Can there be a gay character in a children's show?

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
JediMB said:
somonels said:
TheDarkEricDraven said:
somonels said:
Why and how exactly are you putting sex in a kid's show?
Oh, by the gods. Its not sex! Just because two charecters would be lesbians doesn't mean they would start scissoring every return from a comercial break. I am so tired of the "leave sex out of things" when a gay couple holds fucking hands.
It is about sex, that's why it's homosexuality
By that logic, Rarity having a crush on Prince Blueblood in MLP:FiM is all about sex, because it's heterosexuality.
Crushes are a part of growing up, they don't have much to do with sexuality. You perceiving it as sexual is your problem.
And no more mentions of MLP, I watched one episode (with the breeding flies business) and consider it as sickeningly girly schlock with above average story.

TheDarkEricDraven said:
"Whine whine whine, gays stole the word gay! Gays stole rainbows! Gays stole the color purple!"
Yes! Although I don't think homosexuals stole the word, some shitheads just started using this word to describe them. Keep the rainbows and unicorns but give the rest back. Including the demonic summoning circle, or something, you used for your movement.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
NO!

Because the only way writers and producers know how to incorperate a gay character in any movie or TV show is by making them go, "I'm gay, see how gay I am." And then that will be his shtick from that moment on.

There can be gay characters in a kids show, but the only reason they'll be in there is for the sake of having a token gay guy.

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
There already are. There are many, many, many, huge amounts of gay people in children's shows. Here's what you have to do to spot them:

1. Take a character that has never expressed any form of sexuality.
2. Imagine they have a gay lover.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Why should we be putting sexuality on children's shows, again? And I'm not talking about intimacy or relationships, because anyone can have an intimate relationship with the same sex, regardless of if they want to bone them.

There's no purpose to it except to indoctrinate and I'm against that.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Lazier Than Thou said:
There already are. There are many, many, many, huge amounts of gay people in children's shows. Here's what you have to do to spot them:

3. ???
4. Profit!

Why should we be putting sexuality on children's shows, again? And I'm not talking about intimacy or relationships, because anyone can have an intimate relationship with the same sex, regardless of if they want to bone them.

There's no purpose to it except to indoctrinate and I'm against that.
indoctrinate with what message, exactly?

one of the problems here is that sexuality is kinda hard to pin down. I mean, if someone has a crush on someone else, isn't that a part of sexuality? Brock is gushing over a girl in pretty much every episode of pokemon that he's in. of course it's probably a bad idea to fill a kids show with boobs, but to deny that the whole sexuality thing exists...

nerdsamwich

Feb 25, 2009
Captain_Fantastic said:
bert and ernie ...... problem solved
Bert and Ernie are puppets. They do not have a sexual orientation, being made of foam rubber. Reminds me of a similar situation with Spongebob, who is a goddamn sponge. Sponges don't have sexual differentiation, so how the hell could SB possibly be gay?

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
thaluikhain said:
There'd be the usual massive backlash from some people, and others would praise it as a good idea.

Of course, it should be allowed...you have straight couples plastered on everything, after all. But nobody would risk the controversy.
Look what happened in DA2. People didn't mind being hit on by heterosexuality, but when it comes to homosexuality? I DON'T WANT IT WAH WAH WHAT IS THIS HE HITS ON ME TOO MUCH I AM HOMOPHOBIC AND EXTREMELY INSECURE ABUT MAHSELF KALL DA WAMBULANCE'.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
I see no reason why not, why it would make a difference though is beyond me as I don't remember kids TV shows talking about what gender of character the characters like to put their winkies in...

No winky speak at all in my kids TV.

Ace2401

May 9, 2011
Lazier Than Thou said:

3. ???
4. Profit!
Haha, that's pretty much exactly what happened to Rainbow Dash. Her sexuality is very much in the air if you think about it. She could be, and has been portrayed as, everything from asexual to bisexual. And I don't think it really matters what she is, she's effing Rainbow Dash and that's that.

OT: My view on the whole sexuality in cartoons is that it probably shouldn't be blatantly shown or dealt with in shows for small children, but after that, anything is fair game as long as it's done tastefully and without stereotypes.

Ashendarei

Feb 10, 2009
Evill_Bob said:
No, what children shows really need is more dakka.
This, 100x!

Also, red paint!

Also, there's a children's show called "The Backyardigans" which I'm pretty sure has one of the characters who is gay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Backyardigans

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
How do you know some of your favourite child cartoon stars aren't gay?
Can you tell who is gay and who isn't by just looking at them? No.

Well... unless you look at them during sexual or romantic moments, but those often have no place in children shows, gay or straight.

VladBlok28

Dec 22, 2007
JediMB said:
Vakz said:
Honestly, matters to deal with sexuality really has no place in a kids life until he/she reaches puberty.
Then we'd best remove Ken from the Barbie franchise, since they're supposed to be a heterosexual couple or whatever.
No, because they don't have reproductive organs, there is no sexuality. Just "love" or whatever ( i never did understand girls' toys)

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
we cant even have m rated video games with gay characters, without fox news throwing a hissy fit. i think if we had openly gay characters in kids shows, fox news would dedicate a whole month to why its destroying america.

should we have openly gay characters in kids shows? sure, why not.
is the going to happen anytime soon? i dont think so

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
Floppertje said:
indoctrinate with what message, exactly?

one of the problems here is that sexuality is kinda hard to pin down. I mean, if someone has a crush on someone else, isn't that a part of sexuality? Brock is gushing over a girl in pretty much every episode of pokemon that he's in. of course it's probably a bad idea to fill a kids show with boobs, but to deny that the whole sexuality thing exists...
What age group are we talking about, exactly? I took it to mean something along the lines of pre-pubescent and I've never really seen pokemon as being that age level. Perhaps I'm wrong, though, I don't have a working knowledge of most things aimed at teen and under.

You don't deny sexuality exists by not acknowledging it. I don't believe it should be acknowledged by children's TV. It's a concept that is, by your own statement, complex. Should we be trying to boil down a complex issue to children? Why would they need that?

To what end would you add someones sexuality? In adult stories(demographically speaking, I mean), such things are added to give a character depth and realism. It's to add a certain bond or give a deeper understanding of their desires. What possible reason could you have for giving a character in a children's show sexuality? Even the parents in most kids shows I've seen have been largely asexual, the only proof of their having had sex being that they have kids. But kids don't think like that. They don't understand or know the intricacies of human reproduction, so it's lost on them. They only know that they have parents, not that the parents had sex. The sex may as well have not happened.

It adds nothing but a complex concept into a place where it's not needed. I don't have kids(knock on wood), but I do have nieces and nephews. I don't want to have to try to boil down human sexuality to them during a time in their life when they don't know anything about sex and wont for many more years to come. It's unnecessary and foolish.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
In order for a person to be 'gay', there has to be a cognizance of sexuality. How many kids shows really focus on sexuality?

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
Ace2401 said:
Haha, that's pretty much exactly what happened to Rainbow Dash. Her sexuality is very much in the air if you think about it. She could be, and has been portrayed as, everything from asexual to bisexual. And I don't think it really matters what she is, she's effing Rainbow Dash and that's that.

OT: My view on the whole sexuality in cartoons is that it probably shouldn't be blatantly shown or dealt with in shows for small children, but after that, anything is fair game as long as it's done tastefully and without stereotypes.
I'm really only responding to you because I saw your picture and now I must listen to Dream Theater. You have fantastic taste in music, sir.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
Have you seen Kick Buttowski? His neighbor is all sorts of gay. The character doesn't ruin the show at all

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
I don't see why not, to be honest. It's not like either the heterosexual or homosexual characters are going to be having sex on screen, so I fail to see the objection.

That is to say, if it's not a series centred upon romantic or sexual relationships, it makes no difference whatsoever.