Can someone explain just what happened in the ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion?

ameemo

Apr 16, 2011
I just have one question for the people that watched the episodes and the End of Eva movie.
WTH were both endings supposed to mean? the ending(ep. 26) of the series and the ending of the movie End of Eva were twisted if you ask me, i just could not understand what was going on. An awesome series though, i loved every bit of it. Some people say that shinji was a cry baby but i think they should have looked at the psychological trauma the 14 year old was going through.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
I'm convinced it's just a bunch of playing around with nonsense, it's more about the aesthetic of trying to be deep and meaningful instead of actually being deep and meaningful. A slap in the face from the writer and director to everyone who watched that series in its entirety, and a warning for the rest of us.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I've only watched the series not the movies, but basically they ran out of money towards the end and had to "improvise"

I believe the devs hated the ending themselves

Plus this is Gainex we're taking about here, this is nothing compared to PSG's ending...

Azarhac

Oct 30, 2010
The last episodes of the original anime, fucking simple. The weird unifitication of humanity mysteriously had happened and that's that, Shinji beat his "demons" and I assumed lived a relatively happy and endless life as did the rest of humanity (endless that is)

Also, they ran out of cash per se as you must have known.

Dec 14, 2009
Well, from what I can gather, the studio ran out of money towards the end of the series, so that explains why the last 2 episodes are so... weird.

Also, the last 2 episodes take place in Shinji's mind, while EOE shows what is happening in the world as this takes place.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You should probably just check Wikipedia for the nitty gritty details, but there isn't really a definitive answer. IMO, in a nutshel, everybody is dead except form Shinji and Asuka. What happens from then on out is anybody's guess.

A great show with a lot of room to ponder. I love it.

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
Azarhac said:
The last episodes of the original anime, fucking simple. The weird unifitication of humanity mysteriously had happened and that's that, Shinji beat his "demons" and I assumed lived a relatively happy and endless life as did the rest of humanity (endless that is)

Also, they ran out of cash per se as you must have known.
This pretty much, Shinji finds his own reason to exist and beats his demons that kept him shut off from human contact. Kinda symbolically represented by the assimilation of the world, it represented his finally opening up to everyone. That's how I saw it anyway.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
note to OP: the ending of neon genesis is the poster child for endings that make no sense.

NOBODY knows what happened. not even the writers. they ran out of funding, so as far as i can tell they figured what they had wouldnt make all that much sense..so they rolled with it and made it as confusing as possible.

hypermage

Feb 13, 2010
Rocks fall everyone dies, Freudianism ensues.

The serious (pretentious) answer is that, as befits a series with a heavy emphasis on personal interpretation, the only meaning to the endings is whatever meaning you choose to impose on them and asking for other people's interpretations is missing the point.

The cynical answer? They ran out of money, as old Gainax was wont to do, and winged it. When they got the money to do it properly they decided to wipe the slate clean on the characters and setting in the most violently epic way possible.

My take is a mashup of the above with some conjecture on both Hideaki Anno's personal issues and Gainax's views on 90s otaku culture added for spice.