Campaign Pledges to Finish 19th Century Steampunk Computer

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
Why did we drop the name analytical engine for computers? That's an awesome name, for example, those of us who've played Dawn of War 2/Chaos Rising will have heard computers referred to as "Logic Engines", and frankly I think that's a much better name for the damn things.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
If this had been finished...

I ain't donating, I would if i could. I really want to see this thing working.

Must not make cumming joke...must not make cumming joke!
*someone makes a cumming joke*
I guess I saw that cumming
*takes on sunglasses*
YEEEEEEEAAAH

OT: This looks great, just imagine what the world would have been like if we had this in the early 1900s? Flying iPads and shit :D

Wrists

May 26, 2010
I wonder if it would have made any difference really. Maybe it would have ruined computing as we know it by making it seem that base 10 was the best choice for computing machines. Oh well, best not to dwell on it.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
That's pretty cool, but also... 800K? why would they need 800k to make a really low-tech computer... I mean, I get that they would need a lot of custom parts, but it still seems really high.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
Nincompoop said:
Yay for unnecessity?
This is cool and all... But... I still find it a bit unnecessary. Unless there is a question whether the computer would work and this will be the test, which would make sense.
But I never like these kind of homage things.
I agree. While this is cool, there are better places 800k could be going.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I wonder what the world today would be like if he had been given government funding? Perhaps the 'net would have been invented in the '50s.

It's one of those interesting things that pop into your head, like if Lawrence Hargrave had gotten more support, would Australia not America been the leader in early aviation?

Dozens of little things that might have happened, It's the reason I love alternate history

REAPER5594

Nov 3, 2009
Quaxar said:
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Where would we be right now if this would've been completed in the 1800s?
TV in 1870, Internet 1910, then Flame War I and Flame War II and around 1950 we'd already have gotten working DeLoreans.

Well, damn...
That's it, I now have a reason to rebuild my time machine. To get those bastards to finish the steampunk computer.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
Okay, being a Steampunk junkie, I must say that this looks mint!
Though what would the world be like now IF it had been made during the 1800s? Would we be living in a steampunk land with blimp like flying machines and such...that would have been awesome.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
can't believe I'm not late for this joke....

Ejem... "Wonder If I'll be able to play games on Steam with it"

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Meanwhile China just constructed the world's most powerful supercomputer, Japan is building lifelike robots India is starting a space program, Pennsylvania has built robots running on mice brains, and California is developing fusion power.

Always thinking ahead UK!