Can we stop with the "Batman is more relatable than Superman" thing?

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
Jute88 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/68/6896/NNTJ100Z/posters/justice-league-of-america-generations-group-team-comic-poster.jpg
Really? IMO the guy covered in Red with Yellow Cross on his whole body stands out more?

And again its still wrong to not have Superman in the center.

Superman inspires leadership, loyalty, authority, hope. A man you will stand and guide people to victory.

Batman rules through fear.
I meant that Batman stands out from the group because everyone else (again, except for the woman on the left) wears colorful outfits, while he's, well, rather dark. If he were right or left of the group shot, the lack of color would draw your eye towards him. Him being in the middle balances the whole shot.

Also, I'm not here to talk about who "deserves" to be in the middle, I was merely talking from an aesthetic point of view.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Jute88 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Jute88 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/68/6896/NNTJ100Z/posters/justice-league-of-america-generations-group-team-comic-poster.jpg
Really? IMO the guy covered in Red with Yellow Cross on his whole body stands out more?

And again its still wrong to not have Superman in the center.

Superman inspires leadership, loyalty, authority, hope. A man you will stand and guide people to victory.

Batman rules through fear.
I meant that Batman stands out from the group because everyone else (again, except for the woman on the left) wears colorful outfits, while he's, well, rather dark. If he were right or left of the group shot, the lack of color would draw your eye towards him. Him being in the middle balances the whole shot.

Also, I'm not here to talk about who "deserves" to be in the middle, I was merely talking from an aesthetic point of view.
You took awhile to reply ;)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I find Batman to be utterly unrelateable, to the point that I have an easier time relating to almost any other superhero. Why? He's too perfect. Also, there are only 24 hours in a day.

Batman is unreasonable to the point that I have an easier time accepting someone got bitten by a radioactive critter and got superpowers than I do that a human could maintain perfect physical fitness, get supereducated in a wide variety of fields, run a multi-billion dollar corporation AND fight crime. No, there's literally not enough time for that. I find him implausible to the extent that space gods feel more grounded to me...

Also, what are his weaknesses? His shortcomings? None, really. He's a bit of a lone wolf, that's all. His "flaw" is that he's carrying around baggage from his parents' death, but does that really hinder him? No, it just provides some emo motivation. Even Superman has Kryptonyte. But not Batman, he's prepared for anything, even for not being prepared. It's pretty much the equivalent of the kid in the playground responding to everything with "Nuh-uh! I dodged it! I saw it coming!".

As a contrast, take Iron Man. Also plain human, also corporate rich, also supersmart. But he's not an expert in everything ever. He's physically fit, but nowhere near being a martial arts superstar. He's got crippling alcoholism to deal with and a slight megalomania that both fit in with his character and cause him plethora of problems. I'm not saying Iron Man is the best character ever, but as far as relatable goes, he beats Batman every day of the week as far as I'm concerned.

Feb 26, 2014
Batman is easily one of the more unrelatable [spellcheck doesn't like this word] heroes. I mean, first of all. He's a billionaire playboy philanthropist. Right of the bat, this guy is unrelatable. Okay, but he's got dead parents, we can relate to that, right? Except his parents were killed one night when he was a child and as a result he spends his nights dressed as a bat terrorizing criminals. I don't think there are too many of us who can relate to that. Ah, but he's human and Superman is an alien! Yeah, Batman, who can apparently lift 1000lbs and survive with only an hour of sleep a day. Batman, the guy who is a master of 127 martial arts at the age of, what, 30? People like to say, "You can be Batman!" No you can't. You aren't a billionaire, you aren't going to be mastering 127 different fighting styles in your lifetime, and you aren't going to have a Deus ex Machina strapped to your waist at all times.

Sure, Superman isn't all that relatable, but Clark Kent is far more relatable than Bruce Wayne or Batman. Clark Kent is easily one of DC's more human characters. Bruce Wayne is just a mask Batman wears.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Jandau said:
I find Batman to be utterly unrelateable, to the point that I have an easier time relating to almost any other superhero. Why? He's too perfect. Also, there are only 24 hours in a day.

Batman is unreasonable to the point that I have an easier time accepting someone got bitten by a radioactive critter and got superpowers than I do that a human could maintain perfect physical fitness, get supereducated in a wide variety of fields, run a multi-billion dollar corporation AND fight crime. No, there's literally not enough time for that. I find him implausible to the extent that space gods feel more grounded to me...

Also, what are his weaknesses? His shortcomings? None, really. He's a bit of a lone wolf, that's all. His "flaw" is that he's carrying around baggage from his parents' death, but does that really hinder him? No, it just provides some emo motivation. Even Superman has Kryptonyte. But not Batman, he's prepared for anything, even for not being prepared. It's pretty much the equivalent of the kid in the playground responding to everything with "Nuh-uh! I dodged it! I saw it coming!".

As a contrast, take Iron Man. Also plain human, also corporate rich, also supersmart. But he's not an expert in everything ever. He's physically fit, but nowhere near being a martial arts superstar. He's got crippling alcoholism to deal with and a slight megalomania that both fit in with his character and cause him plethora of problems. I'm not saying Iron Man is the best character ever, but as far as relatable goes, he beats Batman every day of the week as far as I'm concerned.

All of this is just systematic Batman has been overdone by so many writers that favor him more. I mean jeez Batman alone has a whole universe of content in his solo series alone.

Its because so many good writers write for Batman and not the other heroes because these writers lack imagination.

Bane could have eaisly been a Flash villain instead of Batman's.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
ObsidianJones said:
sumanoskae said:
You really think narcissism is an advent of modern culture? History is full examples of the dehumanization of both individual people and entire cultures; human's have been treating each other like shit since the dawn of man.

How do you conclude that modern humanity is more self centered than old humanity?
If I ever said those words, That Narcissism is an advent of Modern Culture, immediately lock me up as soon as possible. Because I've suddenly gone crazy.

However, my point is with Science and the step away from Myths and legend, Modern Society is more focused on the Power and Strength of Man. Who needs overpowered Gods any more when Man harnessed science, killing the need for anything stronger than Humankind Ability to Adapt and Overcome? That's the sentiment in modern society that I'm addressing.
I would argue that the presence of those myths did not discourage a self centered view point, they simply obfuscated it's presence. Consider how anthropocentric all of ancient myth actually is; Gods are always cast as, though technically not human, possessing distinctively human characteristics.

If anything, I think that modern science has humbled us, and as a result we're more sensitive to the narcissism that lingers, which is itself a reaction formation of mankind discovering, for the first time, how truly insignificant it is in the grand scheme of things.

In regards to Batman fandom, I would ascribe his popularity as something not nearly so mystical; The Dark Knight is probably one of, if not THE most widely beloved superhero film in recent memory. Batman is popular because he got into the zeitgeist at an opportune time; simple as that.