Can i play MGS 5 if i haven't played any of the previous ones?

Shirastro

Sep 1, 2010
Well the title says it all.
Do you think it's a smart thing to buy MGS5 if the only thing i ever played was the original MGS like 20 years ago and don't remember anything?
I know MSg is very story based but can i enjoy the latest one without previous experience with the franchise?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Absolutely. It's a fantastic game you shouldn't miss out on. MGS5 is a pretty big departure from the previous games both in gameplay/world-design and storytelling. It's also incredibly well made. Don't let unfamiliarity with the (convoluted) storyline keep you from playing it. :p

Story can still be enjoyed in it's own right as it isn't really the 10+ hours fanservice MGS4 was, but there are some pretty good video series on youtube to get you up to snuff on the Metal Gear lore, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqU3_cfWaeY2DT7imScZKA3_PZJHRfdzy

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I suggest not, because it is a really good feel when you play the games in release order and experience how the gameplay changes and adapts in each sequel.

It's a very natural progression going into each game referencing/foreshadowing things to come and there is going to be a lot of references and call backs that you won't understand if you are going to go into MGS5.

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
I suggest picking up the MGS HD Collection to play MS3 and Peace Walker, then renting Ground Zeroes.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
stroopwafel said:
Absolutely. It's a fantastic game you shouldn't miss out on. MGS5 is a pretty big departure from the previous games both in gameplay/world-design and storytelling. It's also incredibly well made. Don't let unfamiliarity with the (convoluted) storyline keep you from playing it. :p

Story can still be enjoyed in it's own right as it isn't really the 10+ hours fanservice MGS4 was, but there are some pretty good video series on youtube to get you up to snuff on the Metal Gear lore, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqU3_cfWaeY2DT7imScZKA3_PZJHRfdzy
Hey man, just wanna say thanks for posting this. I really want to get Phantom Pain too and this was really useful as a crash course :)

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
It's not a great jumping on point in the series. There's a lot of lore from previous instalments.

I'd recommend playing the first 4 main titles beforehand, not just for the lore but because they're fantastic timeless games.

Metal Gear Solid 3 still makes my top 10.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
I've never played any Metal Gear game and I haven't gotten MGSV but from what I've heard from a few trusted sources the answer is absolutely you can, but you might miss out a few things and or get a little bit lost sometimes, even though to be fair, the whole series has kind of a confusing plot

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Yes, you can certainly play Phantom Pain without playing any other entry. The game works as a standalone narrative. I would recommend playing Peace Walker, however, since Phantom Pain is a direct continuation.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
No. It litterally destroys itself in the console as a precaution if you even try!

Seriously though... it is certainly playable.. It's a bit like the Riddick films. All are good standalone, but you have a more rounded experience when you have played them all.

I would play the old ones at some point though... They are rather fun! Especially 3... that's my favourite.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
LeathermanKick25 said:
TelHybrid said:
It's not a great jumping on point in the series. There's a lot of lore from previous instalments.

I'd recommend playing the first 4 main titles beforehand, not just for the lore but because they're fantastic timeless games.

Timeless? I love the series too. MGS1 is beyond dated at this point. It was a great game in it's time but it's probably one of the worst starting points now.

Even 3 with the HD collection with the freecam is still pretty dated.
Hmm I still wouldn't jump onto a lore heavy franchise like MGS at the fifth instalment.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
And I still don't know why people jump into games 4,5 or 6 games in. Multiplayer? fair enough. But for single-player it seems like they are jumping on the bandwagon or playing it for "teh gameplay" in which case you're better off playing some random MMO - I suppose I cannot complain, MGS 5 is more or less an MMO.

At least AAA publiser are somewhat right to be cynical of conusmers.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
LeathermanKick25 said:
TelHybrid said:
LeathermanKick25 said:
TelHybrid said:

Timeless? I love the series too. MGS1 is beyond dated at this point. It was a great game in it's time but it's probably one of the worst starting points now.

Even 3 with the HD collection with the freecam is still pretty dated.
Hmm I still wouldn't jump onto a lore heavy franchise like MGS at the fifth instalment.
I'd definitely play 2 onwards, but it's still pretty jarring gameplay wise. If I didn't get into MGS2 back in like 2007 I'd probably of been screwed.
I still think 1 handles okay, but maybe it's nostalgia goggles. Who knows?

MGS The Twin Snakes is a decent remake of the original. Just a shame it's Gamecube exclusive and damn expensive.