Can someone recommend me an anime?

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
how about this: don't waste your time. not only does anime take you down a dark, lonely path of only having otaku's for friends, but you could also be watching justice league unlimited instead. at least JLU is good.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Well . . . I was going to recommend Samuri Champloo . . . it's a great anime . . but the female protagonist is 15 . . . she never has sex though and there's no nudity.

But one that certainly isn't creepy is full metal alchemist . . . and full metal alchemist: brotherhood.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Black Lagoon is short, it has 12 episodes (another season if you liked it with 12 more). It's great if you feel like having a Tarantino experience.
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is short, 11 episodes, and it's damn beautiful. No Ninja Space pirates here, just plain old people trying to live in the aftermath of a 8.0 magnitude earthquake in Tokyo city.
Spice and Wold - 12 episodes per season (counting two, I can't remember). Great fantasy setting, it's a breath of fresh air compared to Ninja Space pirates.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
tobi the good boy said:
Deadman wonderland, Relatively new. Very dark. Great casting, Adore it.
But compared to the manga it's like Elfen Lied, they cut out characters and plot lines because they're making it while the manga is still moving (Also like FMA).
It's a shame because they cut many future scenes in the manga that I adored. But I still recommend it because it has a solid ( and very interesting) premise.

nomad240

Aug 13, 2008
Black Lagoon 2 seasons out a third in the works.

or Those who hunt elves.. it's hilarious.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Wyatt118 said:
That doesn't make me feel like a creep or pervert? (preferably a short anime.)

Edit: Seen most of Cowboy Bebop, and parts of Ghost in the shell. Both were very enjoyable.
Busou Renkin. 26 episodes.
that's my recommendation for a short anime. It's one of my favorite anime period, but it's also reasonably short.

nomad240

Aug 13, 2008
mega48man said:
how about this: don't waste your time. not only does anime take you down a dark, lonely path of only having otaku's for friends, but you could also be watching justice league unlimited instead. at least JLU is good.
hold on.. I watch anime.. and i hang out with friends only one of which is starting to get into anime... and I still watch the JLU? and batman the animated series? as well as read both styles of comics?

my question to you.... good sir.... why do you hate the anime/ manga scene?

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
Full metal alchemist brotherhood is great, as its just full metal alchemist with all the filler taken out making it possible to watch it all,
Try some movies like akira or Tekkonkreet which are beautiful and suitably awesome
Everybodys kinda mentioned everything else so happy watching

Servallier

Jun 17, 2011
~deep breath~

Hellsing: best vampires ever, period. Both the sub and the dub of both of the series' are near enough perfect in the way they deliver their lines, the main character is possibly a god-mode stu, but he pulls it off in a way that's both believable and amazingly entertaining.

Black Butler: Victorian England with a kit with what is essentially satan as his butler. Just as badass as Mr Alucard from Hellsing. Little bit creepy at certain points, and the kid who's butler it is seems to get kidnapped twice a week, but well worth a watch.

Claymore: Superpowered girls with enormous swords, what more could you possibly want. It also delivers a fantastic and complex storyline.

Trigun: Another fantastic story, with lots of violence and some -very- cool guns. (see also, the Cross Punisher)

Fruits Basket: A little different from the others, more romantic than anything else, but the characters are engaging and the storyline is fantastic.

Ouran High School Host Club: as above

Air Gear: One of the few anime that i've actually got most of the manga for, great series with a good balance of humour and grittiness.

Black Lagoon: Mature series about modern-day pirates/smugglers, good amount of humour, plenty of drama, and a LOT of violence. If you want to avoid creepy there's a few episodes in the second barrage that you may want to steer clear of (those bloody twins... ~shudder~), but other than that, it's fantastic, and the third season is in the works at the moment. Also... Revy.

Escaflowne: Medieval Mecha anime, the first serious anime I ever watched. It's a pretty old one, and it shows it's age, but it's still really good.

Death Note, Gurrenn Lagann, some series' of Gundam, Bleach (although that's a hella epic) and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya are also all worth a look.

enjoy

Gorobrin

Mar 16, 2011
Fairy Tail is a good anime. It has action and comedy. although it is slightly childish. look it up though if you're interested.

Polite Sage

Feb 22, 2011
Escapist has surpirsingly good taste (for the most part).

Well, my more obscure recommendations for shorter anime series' are:

Eve no Jikan (6 episodes)
In the not too distant future androids have come into common usage. Taking the androids for granted, humans treat them as if they were common everyday tools, while on the other hand, some people empathize with androids due to their human-like appearance (save for a digital ring floating above their heads). This has become a social problem and these people are frowned upon as a result. Rikuo, one who has taken androids for granted for his entire life, one day discovers that Sammy, his home android, has been acting strangely and finds a strange phrase recorded in her activity log. He, along with his friend Masaki, traces Sammy's footsteps and come upon an unusual cafe. This cafe's main rule is to not discriminate between humans and androids.<youtube=SJVwe5q8CZg>
Denpa Teki na Kanojo (2 (out of 3 propable) episodes out)
Juuzawa Juu is a delinquent high school boy who just wants to be left alone. One day, he is approached by Ochibana Ame, who claims that she knew him in a previous life, and now wants to serve him as his "knight". At first Juu wants nothing to do with Ame, but after a classmate is murdered, he accepts her help as he looks for the killer.<youtube=CWb042fFCPA>
Higashi no Eden (11 episodes)
On November 22, 2010 ten missiles strike Japan. However, this unprecedented terrorist act, later to be called as "Careless Monday," does not result in any apparent victims, and is soon forgotten by almost everyone. Then, 3 months later... Saki Morimi is a young woman currently in the United States of America on her graduation trip. But just when she is in front of the White House, Washington DC, she gets into trouble, and only the unexpected intervention of one of her fellow countrymen saves her. However, this man, who introduces himself as Akira Takizawa, is a complete mystery. He appears to have lost his memory. and he is stark naked, except for the gun he holds in one hand, and the mobile phone he's holding with the other hand. A phone that is charged with 8,200,000,000 yen in digital cash. <youtube=-kI9nOF7TNQ>
Descriptions copy pastad from ANN

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
nomad240 said:
mega48man said:
hold on.. I watch anime.. and i hang out with friends only one of which is starting to get into anime... and I still watch the JLU? and batman the animated series? as well as read both styles of comics?

my question to you.... good sir.... why do you hate the anime/ manga scene?
long story, but an interesting one if you're into drama;
because in my experience, anime turns kids into socially awkward otakus who've never seen american classics like old yeller or gone with the wind, yet they think they have every right to scream and shout at you as they try to make you watch deathnote, or some other boring shit about japanese kids with demon powers. but this is only what i observe from the kids at the high school i just graduated from, i hope i'm just seeing the worst of what anime can do.

i used to be reeeally into anime, in middle school. permanently ruined my life. i was branded a narutard which stuck until i went to a different school. in that time in middle school, i was bullied every day and i never knew why, it wasn't until i was older that i realized just how retarded anime was. but somehow, out of that hell, came a pretty girl who also liked anime. she was nice, kind, and she liked me. i came back to the school where all the kids who branded me were, but now i had changed myself; no more weird things. that means no anime, now talking weird, no nothing, do what everyone else was doing. it actually worked out pretty good, i was a much different person. later, i finally asked out that girl, and we had an amazing time together. however, anime got in the way of our relationship a few times. spend halloween at my house or go to youmacon? she went to youmacon, and i sat on my couch with a handful of unwatched scary movies. but regardless, she made me forget about all the bad things around me because it meant so much to me that she loved me. back in january, she dumped me, on finals week. i was so broken i couldn't focus on half my finals and flunked my pre-calc exam. it got much worse from there; i began to alienate my friends, developed a drinking habit, bullies came back, my parents are so involved in this ongoing horrible drama on my moms side they begin to pay less attention to me, i cut myself a couple times because i couldn't deal with the fact that i knew everything was happening because it was my fault, it was bad, really bad. last summer was the greatest summer of my life, this summer is going to be the worst summer of my life.

so my point is that anime is like a mafia; if you try to leave it, it'll fuck up your life. once you're in too deep, there's no way out.