Cameos Unlikely in MGS: Rising, Says Producer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cameos Unlikely in MGS: Rising, Says Producer

According to the game's producer, knowing the Metal Gear Solid back story will not be required to understand MGS: Rising.

Don't expect to see a whole host of familiar faces in Metal Gear Solid: Rising [http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Rising-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J8FI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281441256&sr=8-1], as Kojima Productions is planning to keep the number of cameos to a minimum to make the game more accessible to those new to the Metal Gear Solid series.

MGS: Rising is set after MGS2 and shows how Raiden became the cyborg ninja we wee in MGS4, but producer Shigenobu Matsuyama says that Kojima Productions doesn't want players to feel like they need to play the entire Metal Gear Solid series just to know who everyone is and follow what's going on.

"We don't really want to refer to and dwell upon the Metal Gear saga so much," he said. "We want newcomers to the game to come in and play freely without needing to know and understand the background of the whole Metal Gear Solid universe."

Matsuyama has said in the past [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101706-Metal-Gear-Solid-Rising-More-Than-Just-a-Spin-Off-Says-Producer] that Rising is considered the start of a new branch of the Metal Gear Solid series, so it makes sense that Kojima Productions is trying to keep it as accessible as possible. But as the MGS series has one of the most complicated story in videogame history, Rising will probably still probably have plenty of twists and turns. I mean, it wouldn't be Metal Gear Solid otherwise, right?

Source: Connected Consoles [http://www.connectedconsoles.com/ps3-kojipro-mgs-rising-unlikely-to-have-many-returning-characters.cfm]

Jun 7, 2010
"the cyborg ninja we wee in MGS4"

at what point does the player piss out a cyborg ninja?

this is a good idea, it would be silly not to do this. though i do see the whole "we liked it first we r the true fans cuz we know moar than u!!!" argument (read: shitflinging) appearing when rising comes out.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
So besides Raiden, no cameos of any other reconizable characters from MGS... So, other than Raiden it's going to be tied to the 'MGS' Brand by the character alone... Nice, this will make as much sense like When Devil May Cry was sopposed to be Resident Evil 4.

Zirat

May 16, 2009
So an entire branch of the series goes to Raiden?

Eh, to be honest I really dont care for the character. I just cant seem to muster up kind of feeling for the guy, snd he lost all chance of me believing in him when he started flipping around two GEKKO's he was tied to by his feet

BoosterGold

Jul 21, 2010
Good Raiden needs more love I always like the guy, you put him with EVA or anyone else people seem to want to hurt the guy.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
It's good that they're trying to keep it "fresh" for those not into the MGS series, but I can't help but shake the feeling that it's just a bit, I dunno, "different" for lack of a better word.

Something about what I saw in the trailer just really put me off of it. Oh sure, it looks pretty sweet with all the precise dismembering and stuff, and most likely I'll play it to see for myself, but it just didn't seem like a Metal Gear Solid game. Metal Gear game, sure, but if it's the end of Solid Snake's story why put Raiden in and still call it Solid? Metal Gear Lightning would be more appropriate.

I dunno, I'm just not getting a good vibe off the game in general, at least from what I've seen from the trailer. That and Kojima is not apart of it at all, or at least less part of the game than in the other ones. Say what you will about him, but he always adds a certain flair to it that few other developers can do. I could be completely wrong and I honestly hope I am, but something about the game just puts me off it.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
That's cool for me, I've never actually played a Metal gear solid game, as I am a 360 owner.
To be honest, though, I'm probably not gonna care a whole lot about story when I can cut anything any way with my kick ass sword.
That's provided the game gets into Australia (and with our current bull-shit laws about games classification, that's probably not likely.)

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I understood the following:
"You don't have to play the part of Metal Gear Solid 2 that has Raiden in it to understand what's going on in Rising."
All I have to say is thank God! I'm still trying to erase my memory of that part of the game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats good, should mean, hopefully, will be significantly less convoluted storywise, and allow it to have more focus

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Cut your hair Raiden, you look like a angsty Teenager.... And pull up those pants

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Thanks. Thanks a lot.
The only game I've played from the series was MGS4 and that one confused the hell out of me.
So, yeah, another point in favor of this game.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Thanks. Thanks a lot.
The only game I've played from the series was MGS4 and that one confused the hell out of me.
well of course if you only played MGS4 you will be confused, your meant to have played MGS1-3 to understand.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Necromancer1991 said:
Personally I think at least knowing what occurred in MGS2 will help you understand Raiden more.
Maybe we will get a series of briefind videos, just like in Metal Gear Solid. That would be sweet. I loved watching those.

Anyway, this is a good approach by Kojima Productions. MGS 4 was frequently criticised for requiring so much knowledge of the previous parts in the series. So it's important to make a spinoff title as accessible as possible, especially since it is appearing on platforms where it previously wasn't present (Xbox 360) or at least not frequently (PC).

Personally, I am excited for the title. While I hear a lot of bad things about Raiden as a character, the sheer fact that the PC platform is finally getting an MGS title after many years (the last one being MGS 2) is reason enough for me to look forward to this game.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Korten12 said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Thanks. Thanks a lot.
well of course if you only played MGS4 you will be confused, your meant to have played MGS1-3 to understand.
Well, I kind of knew that, but I really felt like experiencing MGS4.
And it was a really good game, actually. Just with a story that makes zero fucking sense on its own.