Calling all single people, what are you doing to survive the 14th?

Gazzoid

May 27, 2011
I don't care for traditions, so I treat days like Valentines like any other day of the week...

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
Wait... It was valentines day?
Turns out it doesn't matter to single people, no reason for reflection in my case.
My favorite restaurant was fully booked though so I was pleased to see the owners happy face the day after when I went for a beer.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
Day started out a little crappy, getting scolded by my parents. Then I got chocolate from someone at school. Then I was all like "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude and he looks nice."

jizzytissue

Feb 16, 2012
i usually don't even notice it's valentines day just an excuse for shops to make u spend more bloody money

zz_

Jul 15, 2010
I chilled, listened to music, played some cards with my friends, went home and watched a movie. And it's not like I don't want a girlfriend, but this day doesn't mean anything to me. It's just cold and rainy. Like every other day of February.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
I know it's already past but, I worked. Don't like being single on Valentine's? Get a restaurant job, you'll always be too busy on the 14th to have a partner for it, thus justifying not celebrating it and providing an excuse that leaves people unable to consider you sad. Frankly I don't care about Valentine's Day and I doubt I would even if I had a girlfriend, at least not any more than I would celebrate any other day with her.

However, during my running around, serving couples on Valentine's evening, I couldn't help but notice - and was not one bit surprised to see - a large table of girls going out for dinner and drinks together, no guys. I proceed to call them the Beyonce table, and I expect to see one every year.

theguitarhero6

Nov 21, 2009
Me and 3 other single friends went to see Megadeth, Motorhead, Volbeat and Lacuna Coil on Gigantour. I have to say that it was time well spent!

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
The Cool Kid said:
Your the exact kind of person I'm talking about who should be alone to find their independence. There are two ways you'll take my reply. Either you will think I'm just trying to insult you or maybe, and hopefully you will see the truth in what I have to say.

Why do you need to be in a relationship with her? Why can't you just be friends? Why do you feel such an emotional pull at such a young age? Do you think that is healthy?

Saying it won't matter how she looks is just bullshit. There are natural trends in what is and is not considered attractive. I doubt you are an exception to these rules of nature or have somehow overcome millions of years of evolution & mastered the subconscious.

The fact you are willing to overlook your natural urges tells me that it is because you are emotionally needy, and therefore willing to settle for less instead of waiting out, only because you cannot cope without the emotional attachment a relationship brings. I do think some people are beautiful, but I'm not blinded by emotional neediness to ignore flaws.

Breakups do not always have a mutual understanding. They rarely do.

Relationships are great when you are in them for the right reason which is that person is not necessary, but does make your life better. You have not nailed the first point because you need her to be your gf, and certainly not nailed the second point because your emotional neediness will blind you to what you do actually need to make your life better as you are using a relationship to most likely avoid becoming emotionally independent.

If you think you can learn a lot in a less then a month, you must know some incredibly shallow people, or be ignorant of how much people hide from extremely new friends. You're not going to learn about potentially disastrous character traits in less then a month.

I'm being realistic. In a week or two someone isn't going to tell me about how casual they are with the other gender, how they view fidelity, morality, politics and so on. As I said, if you can know all this within a week of meeting someone, they must be as deep as a puddle. Also you do not cater for how people change. People change quickly when they are young so who may seem good may be quite different in a year, so why have invested so much energy into a pointless relationship?

Don't you have friends you can get drunk with...?
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner but I was in QLD with her and three other girls. All of which are my friends. I don't think you're trying to insult me, I suspect the advice of the others who just call you a troll is true. Because seriously, you must be so out of it. I've explained why I want to remain in a relationship with her. Having a relationship is healthy, not having one is healthy. People can do what they like as long as they are happy.
And yes, it wouldn't matter how she looked - sure it would matter to a degree,- I wouldn't want her to be obese or have half her face missing, but looks are not essential. Your point about evolution is also crap because society sets beauty standards nowadays. Fat is desirable in evolution because it shows that your mate has enough to raise a child and has a good source of food.
One of my friends who was on the trip is in several polyamorous relationships. Three to be precise. And she is not gorgeous when judged by society. I'll just quote her:

Yesterday was my last day in Surfer's Paradise (in Queensland, Australia, for those that don't know) and it was the first day that I think I really just enjoyed myself on the trip and started to feel sad that I was going to leave. We had to check out of the apartment by 10am so we woke up early and cleaned and drank the last of all the beer/cider, walked to the beach for one last swim, bought ice cream, waltzed to the sound of a piano accordion being played by a lovely old European woman on the street, I bought a book, waded through the water one last time at sunset, and took a plane home finally at 8:30 pm.
One thing though that happened yesterday makes me feel really happy and contented to think about and reminds me why I love my friends so much, and I can't explain it in it's original form but can only put it into my own words; we were walking around and I was talking about how I don't take compliments well, more often as a deficiency of the other person's judgement, a rose-coloured glasses effect, and my friend/old best friend's boyfriend pointed out that considering I have at least three people looking for affection from me I should realise that I am someone who is good and wanted and pleasant and all those positive things. People rarely say that sort of thing to me short of it being [snip] and [snip] (who, as I say, I put into the rose-coloured glasses category), and coming from certain people like that it really sneaks its way into me. I don't know, it was just a really pleasant way for the trip to end; I hope (and like to think that) life will continually more pleasant than it has been from now on.
Seriously. I have the best friends. The most honest friends. These people are not shallow, they are extremely complicated, and I'm still learning new things about them every day. But you can tell if you like someone extremely quickly.

If you and your partner are mutually understanding and honest you can break up with minimal pain, and complete understanding. Most people don't do that, and that is their fault. But you are choosing to pick on me, not them.

Relationships are worth it because they improve how you think about people. They give you lessons and experiences. They are fun, and they are happymaking. The only real harm comes when they end, which also is an experience to be had.

I get drunk with my friends (90% of which are girls, if that makes any difference to you), I enjoy being around them and they make me happy. Sure, I would be happy without my gf being my gf, but why not keep her that way?
I get to feel a thrill when I kiss her, I get to be closer to her than I would otherwise, I have an excuse to call her over and play games, watch movies or adventure with her for the whole day. I can feel alive touching her all over. If you think that all that is "unhealthy" or a waste of time then you have issues.

Also, assessing what my reply with be by putting it into two catagories you have assigned yourself before I have even made my comment makes you seem like a twat.
Last of all: "You're" not "Your"

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
The Cool Kid said:
So because my advice differs from your thoughts I'm a troll?
Well, I was going to write a well thought out bit of advice for you, but y'know what? I won't waste my words on someone who is too blind to see past his own nose.
You say I'm incapable of not being in a relationship, so I should skip out on all the benefits because my relationship is ultimately pointless.
You call me emotionally needy because I think my girlfriend is beautiful.
You then say this neediness is blinding me from true happiness.
You say I can't learn anything in a few weeks and call my friends shallow.
You say people are capable of change so this makes any relationship doomed.
And you call me blind?

Seriously. You are not a troll, you just have no clue at all.

My relationship is not pointless. I am so ridiculously happy with everything that comes of it, as I am with most of the rest of my life. If it were to end in a month it still would not be pointless. I highly doubt it will though.
My previous two fails of relationships (the first of which was with my current gf) weren't pointless either. Without them I would not be the person I am now. Without them I wouldn't have learnt so much about other people, the workings of relationships and how to keep them functional.
I've listened to you, you're just spouting crap. BYE BYE NOW.