Calling all car mechanics/car savvy users [Advice needed]

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Normally I'd slide this into an advice forum, but seeing as we don't have one on the V2 forum (Which I don't blame them for, the V1 advice forum was dead), I thought I'd try my luck in Off-Topic.

Within the next few months I'm going to be getting an upgrade from my current car, a 2000 Honda Civic, to something newer, around the 2010-2014 range. I've done a lot of research and I've narrowed down my choices to a few specific models and years. One would think I'd have an answer by now considering I've exhausted online reviews and opinions. However, I still don't have a solid idea of what might be a good choice. My options are:

2010-2011 Honda Civic
2011-2013 Mazda 3
2010-2014 Toyota Corolla

It's a narrow list, but I am firmly placed in the interest of Japanese make cars, no European or Domestics. I just drive around town, to and from the city nearby, and not much else. I'm not transporting stuff, moving people, or anything like that. It's just for me. The Corolla would be the ideal choice if I'm looking for reliability. The problem is that since they hold their value so much better, they often scrape the high end of what I might wanna spend (Around 11k Canadian all-in preferably, but I'd like to spend less than that if I can). I like all 3 of them for different reasons.

Here's the real part of the debate here. What has me sketched is opinions around the 8th gen Honda Civic and the 2nd gen Mazda 3, as they seem rather divided. Mazda has shot up in reliability ratings and Honda has dropped, but my mechanic I've been going to for the past 6 years says the Mazda 3 (And Mazda in general) are built like crap, and his workers and my neighbour who does his own repairs agree. My mechanic suggested the Civic, but I've also heard equally opinionated things on those. It has me rather confused, which is why I want to hear from anyone here who knows these cars, either mechanically, or just in general based on your own experiences.

I know if I'm looking for pure reliability, the Corolla is the best choice. However, I don't want it to be the only choice. So, this is more or less a question if the other 2 options are even remotely worth considering still. Again, I am not looking into any cars beyond these 3 choices. I've driven enough cars to know I prefer these best, especially considering their reputation among their peers like the Hyundai Elantra and Nissan Sentra.

Anything anyone has to add, I'd greatly appreciate the help! I can also go into more detail as well if requested

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I don't have specific experience with the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, or Mazda 3 from those specific time periods, but I can give some insight into Hondas, Toyotas, and Mazdas in general as my dad drove a Honda Accord until 2011, one of my best friends only drives Toyotas (he's had 3 since I've known him), and I currently drive a Mazda.

As far as reliability is concerned Hondas are way overrated. During the 8 years that my dad owned his Honda Accord it was, per year, the most expensive car in our household to repair.

Toyotas have fantastic reliability, but I hate driving them. They don't feel particularly responsive. Everything about the way they drive feels a little laggy and squishy unless you go for the more high end models. Still, my friend is terrible about doing auto maintenance yet he's never had any significant issues despite treating the cars pretty poorly. If all you car about is making sure the car lasts and you don't really care about driving feel then Toyota is probably your safest bet.

Mazdas drive very well. Their reliability can be questionable depending on where they are made. Mazda has plants in Japan, Mexico, and the US. The cars made in Japan are great reliability wise. The ones made in Mexico are crap. I believe Toyota and Honda are probably the same. Not sure if it would be possible to find out where the particular cars you're looking at were originally produced.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Their reliability can be questionable depending on where they are made. Mazda has plants in Japan, Mexico, and the US. The cars made in Japan are great reliability wise. The ones made in Mexico are crap.
Hoo boy, I hope this doesn't become yet another thing that can make this search even harder x.x But that's good to know, I'll keep that in the back of my mind

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Yup, I know. I'm not in the US, though I dunno how much of a difference that makes here. Surprised to hear that it's still popular for theft many years down the line, though my current Civic year was popular for theft due to a lack of security systems to prevent it. I've got a few added ones in play, but I haven't had to worry about it much thankfully

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I've got an 06 corrolla, its a boring drive but its reliable as hell and even if something does need to be replaced parts are cheap. If you want a car that just works and is pretty cheap to keep running then get a corrolla, if you have a lot of driving and you want something more fun to drive you might want to check elsewhere. Although its possible the newer ones are more fun to drive.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I've had a 2010 Civic that got totaled and now I have a 2012 Civic and the only things I've ever had to do for them is basic maintenance. I can get 40 miles per gallon on my Civic if I mainly drive on the expressway, even doing nothing but city driving will get me 30 miles per gallon. I'd also say the Civics are pretty safe as I got hit by a guy running from the cops that blew a stop sign and T-Boned my driver's door going 35-40mph and I didn't even get a scratch. Lastly, I just absolutely love the dashboard of that era of Civics because the speedometer is as high as you can make it and you really don't even need to take your eyes off the road to see your speed. It's a thing I noticed immediately when I was driving a rental after the accident.

I forget what year the Corollas had a redesign (I test drove a new one when they first changed, I wanna say it was 2014). The Corolla interior design before that was just so very plain and boring and looked so like an old person car. And, I say that as someone that doesn't really care about interior design much.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I've got an 06 corrolla, its a boring drive but its reliable as hell and even if something does need to be replaced parts are cheap . If you want a car that just works and is pretty cheap to keep running then get a corrolla, if you have a lot of driving and you want something more fun to drive you might want to check elsewhere.
I've heard the same. My 2000 Civic apparently has unparalleled reliability for its time, and it's been great to me, so I'd hope to get something somewhat similar. It sounds like Toyota will do that, but it is indeed a pretty meh drive during my test drives. Drove a 2009, 2014, and a 2016 model. They're ok, but after driving the Mazda 3 I marvelled at how entertaining it was to drive. But, it wouldn't be as fun to drive if it was falling apart all the time, hence me making sure I get a really good car.

I forget what year the Corollas had a redesign (I test drove a new one when they first changed, I wanna say it was 2014). The Corolla interior design before that was just so very plain and boring and looked so like an old person car. And, I say that as someone that doesn't really care about interior design much.
I liked the interior of the 2012 I drove a lot, but the seats made my back hurt, painfully so. Was hoping the 2010/2011 would fix that, coming before the 2012 redesign. The 8th gen still looks good internally. The Corolla... Hoo boy, yeah, it's really lame. The Corolla itself, internally and externally (And apparently with how they drive) all sound like a yawn fest. But if the difference in reliability is so high that I'd be stupid to pick looks over practicality, then I can deal with it. Mine's not exactly a looker, after all

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I've heard the same. My 2000 Civic apparently has unparalleled reliability for its time, and it's been great to me, so I'd hope to get something somewhat similar. It sounds like Toyota will do that, but it is indeed a pretty meh drive during my test drives. Drove a 2009, 2014, and a 2016 model. They're ok, but after driving the Mazda 3 I marvelled at how entertaining it was to drive. But, it wouldn't be as fun to drive if it was falling apart all the time, hence me making sure I get a really good car.
My friend has a mazda 3 and I got to drive it when I was visiting her. It was a pretty fun drive, certainly felt like it had much more pep then my corolla, but felt like it had very similar dimensions so it was easy to pick up and drive. I don't think shes had any issues with it, but its also not very old, like I think its only a few years old at this point.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I totally should have linked this guy with my first post here.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Yeah, hes got a really weird style to his vids that re just fun.
After watching that vid about the Mazda 3, I did some further research after he mentioned a Ford partnership. Turns out Mazda was partnered with Ford for a long time, and the Mazda 3 is based on their "C1 platform" for their cars, which is also used on stuff like the Ford Focus. They also shared many internal components from what I've gathered. It wasn't until Mazda made the SkyActive engine that they started using way less Ford parts on a modified C1 platform partnered with Volvo. I think I see why my mechanic gave them so much shit now, I don't remember Ford having a quality track record. Maybe if I stuck around the 2012-2013 range with a SkyActive engine I'd be better off. Will send an e-mail his way and ask for more details

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
After watching that vid about the Mazda 3, I did some further research after he mentioned a Ford partnership. Turns out Mazda was partnered with Ford for a long time, and the Mazda 3 is based on their "C1 platform" for their cars, which is also used on stuff like the Ford Focus. They also shared many internal components from what I've gathered. It wasn't until Mazda made the SkyActive engine that they started using way less Ford parts on a modified C1 platform partnered with Volvo. I think I see why my mechanic gave them so much shit now, I don't remember Ford having a quality track record. Maybe if I stuck around the 2012-2013 range with a SkyActive engine I'd be better off. Will send an e-mail his way and ask for more details
I think RCR has a ford focus that he really likes.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I've owned a Honda Civic and a Toyota Corolla. The Honda eventually became too expensive to keep in good repair. The Corolla was probably the best car I ever owned in terms of reliability and ease of repair... but I'm not sure how well that stands up because it was a '79 Corolla and it was just pure car, not a lot in it to go wrong compared with more modern models. The only Mazda I've driven was an MX-5 I drove from a dealership to an auction and back (I worked for the auction.) Beautiful car, marred slightly by the trunk that had to remain unlatched and tied down because of the jury rigged battery charger that had to be constantly hooked up to it to keep it running.