Can a guy gamer get a say in this bull?

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
I never thought of it that way, but do you remember the term called TOMBOY? There are girls that like guns and cars and stuff like that. Not all girls out there are fru-frus.

Archetypal_Maniac

Nov 19, 2009
FirstToStrike said:
I never thought of it that way, but do you remember the term called TOMBOY? There are girls that like guns and cars and stuff like that. Not all girls out there are fru-frus.
No..eh..no you missed...oh jeez. This is not aimed at GIRLS, this is a message to those who cry sexism and make these assumptions. Men and women do this but maybe theres some sort of evil robot controlling it all.

My favourite one is: "Gaming is just not accessible to girls" WHAT? So when a girl tries to buy a console in a game store the clerk says: "Sorry little lady, games arn't for you, what's that you have there? Call of Duty? oh no no this is your Call of Duty" To which the clerk retrives a special gamer store made iron to give to girls who are under the delusion that they are allowed to play games. They really should put those no girls allowed signs up in front of the shops to stop girls embarassing themselves like that I tell you.

Fact is if they could make Sims a game based on boobs and vaginas, then they could import their adverts through subliminal messages into my dreams where I fall through clouds, landing safely into a loving bosom. I'd wake up and think, wow that was a nice dream, thanks EA, but I still wouldn't buy it because I think The Sims fucking SUCKS.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Archetypal_Maniac said:
As a female you can have sex with:
Alistair (male)
Zevran (male)
Leliana (woman)
KEWL!!! HAWT LEZBOS!!! I IZ SOOO BYIN DIS GAYM i HOPE THERS BEWBS!!!!one!!!eleven! (Continuing with the obvious satire theme)

OP: I...totally agree. I agree %100. Really don't have much to say here. *Twiddles thumbs*

I'll leave now.

ReinofFire

Jun 30, 2009
I agree with the message but one thing.

How.

Can.

This.

Be.

Fixed??
Its enough to talk about it but I have been thinking about this for a few minutes and I could not find nothing to add to this that would be important. I think it is pretty mean that the stereotype is that women think men are sexist or only think about simple things. I dont agree with that but I do think that happens. If it was stereotyped then it probably happens often enough. Also that girl games are pink fluffy versions of some games, well that would not make sense since there are guys that like that too.

On a different note though I also think games should not use girls on the front unless they actually had something to do with the game, not just being a side character or something else. What they show is also pretty "meh". They are kinda over doing it when the body is the only part of her worth knowing. Sad.

I am sorry to say that the only advice on this matter I can give is endure. Because they are not going to change anything just for a few dedicated gamers unfortunately.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
clairedelune said:
However, it should be noted that the gaming population is and has been evolving to include increasing amounts of female players, so there will definitely be charges of sexism in the name of being raving feminists.
Granted, but some complaints at least deserve further attention than others.

Too bad the "feminist" term became such a bad word in some circles, it kinda throws away the value of what the movement accomplished in the past, though I'm always against extremists of any inclination.

But by lack of sleep I digress.

clairedelune said:
They don't need to change the way games are or mess with the masculinity of them by making them more female friendly.
I question only what masculinity stands for nowadays. Most of what gets labeled manly to begin with just strikes me as deeply immature. Videogames not being the exception.

Possibly the female friendly aspect would come more naturally as a set within a larger evolution of gameplay expression as a whole.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
When every male game character looks like Steve Urkel, fires a gun like with a high-pitched yelp every time, and spends several cut scenes crying about how he "just wants to go home"
Then I'll agree that women don't need big boobs in games.

Until that day comes, give me the jiggly boobs, guys with square jaws and professional wrestler bodies, and over the top bad assery.
Thats what I consider "entertainment".

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
DracoSuave said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
I find it hard to take you seriously, what with your Username and Avatar photo.

Boom headshot indeed.

...irony is a harsh mistress...

ZeroDotZero said:
Archetypal_Maniac said:
Hang on, you kill Skags to get pictures of hot women? What version of Borderlands are you playing (or am I playing for that matter)?
The funny thing about obvious satire is when people respond to it as though he was playing it straight.
It would be ironic if I, say, actually told you something serious. Which I did not.

So...

Of course, I'm not asking for you to take me seriously anyway. It was a joke, but really. How can someone go "This guy is a serious guy" when you have the crazy boom headshot guy as your avatar. But I digress, you should not judge a book by its cover. No matter how stupid or not serious it is.

Mr.Governor

Nov 10, 2009
What do girls like?
So,what do girls like? making sandwiches? cooking? doing housework? buying groceries?
they dont make games for girls cuz THEY DONT HAVE ANY FUCKING IDEA WHAT YOU GIRLS LIKE.

Jazzyluv2

Nov 20, 2009
azurawolf said:
Wait a minute...
I am a girl and I love guns and cars and shit like that.
To think that girls don't like that stuff is being a little sexist. I am far from a feminist but saying that girls don't like those kind of games is a little.
I actually like games that allow me to shoot a zombie's head off better then a game with a talking unicorn.
nativity, it is not sexist making generalizations that are on the most part true. Your different, nothing wrong with that, but don't pull the sexist card out until you can prove that the majority of women buy mainstream games. Tip, they don't, so obviously your not the majority of women.

Bloody Crimson

Sep 3, 2009
I don't much care for all the "hot women" that are put there merely as selling points. That's insulting to me, and I'm a man! Not to generalize, but I really would hate to look at that as a woman.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Mr.Governor said:
What do girls like?
So,what do girls like? making sandwiches? cooking? doing housework? buying groceries?
they dont make games for girls cuz THEY DONT HAVE ANY FUCKING IDEA WHAT YOU GIRLS LIKE.
Actually I think those ARE what girls like...
They just make really crappy games MOST of the time.

However, I hear Cooking Mama and Farmville seem to be extremely popular amongst Moms and with women between the ages of 13-60.

flora

Nov 4, 2009
I really don't think it's asking that much to be able to play as a girl. It's not about what's marketed to what gender, because different people will invariably like different things. Hell, I'm sure plenty of you guys picked up Cooking Mama. The point is that there isn't enough representation, and if there is, she's a side character, and she's rarely used more more than mere titillation. Things are slowly getting better, but for every Left 4 Dead we get shit like Bayonetta.

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
TheSeventhLoneWolf said:
dreamtime said:
I think many female gamers just want games that have real female CHARACTERS, not just annoying bitches with oversized breasts, or naive lolitas...with oversized breasts.
And maybe some unicorns.
I wish they'd stop doing that and treat women as proper characters/people, and not something to look at.
Yes, this.

omega 616 said:
There has been an attempt made for girl gamers, nintendogs, fashion boutique and the EyePet for example.

In fact most of the games on the DS are for girls or children.
Not all women are permanently frozen at 14 years old. I own *none* of those titles and want nothing to do with them.

atol said:
So basically, game designers are being sexist when they don't have games that are directed towards females, and when they ask what a female would want in a game, they're being sexist.
I love it.
And how did you get that from Azurewolf's post? And I'd love a game designer to ask ME what women would like in a game. There is a world of difference between making a game for women based off of what men think would sell to them and actually making one based off of things they would like.

Feel free to read some "I love Marvel" titles if you want to see the kind of horror that can be created by people trying to target girls without buying a clue first. (i.e. stuff that NO ONE would want. Ever.)

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
dreamtime said:
I think many female gamers just want games that have real female CHARACTERS, not just annoying bitches with oversized breasts, or naive lolitas...with oversized breasts.
And maybe some unicorns.
too right good sir, this being speculation from a guy who has about 2% figured out teen aged females

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Mrsnugglesworth said:
DracoSuave said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
I find it hard to take you seriously, what with your Username and Avatar photo.

Boom headshot indeed.

...irony is a harsh mistress...

ZeroDotZero said:
Archetypal_Maniac said:
Hang on, you kill Skags to get pictures of hot women? What version of Borderlands are you playing (or am I playing for that matter)?
The funny thing about obvious satire is when people respond to it as though he was playing it straight.
It would be ironic if I, say, actually told you something serious. Which I did not.
That's a different sort of irony. Verbal irony rather than dramatic irony.

It's still irony.

So...

Of course, I'm not asking for you to take me seriously anyway. It was a joke, but really. How can someone go "This guy is a serious guy" when you have the crazy boom headshot guy as your avatar. But I digress, you should not judge a book by its cover. No matter how stupid or not serious it is.
On this I do agree totally.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
azurawolf said:
I actually like games that allow me to shoot a zombie's head off better then a game with a talking unicorn.
Same here. I'll take shooting a zombie's head off with a shotgun over a game with a unicorn any day of the week.

gxs

Apr 16, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
Bofus Teefus said:
Archetypal_Maniac said:
Borderlands: A sex filled shooter, where the player shoots skags to unlock pictures of HAWT GURLS.
L4D2: Pretty much me as a guy teaching women not to talk back yah.
I seem to have missed all the sex in Borderlands...so did the chicks I usually play it with. Also, at which point in L4D2, exactly, does anyone instruct Rochelle to, um, talk back? I'm glad we all have an internet in which we can post our opinions, but...I guess I just don't see where you're coming from.
The sarcasm went far, far over your head.
To write something which isn't true just to make a point in a topic someone creates isn't sarcasm in my book. I think that the previous poster makes a point. If there is even a hint of nudity or anything sexual in Borderlands I have completely missed it. Off course you have to exclude my brother looking at my characters a*s the whole time when we play in co-op. But that's just me charging into the gunfire. :)

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
flora said:
I really don't think it's asking that much to be able to play as a girl. It's not about what's marketed to what gender, because different people will invariably like different things. Hell, I'm sure plenty of you guys picked up Cooking Mama. The point is that there isn't enough representation, and if there is, she's a side character, and she's rarely used more more than mere titillation. Things are slowly getting better, but for every Left 4 Dead we get shit like Bayonetta.
This is where the arguement loses me. Why do you need to play as a girl? Because you are? I am a guy who is not 300 pounds of muscle. I don't know how to pilot a spaceship or plane. I don't run around blasting aliens in power armor. I don't wear 100 pounds of metal armor and run around fighting goblins with a 2 handed axe. So why isn't the industry doing a better job of representing me? I think they are discriminating against the average Joe as well. Every game should star an average person who works 9 - 5 to feed thier family.