as funny and whatever as the Zero Punctuation vids they provide a bit more actual information, and ofcourse some silly humour with it. And ranting. And more ranting.

Keep it up!

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
For the final little passage about the "Hardcore Gamer". . .

Thank you, just thank you.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
With this whole cheating talk I was kinda expecting you to suggest adding cheating enemies as hazard to the duels, gotta avoid having a chair smashed over your head while you're waiting for the bell to ring or react to the enemy drawing before the bell rings (of course he wouldn't draw as fast or hit as unavoidably then).

By the way, casual gamers buy Mario games. Zelda TP would bore them out of their minds (we're talking about people who don't have time for that applesauce) but plain old 2D Mario seems to be something they like. At very least they bought it on the DS.

ldwater

Jun 15, 2009
So they want the guns to be historically accurate, but then they include 'show downs' that NEVER actually happened? (They we're invented by hollywood)

As for 'fixing' the quickdraw boss fights I would agree that maybe they should be limited, or at least make them more flexible like allow your brother to distrupt or lay a trap or something.

I mean these guys are outlaws, so whos to say that they can't just throw some TNT at the guy, or draw early - not like they are gonna win any 'best behaved scout troop' badges or anything.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
headshotcatcher said:
Anyway Yahtzee (eventhough youre probably not reading this) the Cowboys had a thing called honour, they'd rather kill through a totally fair showdown than my shooting someone in the face while he sleeps.
Christ, they're not Samurai. Besides Cowboys were men who would run the cattle from the Ranch to the Railroad, not Gunslingers who's enemies would drop dead in the street with an unexplained bullet wound.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
AmrasCalmacil said:
headshotcatcher said:
Anyway Yahtzee (eventhough youre probably not reading this) the Cowboys had a thing called honour, they'd rather kill through a totally fair showdown than my shooting someone in the face while he sleeps.
Christ, they're not Samurai. Besides Cowboys were men who would run the cattle from the Ranch to the Railroad, not Gunslingers who's enemies would drop dead in the street with an unexplained bullet wound.
Pistols at dawn, bring nobody

As for the cowboys stuff, you know what I meant with that..

Catfoot

Jul 29, 2009
headshotcatcher said:
Anyway Yahtzee (eventhough youre probably not reading this) the Cowboys had a thing called honour, they'd rather kill through a totally fair showdown than my shooting someone in the face while he sleeps. Ofcourse it does break the flow of the game but if you take on a western theme you'd be silly not to include stuff like that...
Umm, honour? The honour of sending 50 billion hench-cowboys to kill you rather than coming for you themselves?
I think this game had already ignored of cowboy honour too much to go along with it for a boss fight.
Although yeah i agree cowboys do it all the time in movies etc. so its probably on the checklist for making a cowboy game.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
headshotcatcher said:
AmrasCalmacil said:
headshotcatcher said:
Pistols at dawn, bring nobody

As for the cowboys stuff, you know what I meant with that..
Pistols? I choose the Banjo.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I've never been a fan of game devs trying to make gameplay ultra realistic because then we end up with situations such as this. As soon as you get into the game immersion starts to break as soon as there is some slight flaw or imperfection which there will ALWAYS be. Games like this deserve to be movies, not an interactive experience. Realism is dull and tedious. I'd rather be having a sword fight with a velociraptor on a tightrope over a pit of lava.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Very well done. I'm glad we're getting this new articles every Friday- it helps illuminate Yahtzee's thoughts on the game he's just reviewed, and he makes a lot of good points, especially the bit about hardcore gamers. I look forward to seeing more of these in the future.

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
AmrasCalmacil said:
headshotcatcher said:
he's right you know, there are cowboys today, but now the ride ATVs and get dead cows off the road

Kanazuchi

Aug 20, 2008
I regard casual games as a brain cleanser, a mental sorbet, something light to enjoy before you goad a Big Daddy into charging through tripwires and landmines or taking yet another hack at passing Painkiller.

As for the entire Nintendo thing, as much as I love Yahtzee, I think he's got a bit of a double standard going. In his Gears of War 2 review, he says that things that are mainstream, in order to stay mainstream and profitable, have to stay the same. I think that's what the Mario, Metroid, and Zelda hardcore gamers are looking for, more of the same. But that's what he rags on Nintendo for doing. I've been playing DDR for 9 years now, and all I expect out of the next version is new songs.