Can We Stop Using Logical Fallacies and Baseless Statements? [Gamergate Related Topic]

grassgremlin

Aug 30, 2014
Edited again

Let's talk about Logical Fallacies and Baseless Statement and why they are wrong.

No, Gamergate is not run about a bunch of women hating misogynists.
No, Anita Sarkeesian is not feminist Jack Thompson.
No, Zoe Quinn or 4chan are not the new Hitler/Nazis.

Let's discuss the blatant logical fallacies and Baseless Statements used in Gamer Gate and why the internet are so obsessed with them?

redlemon

Oct 3, 2014
If you want to study logical fallacies, I suggest you start with learning what they actually are first.

Hint: None of the three things you listed is a logical fallacy. They're assertions.

murrow

Sep 3, 2014
Logical fallacies are flawed/bad faith argumentation procedures, not statements. They can be used in literally every matter to defend any point.

As said above, none of what you posted is a fallacy.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Apparently we cannot, as humans are glorified animals who have feels which cloud pure reason. They are also wrong more often than not in the sense they lead to incorrect assertions and/or conclusions than moral wrongness, as such things are subjective. Some of my personal favorite logical fallacies are composition, strawman, and loaded questioning. If we wish to alter the ideology of a leaderless collective, we must alter human nature.

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
grassgremlin said:
Let's talk about Logical Fallacies and why they are wrong.

I'm taking an endeavor to study logical fallacies, so let's discuss the blatant logical fallacies used in Gamer Gate, shall we and why the internet are so obsessed with them?
I would say probably not. Most people do not study logic and logical fallacies require study and discipline and they are often contrary to our pattern matching natural instincts. That being said the three logical fallacies I see most often abused are

Affirming the consequent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirming_the_consequent
No true Scotsman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
Ad hominem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

EpicMike7

Oct 11, 2010
grassgremlin said:

I'm taking an endeavor to study logical fallacies, so let's discuss the blatant logical fallacies used in Gamer Gate, shall we and why the internet are so obsessed with them?
None of those are examples of logical fallacies, I believe you mean "Can We Stop Using Baseless Statements".

And yes, I believe we should stop using baseless statements when discussing the issues surrounding GamerGate.

grassgremlin

Aug 30, 2014
redlemon said:
If you want to study logical fallacies, I suggest you start with learning what they actually are first.

Hint: None of the three things you listed is a logical fallacy. They're assertions.
I wouldn't have made the topic if I didn't know what they are. They were poor examples, is all. I edited them out.

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
EpicMike7 said:
grassgremlin said:

None of those are examples of logical fallacies, I believe you mean "Can We Stop Using Baseless Statements".

And yes, I believe we should stop using baseless statements when discussing the issues surrounding GamerGate.
Not to be that guy but:

These are all examples of Ad hominine, Conflation, Equivocation, Hasty Generalization and Appeal to Ridicule

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

EpicMike7

Oct 11, 2010
jthwilliams said:
EpicMike7 said:
grassgremlin said:

Not to be that guy but:

These are all examples of Ad hominine, Conflation, Equivocation, Hasty Generalization and Appeal to Ridicule

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
Not really, none of those statements apply logic to their reasoning, therefore they cannot be considered logical fallacies, merely incorrect blanket statements. Saying "I believe X to be true" is not a logical fallacy as no logic is being applied to the reasoning behind the statement.
If the hypothetical person who believed these statements to be true gave their own reasoning, then we could pick them apart as logical fallacies.

I will say this for the GamerGate controversy, it's encouraged interesting discussions on how to properly conduct oneself in a debate.