Can someone please explain to me why PC gamers and Console gamers can't get along?

ShotgunZombie

Dec 20, 2009
This is just something that has always bothered me... No, that's not right, it doesn't bother me it pisses me off. Here we have two sects of the community that love nothing more than taking cheap pot-shots at each other. It seems that every other comment I read regarding gaming has PC gamers bashing the Console gamers and vice versa. It's both infuriating and embarrassing.
I understand why certain people will prefer one platform over another, hell I can even sympathize and respect the decisions that lead to that preference.
A console is more user friendly; put in disc, download latest patch or whatever, play and enjoy.
A powerful PC can run a game more smoothly that not only looks better but may even play better. That along with Mods means that you may be able get a lot more mileage out of a game on a PC than on a console if its fanbase is strong enough.
Don't get the wrong idea though, both Consoles and PCs have strengths as well as problems; a perfect gaming platform doesn't exist... Yet.
So as gamers why can't we get along?

Cosmic Octopus

May 2, 2011
Any reasonable person can of course see that both sides have their benefits and so on, but one must inevitably choose which they just prefer. For the most part this really isn't a big for most people, but some get too invested in "their" thing, I think because it is more personal to them, and wherever you look in any matter of taste there's always going to be us and them; even within console gaming there's 360 fanboys and ps3 fanboys.

It's nothing particular to the gaming community.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Because PC gamers spend an assload of money on their rigs, only to have to the game industry cater to the more-profitable console market. Naturally, PC gamers are mad as hell and, naturally, blame console gamers for existing.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
Because "gamers", seem a tad on the entitled side. Therefore, they hate anyone that they perceive as diverting attention away from themselves.

Jerubbaal

Jul 22, 2011
ShotgunZombie said:
To compress a lot of things into one sentence: bad ports.

The different (and arguably dumbed down) experience that console players have is intruding more and more into the world of PC gaming. Features that we have come to expect in any game are missing, and it's usually obvious that console-centric design philosophy is the cause.

EDIT: Also, this-

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
I play both PC and Console. I don't post hate for either side..
Some people just have too much time on their hands.

Also, you know what they say about opinions....
internetzealot1 said:
Because PC gamers spend an assload of money on their rigs, only to have to the game industry cater to the more-profitable console market. Naturally, PC gamers are mad as hell and, naturally, blame console gamers for existing.
Edit: My sarcasm meter is broken...

Disturbed-Hell

Shas'la
Mar 18, 2010
Ok, this is going to turn into a flame war pretty quick, but the reason why they fight is probably because people tend to think of what they have as the best and inevitably fight with others about it. Plus, many people just like to fight about nothing (thou that should have been made clear with the crusades) and only those who are either unbiased or have the money to buy all the consoles and a PC wont biker about it.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
ShotgunZombie said:
This is just something that has always bothered me... No, that's not right, it doesn't bother me it pisses me off. Here we have two sects of the community that love nothing more than taking cheap pot-shots at each other. It seems that every other comment I read regarding gaming has PC gamers bashing the Console gamers and vice versa. It's both infuriating and embarrassing.
I understand why certain people will prefer one platform over another, hell I can even sympathize and respect the decisions that lead to that preference.
A console is more user friendly; put in disc, download latest patch or whatever, play and enjoy.
A powerful PC can run a game more smoothly that not only looks better but may even play better. That along with Mods means that you may be able get a lot more mileage out of a game on a PC than on a console if its fanbase is strong enough.
Don't get the wrong idea though, both Consoles and PCs have strengths as well as problems; a perfect gaming platform doesn't exist... Yet.
The answer to this question is pretty obvious. Both groups suffer from the exact same fatal flaw which prevents them from getting along. They are human beings. Seriously, when have human beings with differing opinions ever gotten along?

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I'm sorry, but if I spend £200 on a console or £500 on a PC I'm going to fight to the death if it means justifying my purchase. However I have both and am therefore a foolish consumer.

Damn I never get a break...

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I don't "hate" console gamers, that would be incredibly silly.

I happen to prefer PC gaming not for the power of the rig itself but for the mods I can make/get for a lot of games that I couldn't do with a console.

That doesn't make a console only gamer any less worthy.

It's all just a matter of choice.

Personally I have a bit of envy towards console gamers. They spend about £200 or less on a console and it can play any game that comes out with no issues (besides the bugs that game has) whereas I spent £1260 on my rig a bit back and then spent another £400 to upgrade my graphics a few months back.

PC gamers, if they want to keep up with thew tech, have to upgrade on a regular basis, make sure drivers are kept up to date so on and so forth whereas a console gamer just has to slap a disk in and relax.

Ozzythecat

Jul 12, 2010
Wow even in a thread only asking why we don't get along we already have finger pointing >_>

Well to be different HANDHELDS ARE BETTER THAN ALL YALL'S SHIT!

*cough*

For realsies though,

The main reason we can't get along I think is because of all the bitterness that the few loud extremists(read Console Elitists and PC Elitists) have caused over the years we take any appreciation of something different as an attack on what we prefer. Personally I started with consoles so I prefer them due familiarity, however I have started play a lot of PC games in the past year and have fallen in love with it for certain Games and styles of games.

Also I hope no one jumps on for using the world elitist in the same sentence as PC gamers. As with rectangles and squares all PC elitists are PC gamers, but not all PC gamers are eltists. But all Mac owners are eltists(I kid, I kid)

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Cronq said:
Anyone with the intelligence of a monkey and 2 thumbs can play a console. PC requires at least 6 fingers.
This here is a great example of why PC gamers have a bad name to me. I play both, but I tend to be favourable towards the console side because of this bullshit.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
Because people like me, who are PC gamers but are okay with the fact that consoles are awesome too are rare.

Feb 13, 2008
Can someone please explain to me why PC gamers and Console gamers can't get along?
They can.

It's just a few that spoil it for the rest of us. Usually those with an axe to grind or a product to sell.

Thamous

Sep 23, 2008
We do, the vocal minority however don't. Some people are simply too underdeveloped to understand that you don't have to hate and despise people who have different tastes and opinions. Then they feel the need to let everyone know about it.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
I use both, therefore I have ascended to an even greater level of Elitism...

OT: If you spend in excess of £1000 for an ultimate gaming rig, some people feel the need to justify the purchase both to themselves and other people. If you get a console, whilst it's considerably cheaper and convenient, you realise that if it's on the PC, the PC user may be getting the better experience. It's very silly and ultimately futile, but some people feel the need to express their opinions in this churlish way.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
This is another case of how only the people who have a negative outlook on the whole situation are a lot more verbal about it than those who aren't.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
We do get along, it's just idiots don't get along with other idiots very well, and idiots happen to be louder then the people just sitting around and enjoying themselves.