Campaign Pledges to Finish 19th Century Steampunk Computer

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Campaign Pledges to Finish 19th Century Steampunk Computer

The analytical engine that started construction in the early 1800s but was never finished may finally be completed someday.

One of the world's first programmable computers was conceived by Charles Babbage all the way back in the 1830s with his "analytical engine," which is not unlike something you'd see in the world of steampunk. In fact, it was even powered by steam. Unfortunately, the machine was never finished, but a modern-day computer programmer wants to change that.

Babbage worked on the analytical engine for decades until he died in 1871, but denied government funding for the expensive device ended the possibility of it ever being finished. For its time, the analytical engine was an advanced idea that potentially would have been able to solve complex equations long before computers of the early to mid 1900s.

John Graham-Cumming of the UK hopes to succeed where Babbage's government failed him by raising the funds to build an entire analytical engine as originally envisioned. Graham-Cumming is trying to acquire £500,000 ($800,000) to build what he calls "an inspirational piece of equipment."

"What you realise when you read Babbage's papers is that this was the first real computer," Graham-Cumming told the Telegraph. "It had expandable memory, a CPU, microcode, a printer, a plotter and was programmable with punch cards."

Pieces of the analytical engine have been assembled in the past, but a complete, working model hasn't ever been put together. To complete the task would require the deciphering of Babbage's original designs, in addition to the large number of parts needed.

Graham-Cumming has promised to set up a non-profit organization dedicated to building the analytical engine if he raises the necessary funds. Once completed, the machine will be donated to a museum. If you'd like to help, Graham-Cumming has set up a donation page here [http://www.pledgebank.com/babbage]. It seems like he's got a long way to go, but it'd be really cool if he could pull this off.

Source: Blastr [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8064569/Campaign-launched-to-build-Charles-Babbages-Analytical-Engine.html]

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
How? HOW?

How the hell did some one almost make a computer in the 1800's?

Please for the love of god, some one explain.

gmacarthur81

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>
Nov 13, 2009
The Lost Big Boss said:
How? HOW?

It's complicated, like really complicated. Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytical_engine

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Where would we be right now if this would've been completed in the 1800s?
TV in 1870, Internet 1910, then Flame War I and Flame War II and around 1950 we'd already have gotten working DeLoreans.

Well, damn...

Discon

Sep 14, 2009
If this had actually been invented at the time, we MIGHT have been able to play Crysis at 60 fps right now, just maybe.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
The Lost Big Boss said:
How? HOW?

They had a steammachine in old Agypt of that no one thougth it could be usefull besides some jingamjing in a temple to impress the believers.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I remember watching Jeremy Clarkson talking about it. If they did adopt this, then he sadi World War 1 would've been done in a fortnight. Of course, this was Jeremy Clarkson, so we can presume a little longer than that.

Calumon: So... Jack's kettle can do numbers? :S

gmacarthur81

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>
Nov 13, 2009
GamesB2 said:
So is this anything like the difference engine?

That was based on Babbages design.
It's the sequel to Babbage's design, also designed by him.

Difference Engine = Calculator
Analytical Engine = Computer

If the British Academy of Science had not gotten the govt. to drop funding, this could have completely changed the world. And that has been the subject of several Steampunk novels, I might add.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Where would we be right now if this would've been completed in the 1800s?
Can I say Terminator?
OT: I might donate, though I'm curious, would it's operating system be Ye Olde Windowe?

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Yay for unnecessity?
This is cool and all... But... I still find it a bit unnecessary. Unless there is a question whether the computer would work and this will be the test, which would make sense.
But I never like these kind of homage things.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
The Lost Big Boss said:
How? HOW?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

significantly earlier and less complex

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_computer

Jun 7, 2010
If this had been finished...

I ain't donating, I would if i could. I really want to see this thing working.

Must not make cumming joke...must not make cumming joke!

Skuffyshootster

Jan 13, 2009
That's coincidental (not ironic), because I'm reading the Difference Engine right now, which is an alternate history steampunk novel where this was completed back in the 1850s.