Can someone please explain to me why PC gamers and Console gamers can't get along?

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
lord.jeff said:
We do get along, it's just idiots don't get along with other idiots very well, and idiots happen to be louder then the people just sitting around and enjoying themselves.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Well, I can see the bad influence consoles have on PC gaming, but since I've owned both pretty much as far back as I can remember, the argument seems kind of moot to me.

ripdajacker

Code Monkey
Oct 25, 2009
I am a gamer of both. I am "white enough" (to use Yahtzees word for it) to have more than one console and a PC. I get the hate from PC gamers since the platform is being discarded somehow.

My PC cost three times as much as a PS3 does these days, and yes I am pissed when the game companies announce that title XYZ, which sometimes happens to be a part of a series I am a fan of, does not get a PC port. I then have to play the game on sometimes worse controls (if it's a FPS), with lower framerate and crappier graphics.

The PC ports often come long after the console game ships, some games are really crappy ports. The magnificent beast that is the PC is getting less games, and it's a shame because it's a much more powerful platform. I think my PC can outperform my Xbox and PS3 combined.

Zorpheus

Aug 19, 2009
What it basically comes down to is a few things:
1) Whatever people buy, they tend to get emotionally invested in. Whatever they don't have is automatically worse than what they do have, unless they have nothing.
2) People like feeling better than another group of people. See Racism, Sexism, religious persecution, etc.
3) Different gaming machines cater to different types of gamers, because they attract different genres. Naturally, if your favorite genre is Real-Time Strategy Games, you'll love PCs and hate consoles. If your favorite genre is fighting games, you'll love consoles and hate PCs.
4) Because the competitive nature of gaming itself causes some people to become over-confrontational about trivial things.
5) Because they're bored and need something to argue about.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Matthew94 said:
Because console gamers love to argue amongst themselves about which is better then a PC gamer mentions how PC hardware stomps over consoles and they get defensive and label them an elitest and naturally hate builds.

As it's been said both sides have benefits but I find console only gamers to be much worse than PC gamers.
Haha, I had a good LOL at this.

"Why can't PC gamers and Console gamers get along? Because console gamers are BASTARDS!"

Personally I game on both my laptop (BG2 y'all!) and on my 360 (Saints Row y'all!). So I have no bias at all. I've seen plenty of people from both camps whining about who is better. I mean, we're all nerds at the end of the day. Can't we get along?

MarkyJ

Apr 21, 2011
That's a bit of a generalisation, that all PC users and Console players hate each other. Sadly, there is a fair amount of hate. I can't tell whether it's the masses or just a vocal minority though.

I personally don't see why there's any hate at all.
I started playing consoles and then included PC games when I got a computer which (at the time) had enough grunt to run them. I currently have an xbox 360, I'm soon going to be upgrading my computer to handle modern games and my friend has a PS3. As other people have said before with their own chosen platforms, I like all of them so I don't get why people start flame wars over the issue of differing platforms or even feel the need to confine themselves to one platform.

Hell, the only platform I have no love for is the Wii but if that's your thing then go right ahead. It seems silly to me to hate just because someone likes another platform better.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Matthew94 said:
gallaetha_matt said:
Matthew94 said:
Because console gamers love to argue amongst themselves about which is better then a PC gamer mentions how PC hardware stomps over consoles and they get defensive and label them an elitest and naturally hate builds.

As it's been said both sides have benefits but I find console only gamers to be much worse than PC gamers.
Haha, I had a good LOL at this.

"Why can't PC gamers and Console gamers get along? Because console gamers are BASTARDS!"

Personally I game on both my laptop (BG2 y'all!) and on my 360 (Saints Row y'all!). So I have no bias at all. I've seen plenty of people from both camps whining about who is better. I mean, we're all nerds at the end of the day. Can't we get along?
I game on consoles and PC so do I have no bias now? Either my post was right and I am unbiased or your logic is flawed, win win for me.

And I do have a point, generally when you see people spewing BS it's generally a console gamer. One look at N4G will back up my point.
Sorry, wasn't trying to insult you or anything. I just thought it was funny how one of the first posts in a thread called "Can someone explain to me why PC gamers and console gamers can't get along?" is from somebody who says that it's all the console gamers fault.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
In my personal opinion, this is left over from the days when we could only have one system as kids. i mean, most of our parents didn't understand why we needed both a SNES and a Genesis. so when we went to school and found out that our friends were on the side of Sega and not Nintendo, we had to fight to the death to prove that our system was better. "Mario could kick Sonic's ass!" "Nuh uhh!" and so on and so forth. the biggest difference in the gaming industry was that there were practically NO cross platform games. even ones that did bridge the gap were amazingly different. I.E. Aladdin (you know what i'm talking about). that made each system unique in the sense of it's library was the ammunition for the better way of gaming.

today, almost all games come out for more than one system, if not all of them. OK sure the Wii is a bit of an exception, but any game that comes out on the 360 can easily come out on the PS3 and PC, and the same goes in any other direction. i will admit that some games work better with a mouse and some really do work better with some sort of controller, but they are all playable no matter the platform. the elitism that is shown in today's world astounds me to no end. no longer are we arguing what games a better, but which one LOOKS better, no matter how horrendous the game may actually be. the gaming libraries are no longer a valid point among gamers and we must now revert to the hardware to try and prove a point.

i think it all boils down to justification. most people only feel like getting one system capable of playing games and rather than try to actually have fun with the system and not caring about what others think, its all about being right in your decision of what system you bought. if you got a 360 but someone doesn't think that the 360 is a good system, people let it take away from their own experience.

the question here is not "are we able" to live together, but are we secure enough in ourselves as gamers to allow such a thing to happen.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
I think I can sum my opinion on this up in one picture.

I mean I personally use both a PC and a console so I guess I'm just the wild card in all this what with my not giving a fuck.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Well, to start off with, it's not a case of most. What you see as the incessant fighting is typically a very small portion on either side being loud and thinking they speak for everyone. Most gamers on either side really don't give a damn and use one, another, or both and accept it.

As for why does this minority does so, it's a superiority complex on both sides. Regardless of the side, they see themselves as some great decider, deciding that their opinion and theirs alone is the most important thing in the world and anyone that disagrees is inherently wrong. The problem is that they don't realize that their opinion on the matter in the grand scheme of things, means squat.

Either that or they realize they are an unimportant twat and use it to prop themselves up to some level of self importance. Either way, the result is the same.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Most people actually don't care. Many of us joke about the PC Gaming Master Race being superior in every way to the unwashed console peasantry but its meant as a joke. Some people just take it too personal/far.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
The most peaceful and viable solution to inter gamer conflict is obviously for everybody involved to immediately stop giving a fuck about bullshit.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Because PC gamers are just better than console ones? http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/12/30/233249/PC-Gamers-Crush-Console-Brethren

Hehe, jk. I just don't see a reason to play on a console, maybe Katamari comes close and will need to go to a friends hose at some point to play Heavy Rain. But i like my PC setup better and use kb+mouse for around 3/4 of my games.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
because both sides have idiots who think they are better then the other thankfully I stay away from them and enjoy playing both as they both have there ups and downs.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
ShotgunZombie said:
This is just something that has always bothered me... No, that's not right, it doesn't bother me it pisses me off. Here we have two sects of the community that love nothing more than taking cheap pot-shots at each other. It seems that every other comment I read regarding gaming has PC gamers bashing the Console gamers and vice versa. It's both infuriating and embarrassing.
I understand why certain people will prefer one platform over another, hell I can even sympathize and respect the decisions that lead to that preference.
A console is more user friendly; put in disc, download latest patch or whatever, play and enjoy.
A powerful PC can run a game more smoothly that not only looks better but may even play better. That along with Mods means that you may be able get a lot more mileage out of a game on a PC than on a console if its fanbase is strong enough.
Don't get the wrong idea though, both Consoles and PCs have strengths as well as problems; a perfect gaming platform doesn't exist... Yet.
So as gamers why can't we get along?
'I' am part of 'us', therefore how 'we' are seen reflects how 'I' am seen, since 'they' aren't 'us' they must therefore be bad. Whatever good they have is irrelevant to their group, whatever good 'we' have is because 'we' are in the right group. So clearly 'they' are stupid for their choice.

Hope that cleared it up a bit. =]

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
I agree with the OP, it's silly.
At its most basic, I think it comes from the primal human desire to fight or defend against the "other", whatever that "other" might be. Skin color, culture, country of origin, socioeconomic status and religion, among many other things, have served as popular "others" throughout history, but as our level of sophistication and integration grows such primitive divisions become blurred or socially unacceptable, so we have to create new ones. Which piece of plastic and circuitry you prefer, and the label of "Console" and "PC" gamer, is yet another division people create for no other reason than to fight about it.

This is why I prefer to identify myself as a simple "gamer", rather than a PC/Console/Specific Console gamer (although I do have a bit of a reputation as the "Nintendo guy" in my circle)
To paraphrase Tycho (of Penny Arcade fame), I "just like games", and the notion of being separated from any segment of gaming possibilities because of some artificial label I've applied to myself in some meaningless show of platform loyalty is silly at best, maybe even a little repugnant.
If I could, I'd own every console (EVERY.) and a pimped-out PC rig. Alas, I haven't the means.