Can expansions earn Game of the Year awards?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Last year, Cyberpunk 2077's Phantom Liberty expansion earned a lot of praise, and it found itself being nominated for more than a few 2023 awards, which garnered quite a bit of attention and criticism.

This year, Elden Ring's Shadow of the Erdtree is likely to find itself in a very similar situation.

But do expansions deserve to be nominated against full games?

On the face of it, I would probably say no. But thinking about it, back during the 7th generation, there were loads of examples of games that were released, that were largely built on the same technology as the game that came before it. The Mass Effect trilogy, Gears of War 1 - Judgement. Assassin's Creed 1 - Revelations. Halo 3 and ODST. All of these games were iterations on what came before, compared to these days where there is some kind of pressure that every game needs to be a massive leap from what came before it, and so development cycles have become massively protracted because of it.

But comparing something like Shadow of the Erdtree or Phantom Liberty to something like Halo 3 ODST or Assassin's Creed Revelations - is there really a massive difference in terms of scope? I would argue maybe not.

I think that with development times getting longer and longer, we might be seeing a lot more of these large-scale expansions, and the industry is going to have to get comfortable with the expectation that these games might be showing up in Game of the Year lists.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I figure to be named 'Game of the Year', one of the major qualifiers is that it must be a game that one can play on its own/exits in a vacuum. Irrespective of their quality - and both expansion packs have it in spades by all accounts - they are effectively a bolt-on to a game that already exists and cannot be accessed without them.

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
An expansion/dlc that is designed as such is just that, regardless of scope. It could certainly win best game for that category, but there should probably be stipulations that other categories either will only apply to stand-alone games, or can include expansions. But where the line is drawn can get murkier than a Miyazaki swamp level.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I don't see why they shouldn't get an equal chance to win as long as they pay an equal amount of money to the proper people.