Can a guy gamer get a say in this bull?

dreamtime

Jan 10, 2009
TheSeventhLoneWolf said:
dreamtime said:
I think many female gamers just want games that have real female CHARACTERS, not just annoying bitches with oversized breasts, or naive lolitas...with oversized breasts.
And maybe some unicorns.
I wish they'd stop doing that and treat women as proper characters/people, and not something to look at.
Yeah, me too. Not that I'm much of an equal rights-fighter, but as someone who sees great potential in the videogame-medium it kind of annoys me that many games are so primitive when it comes to things like narrative and female characters. Videogames have to move forward, they can be so much more than entertainment.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Well I suppose games are much like any other form of media aimed at men. Take the magazines, a bit of sport, a few fast cars, a few other bits and pieces and a dash of scantily clad lady. It's pretty much the same in the games industry. Yeah the boobs aren't every where but they are another aspect of a media aimed at men.
As for what girls want, I doubt the majority of us really want games about dressing up ponies, and planning weddings, like some companies seem to think.
As for the portrayal of women, I'm not really concerned either way, since neither the naive lolita type nor the super cocky warrior type are any less realistic than the male characters really.

mechabrae

Nov 29, 2008
It's interesting that the games you pick that don't use sex in their advertising are all quite graphic in their depiction of violence, which would be the other thing that marketing departments use to get boys to buy games.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
What about wicked games like super monkey ball and stuff? I figure they're gender neutral. Also in the case of super monkey ball, it may not be as super ultra hardcore gore kill everything as something like gears of war, but I find it FAR more fun and WAYYYYYYYYY harder.

ballin'

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
There has been an attempt made for girl gamers, nintendogs, fashion boutique and the EyePet for example.

In fact most of the games on the DS are for girls or children.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Archetypal_Maniac said:
Recently, as in the past year Iv'e come across so many articles that amplify the fact that:
Games are designed for MEN! Games are marketed to MEN! Theres no games aimed at girls! Now wait just a minute, aimed at girls? What the hell does a girl want in a game? Guys like guns and cars and sports, games about guns, cars and sports sell well. What do girls like? Exactly, these articles state that girls are pretty much ignored, but I have yet to see one of them put forward an idea that they would like to see in game form.

The people who make games are genuinly interested in building games, and the majority are men. Why should they take 4 years of their life, a sack of cash and their companies credibility to go out of their way and produce a game they are not INTERESTED in?

The thing that ticks me off the most is this marketing bullshit, games are marketed to men with use of SEXY GIRLS! BULLSHIT! I call bullshit on that, I don't know who thought this up, the huge population of male gamers are just gamers to get a cheap thrill! Which I think is strange, check out MW2, selling like hot cakes not a boob in sight. Bunch of pervs we are eh guys? Let's check out my current games:

Borderlands: A sex filled shooter, where the player shoots skags to unlock pictures of HAWT GURLS.

Dragon Age: Origins: An RPG where killing dragons allows us to dominate girls! And make them cook us dinner too!

CS:S Zombie mod: FWAAAR CHECK OUT TEH BEWBS ON THOSE DEAD GURLZ.

L4D2: Pretty much me as a guy teaching women not to talk back yah.

Heres the inside scoop, boobs, great love em, make me smile whatever, but, and you might wanna strap yourself in for this one, I didn't spend 2 fucking grand on a gaming PC to get kicks out of jiggly wiggly boobies ok? So stop sticking this god damn label on my head that I am sort of friggin sexist, pervo because I bought a game that has a vuluptuous female character in it, it's offensive, more offensive than the girls in the games. That's not to say all games are innocent, that's just to say I, and many others like me are not guilty. If you lasses are truly into your games, then get building and show us immature boys how it's done.
Sir...

I am totally gay for you now.

clairedelune

Oct 9, 2006
I don't think girls want games with ponies and prom dresses and shopping, I just think we want the option to have a female character, assuming it doesn't screw with the story line of the game. That's really all I want in games. I like guns and games and cars too. I can't rationalize why I want to use a female character either, I guess it's just more comfortable for me.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
dreamtime said:
I think many female gamers just want games that have real female CHARACTERS, not just annoying bitches with oversized breasts, or naive lolitas...with oversized breasts.
And maybe some unicorns.
Right because the market is so full of Male lead characters that are real and never have biceps the size of thier heads and big chests. The problem isn't male or female. It is the writers who think giving the characters a witty one liner makes them fully developed. And that is even if they get to say a sentence in the first place.

The only people who the industry fairly represents is amnesiac orphans who are forced to make thier own clothes with random pieces of fabric they pull from dumpsters because they spend all thier money on hair gel.

Chess__x

Aug 4, 2009
Aside from all the other things people have been arguing/talking about in here, the first thing that came to my mind is simply that there are LOADS of games aimed at girls. Pretty much everything Nintendo have to offer these days is aimed at girls - they even have Girls Aloud and Beyonce advertising the consoles!

& personally (as a female), I'd hate to see proper games (no, I don't count most of Nintendo's games as 'proper' games any more) made more 'female-friendly' e.g. having female protagonists or having less objectification of women, cause frankly I don't care. I also have to agree that for the most part, I don't even see games being marketed in this way.

I do think you make some daft statements such as saying what men and women like, because people are all very different. But over all I agree, it's a silly debate, I don't hear any proper female gamers complaining about the representation of women and Nintendo have taken care of the females who want to play videogames but aren't proper gamers.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
AC10 said:
What about wicked games like super monkey ball and stuff? I figure they're gender neutral. Also in the case of super monkey ball, it may not be as super ultra hardcore gore kill everything as something like gears of war, but I find it FAR more fun and WAYYYYYYYYY harder.

ballin'
OMG THAT GAME IS THE SHIT

uh, i felt weird typing all those words together

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
clairedelune said:
I don't think girls want games with ponies and prom dresses and shopping
The problem is people that make the games think that's what they want. The sooner they realize that isn't the case the better.

UltimateZ

Nov 19, 2009
Archetypal_Maniac said:
Which I think is strange, check out MW2, selling like hot cakes not a boob in sight.
Well, MW2 DOES have a blow-up doll in it... coincidence?

atol

Jan 16, 2009
azurawolf said:
Wait a minute...
I am a girl and I love guns and cars and shit like that.
To think that girls don't like that stuff is being a little sexist. I am far from a feminist but saying that girls don't like those kind of games is a little.
I actually like games that allow me to shoot a zombie's head off better then a game with a talking unicorn.
So basically, game designers are being sexist when they don't have games that are directed towards females, and when they ask what a female would want in a game, they're being sexist.
I love it.

clairedelune

Oct 9, 2006
atol said:
azurawolf said:
Wait a minute...
I am a girl and I love guns and cars and shit like that.
To think that girls don't like that stuff is being a little sexist. I am far from a feminist but saying that girls don't like those kind of games is a little.
I actually like games that allow me to shoot a zombie's head off better then a game with a talking unicorn.
So basically, game designers are being sexist when they don't have games that are directed towards females, and when they ask what a female would want in a game, they're being sexist.
I love it.
I think she's just responding to the OP, she didn't say it's sexist for games to not be directed towards females.

Bofus Teefus

Jan 29, 2009
Archetypal_Maniac said:
Borderlands: A sex filled shooter, where the player shoots skags to unlock pictures of HAWT GURLS.
L4D2: Pretty much me as a guy teaching women not to talk back yah.
I seem to have missed all the sex in Borderlands...so did the chicks I usually play it with. Also, at which point in L4D2, exactly, does anyone instruct Rochelle to, um, talk back? I'm glad we all have an internet in which we can post our opinions, but...I guess I just don't see where you're coming from.
........more offensive than the girls in the games.
What do you mean?

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Mrsnugglesworth said:
I find it hard to take you seriously, what with your Username and Avatar photo.

Boom headshot indeed.

...irony is a harsh mistress...

ZeroDotZero said:
Archetypal_Maniac said:
Hang on, you kill Skags to get pictures of hot women? What version of Borderlands are you playing (or am I playing for that matter)?
The funny thing about obvious satire is when people respond to it as though he was playing it straight.

clairedelune

Oct 9, 2006
squid5580 said:
dreamtime said:
And maybe some unicorns.
Right because the market is so full of Male lead characters that are real and never have biceps the size of thier heads and big chests. The problem isn't male or female. It is the writers who think giving the characters a witty one liner makes them fully developed. And that is even if they get to say a sentence in the first place.

The only people who the industry fairly represents is amnesiac orphans who are forced to make thier own clothes with random pieces of fabric they pull from dumpsters because they spend all thier money on hair gel.
I agree with you to an extent, that the male protagonists are usually under that "ideal" type character model, but there is truth in the majority of the time female characters are only put in to be sexy and usually have little other purpose.

Though, for some reason that doesn't bother me, and neither does the lack of clothing most female NPCs tend to have. However, it should be noted that the gaming population is and has been evolving to include increasing amounts of female players, so there will definitely be charges of sexism in the name of being raving feminists. I think the cries that the gaming industry shouldn't try to cater to a female playerbase because it's too small is becoming a void argument. They don't need to change the way games are or mess with the masculinity of them by making them more female friendly. But I really don't see the harm in making a female character a playable option in more games, because if you don't choose the female then the game doesn't change you at all and it would have no affect on you, but it adds a nice option for women. That's just my thoughts on it though.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Well I do think there's a lot of stupidity in the whole "games are sexist" movement, but to be honest I'm not sure any of your points are really valid reasons why...