Campaign Matchmaking Coming to Halo: Reach Next Week

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Campaign Matchmaking Coming to Halo: Reach Next Week

Playing co-op with strangers is about it get easier, as Bungie adds a bunch of new playlists to Halo: Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1286808998&sr=8-1-spell] in a mid-month update.

What do you do when you get a hankering to play a game co-operatively, but there's no one else around? Usually, you'd have to try your luck online, but throwing yourself on the mercy of the internet can be a risky business, as you never know who'll you're going to end up with. At least one game is about to get ever so slightly less risky however, as an upcoming update for Halo: Reach means that you'll at least be guaranteed someone who has a similar skill level to you.

In the most recent Bungie weekly update [http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=29120], community manager Brian Jarrard said that, pending final testing and review, Bungie would be adding Campaign matchmaking to Reach next week, along with some tweaks to other playlists. Bungie also hopes to include dedicated Infection and Sniper playlists, again, pending testing and review. Jarrard said that the finalized details would be part of the next weekly update, due on Friday.

Also on the cards are community made maps appearing in standard matchmaking, although Jarrard says that before that happens it will work with Halo community groups to create a community map playlist as a test bed, before putting the best of the best into standard rotation. Additionally, Bungie is in talks to create official Major League Gaming [http://www.mlgpro.com/] and Grifball [http://www.grifball.com/home.php] playlists, which Jarrard hopes will be ready before the holidays.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-11-reach-campaign-matchmaking-next-week]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
What a time for my Xbox's wireless internet thingy to break.

I broke it while cleaning my room...

Jul 22, 2009
I hate griffball with a passion...
Thank god it will stay in it's own playlist.

I doubt I'll play MLG much but definitely a nice addition!

Community map playlist? Hell yeah!

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
No, here's a better idea

Put the new team slayer in a different mode. I don't want to play team swat for the millionth fucking time or classic slayer

I want to pick my new armour ability and not be killed with one headshot thank you

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
The Rockerfly said:
No, here's a better idea

Put the new team slayer in a different mode. I don't want to play team swat for the millionth fucking time or classic slayer

I want to pick my new armour ability and not be killed with one headshot thank you
Swat is in its own playlist already.

Infection with its own play list? Awesome.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Daemascus said:
The Rockerfly said:
No, here's a better idea

It's still in the team slayer mode, I haven't played Reach and I won't until the new team slayer is in a new mode

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Griffbal playlist? Infection playlist? YES. YEEEEES.

Sorry 'bout that.

The campaign part's good, too, but a Griffbal playlist is all I can think of know.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
The Rockerfly said:
Daemascus said:
The Rockerfly said:
No, here's a better idea

It's still in the team slayer mode, I haven't played Reach and I won't until the new team slayer is in a new mode
SWAT is definitely not in the standard team slayer playlist anymore. All that's in that is team slayer, elite slayer, classic slayer and possibly slayer pro. There could be others I've forgotten but they've removed SWAT from it.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
RE: Team Slayer. According to this Bungie post [http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=news&cid=29067], you're all wrong. As of last Tuesday, neither SWAT nor Classic Slayer is in the Team Slayer playlist.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Rusty Bucket said:
SWAT is definitely not in the standard team slayer playlist anymore. All that's in that is team slayer, elite slayer, classic slayer and possibly slayer pro. There could be others I've forgotten but they've removed SWAT from it.
I shall have to have a look because I don't have my xbox with me at uni, I shall try in saturday. If you're wrong then I'll butcher your family, if you're right then I'll butcher your family for making me look stupid

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The only (and I mean ONLY) thing I want in Reach matchmaking is the ability for players to join in progress matchmaking games. Y'know, like very other damn series on Xbox Live already lets you do.

More of my games on Reach have been ruined by an 8V8 becoming a 2V7 than any of the other technical maladies that affect that game. Although allowing players to leave games in the 'finding new host' screen wouldn't hurt either, especially given Reach's tendency to crash on that screen.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
The only (and I mean ONLY) thing I want in Reach matchmaking is the ability for players to join in progress matchmaking games. Y'know, like very other damn series on Xbox Live already lets you do.

More of my games on Reach have been ruined by an 8V8 becoming a 2V7 than any of the other technical maladies that affect that game. Although allowing players to leave games in the 'finding new host' screen wouldn't hurt either, especially given Reach's tendency to crash on that screen.
This is a terrible idea. I don't want to join a game that's already in progress, especially since most standard games already take less than ten minutes.

Yes, people quitting sucks. Yes, you should get over it.

The Rockerfly said:
I shall have to have a look because I don't have my xbox with me at uni, I shall try in saturday. If you're wrong then I'll butcher your family, if you're right then I'll butcher your family for making me look stupid
From Bungie:
Team Slayer Gametypes:

Slayer
Slayer Pro
Slayer DMRs
Elite Slayer
Snipers

No SWAT. Why add SWAT when there's a whole SWAT playlist?

Dr Megadeth

May 23, 2010
Team Arena is too easy, it's when you search by yourself and you get lousy American kids who can't play to a setup, No team shot, No callouts and they ***** CONSTANTLY!

All on their own assigned host.

Now the MLG playlist... yum.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The Bandit said:
This is a terrible idea. I don't want to join a game that's already in progress, especially since most standard games already take less than ten minutes.
It's an excellent idea, as shown by pretty much all other online shooters.

You're assuming people only play a single round. Play Call of Duty on consoles or any PC shooter and you'll see a server/lobby has a complete player turn over about once an hour and most players join during rather than between rounds (yes I keep track of these things, I know it's sad, administrating servers does that to you). If for any reason players can't get in (or limits are placed on their ability to get it), the server or lobby empties within an hour guaranteed.

It's much, much more important that you keep games fully populated or as close to as you can than to have every player play every round from beginning to end, that's impossible.
Players joining mid or near round end don't care. If they jump into a losing round nevermind, you mooch about for two minutes and lose, but you're into a fully populated game that will be rebalanced for the next round. If you stay in the game for 40 minutes you still get three or more complete rounds of play, in a fully populated game.

It's more important the lower the number of players, 30v32 on a Battlefield or CS game doesn't matter. Reach's biggest games are 8v8, 6v8 is difficult whilst 3v4 or 2v1 is unplayable.
It gets even more critical the fewer rounds you play as well. If a player only has time to play three rounds a day (40mins again), you cannot afford to have two of those three either crash or become unplayable because participants are leaving. They'll go play something else.

That Reach is down to less than 100'000 players per day (65'000peak ppd on 11/10) already should be telling Bungie (and you) something is wrong with the system. Modern Warfare and 2 certainly didn't lose players at the rate of more than 10'000 a week after release.

Sometimes innovations and breaks from normal work, but every other online game for fifteen plus years has let people in and out mid round for a reason.

PS,gaming is my hobby, I like making games work well for other people, I won't be getting over it.