Camouflage Technology Draws Inspiration from Octopus Biology

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Camouflage Technology Draws Inspiration from Octopus Biology

Scientists are using camouflage abilities found in octopi and other cephalopods to help develop color-changing technology with a variety of applications

Researchers from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign [http://www.uh.edu/news-events/stories/2014/August/0818Cephalopods] have created a type of camouflage technology that mimics how certain sea creatures change color in the wild. Particular cephalopods (such as squid and octopus) have this ability and use it not only to help blend in with their surroundings, but to communicate with other members of their species. The findings of this study have been published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, which was released yesterday.

The team developed flexible sheets of light sensors that were imbedded with a temperature-sensitive dye. This dye can automatically sense its surroundings and adapt its color to best suit its environment- changing from opaque to colorless in response to temperatures above 117 degrees Fahrenheit (47 degrees Celsius). "These devices are capable of producing black-and-white patterns that spontaneously match those of the surroundings, without user input or external measurement," the team members documented in their research.

The color-changing elements in this technology act like chromatophores- tiny pigment-containing organs in cephalopods that can reflect light. The reflective background react like leucophores, which are white chromatophores found in some cephalopod species. The motors act like chromatophore-regulating muscles, and the light sensor acts like structures that contain opsins- light-sensitive receptors involved in a cephalopod's vision.

In their tests, the researchers were able to show that their technology was able to adapt to light-changing patterns in its surroundings within a 1 to 2 second time frame. They also programmed the material to produce several black-and-white patterns, including one that spelled out "U o I" for the University of Illinois.

Artificial systems like this one could help pave the way to adaptive camouflage technology that can be modified to best suit its environment and integrated into electronics. This application could be used in a variety of areas- including consumer, industrial, and military fields. For further viewing, check out this video [http://www.livescience.com/47415-octopus-inspired-camouflage-made-in-a-lab-video.html] of the technology in action.

As always, be sure to share your thoughts in the comments section, and read about more Science and Tech [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136722-Foldable-Robot-Can-Build-Itself-in-4-Minutes] section right here on The Escapist!

Source: livescience [http://www.livescience.com/47416-octopus-inspired-camouflage.html]

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Soooo...one of them played Metal Gear Solid and said they could make it real. It's about time.

vdrandom

fsck
Dec 18, 2013
Is it so hard to provide metric numbers too? Not all the world is the US.

117°F is about 47°C

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Makes sense. Nature's already got a good idea, why not copy it?

Alufear said:
Octo-camo.

War has changed...
War never changes!

vdrandom said:

117°F is about 47°C
Why not just convert it yourself as you already have? It's what I do when addressing numbers that aren't by an American source.

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
vdrandom said:

117°F is about 47°C
I apologize. Normally I include both metric and standard units of measurements in my articles, but today I chose to include only one. Won't make that mistake again. :)

vdrandom

fsck
Dec 18, 2013
Blackwell Stith said:
I apologize. Normally I include both metric and standard units of measurements in my articles, but today I chose to include only one. Won't make that mistake again. :)
Thank you.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Well, I look forward to seeing a practical version of this if one is ever made.

What I want to see is an advanced version of that car color changing scheme that can switch from deep reds to deep greens by changing the frequency:

<youtube=Tl8LWTX9Guo>

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Otacon: The color-changing elements in this technology act like chromatophores- tiny pigment-containing organs in cephalopods that can reflect light. The reflective background react like leucophores, which are white chromatophores found in some cephalopod species. The motors act like chromatophore-regulating muscles, and the light sensor acts like structures that contain opsins- light-sensitive receptors involved in a cephalopod's vision.

Snake: Cephalopod's ... vision?

Damn, I miss David Hayter.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Dying_Jester said:
Soooo...one of them played Metal Gear Solid and said they could make it real. It's about time.
Damn, you beat me to it!

OT: This should be interesting, I love hearing about cool stuff like this. :D

I would love to have this if possible on a shirt, just changing colors for fun.