Calling all Captain Beefheart fans!

MrPatience

Mar 25, 2009
Was that a reference to Trout Musk Replica in episode 15 of Doomsday Arcade? I'm pretty sure it was, and as such I am in a better mood than I have been for quite some time. How about a Beefheart discussion?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Frank Zappa was better. But they(Zappa and Beefheart) did a live album collaboration which is awesome.

No idea if it was a reference in Doomsday arcade.

MrPatience

Mar 25, 2009
In episode 15 of Doomsday Arcade Lund quotes 'Yes, Mascara Snake, fast and bulbous', which I think Beefheart says at the beggining of Neon Meate Dream of a Octofish. 'The Mascara Snake' was the nickname Beefheart gave to his cousin, who played clarinet on some of the tracks.
I remember how much Trout Musk Replica blew my mind the first time I listened to it. How everything I heard seemed completely random and contrasting to every other part of the music, but how it still managed to maintain a steady rythm.

Timtimfed

Oct 2, 2008
Yeah, I'm a big Beefheart fan which is where that reference came from.
Been working through his discography this year and It's amazing to look at the contrast between albums like Trout Mask Replica and Bluejeans and Moonbeams, where Beefheart more or less knocked out a pop record to try and make some money for once.
One of the best voices I've ever heard with the most unique music.

MrPatience

Mar 25, 2009
Timtimfed said:
Yeah, I'm a big Beefheart fan which is where that reference came from.
Been working through his discography this year and It's amazing to look at the contrast between albums like Trout Mask Replica and Bluejeans and Moonbeams, where Beefheart more or less knocked out a pop record to try and make some money for once.
One of the best voices I've ever heard with the most unique music.
I remember when my friend, who got me in to Beefheart, found Bluejeans and Moonbeams on vinyl in an old music shop. We went to his house to listen to it, and thought 'this is so much more mad and ridiculous than his other albums!'. Unbeknownst to us at the time, my friend had his record player set to short play, so everything was sped up. As a result, it lasted just under 30 minutes, and Van Vliet sounded like he had an unhealthy addiction to helium.
My friend told me recently that he listened to it on the correct setting for the first time, and didn't like it anywhere near as much.

spikeyjoey

Sep 9, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XcdG_sXZjA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82gyb0cFJ20

(havent figured out how to embed yet :p

Listen and learn kiddies :)

white stripes version of ashtray is also worth a listen

MrPatience

Mar 25, 2009
spikeyjoey said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XcdG_sXZjA

white stripes version of ashtray is also worth a listen
It certainly is. And their cover of 'Party of special things to do' is one of my all time favorite peices of music.
Ohhhhh I wish this thread was receiving more views and responses. Not for my own sake but for the sake of any discerning music-loving people who may be missing out on something special.

spikeyjoey

Sep 9, 2009
MrPatience said:
Ohhhhh I wish this thread was receiving more views and responses. Not for my own sake but for the sake of any discerning music-loving people who may be missing out on something special.
True, but the cap'n is a very acquired taste.. even i cant listen to all of his songs all the way through :p

I think heroin helps :D (john frusciante of chilli peppers fame apparantly listened to him a lot during his binging years..)

ioxles

Nov 25, 2008
Moonlight on Vermont and Yellow Brick Road are songs I'll always come back to.

pickle weasel

Aug 18, 2007
I haven't ever heard of Captain Beefheart, but i'm glad I checked out this thread. I'll be sure to listen when I get the chance.
You guys rock!