Can You Read People?

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
FarleShadow said:
My name is Fiction said:
"Your sensors are not malfunctioning, there is NO sarcasm."
"Am I an over-compesatating asshole for adopting a Rather laugh then cry policy in life?"
Maybe, had a rather 'merry' party and by 'merry' I mean getting numb-wasted on scotch.
Also, yes.
"Better then my holidays." :(
"Well theres worse in life, I should buy a desk and have that title in brass,Over-Compesatating Asshole!"
*Shines title with own tears* ;D

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
I'm bad at reading negatives, but I'd like to think I can read tell if I would like someone just by seeing them in daily life.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Niagro said:
khaimera said:
Hi all,

This is something that I've been thinking about for a while now, and I think this is worthy of its own thread.

I believe that I can read people's energy.

Whatever "energy" means to you is fine for this discussion because there is no way to define it anyways (in this context). Basically, I feel like I can get a "vibe" from people in about 30 seconds and I'm usually right in my instant feeling about them.

It could be called intuition, instinct, gut feeling, or outright snap judgment. I question whether or not this is all I'm really doing, being judgmental.

Do you all feel that you are good at this? Or, do you believe that first impressions matter?

I'm curious.
I'll see...

I think that you're probably about 16 years old, like to think of yourself as very sociable, and hold this skill as something that you're very proud of.
I think that you're looking for a lot of responses to this topic, but you'll not give as much credit to their supposed ability as to yours, you're subconsciously hoping for admiration for your talent.
You're quite intellectual, or at least like to think of yourself as such, and take great care when it comes to presenting yourself to others, even on the internet.

And that's about all I can guess at, did I get any right? =D

This isn't meant to be insulting or anything like that, it's just the impression of you I got from your post: I may be right, I may be totally wrong.
Sorry I took so long to respond to all of this.

I'm 29, I'm sociable enough, and I an proud of it, though I never tell anyone about it.

I was looking for a lot of responses because I thought it would be interesting. But then I remembered that this thread can't really be answered by a simple sentence (and due to bad timing), and it didn't take off.

You're way off on me thinking that my opinion would be better than what others post. Opinions shouldn't work like that, especially on something personal like this.

You totally got the taking great care when I present myself to others. I do that, to a fault at times.

So you got me half right, and the other half was stereotypes about forum goers around here. Though it does describe alot of people on here.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
I think I can usually understand how a person is feeling without having to talk to them. Whether or not I can understand how a person thinks without knowing them very well... I doubt it. I think I have fairly good interpersonal skills if only because being able to understand what emotions are forthcoming is extremely useful.

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
Absolutely. Especially if people are negative/depressed/upset - then they're unbelievably easy to read. Even with just a couple of texts or anything similar, I can read how people are feeling, if I know them well.

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
I'm better at reading emotions and intentions rather than character. Character takes some observation.

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
khaimera said:
I'm 29, I'm sociable enough, and I an proud of it, though I never tell anyone about it.

*snip*

You're way off on me thinking that my opinion would be better than what others post. Opinions shouldn't work like that, especially on something personal like this.
Fair enough, and nobody cares if responses are late =)

In regard to the first bit, I mean you're internally proud, not boastful.

In regard to the second bit, I don't know what you mean, I never wrote that =S

Continuity

May 20, 2010
khaimera said:
Hi all,

This is something that I've been thinking about for a while now, and I think this is worthy of its own thread.

Whatever "energy" means to you is fine for this discussion because there is no way to define it anyways (in this context). Basically, I feel like I can get a "vibe" from people in about 30 seconds and I'm usually right in my instant feeling about them.

It could be called intuition, instinct, gut feeling, or outright snap judgment. I question whether or not this is all I'm really doing, being judgmental.

Do you all feel that you are good at this? Or, do you believe that first impressions matter?

I'm curious.
Humans have evolved to be hyper sensitive to other humans in a communication sense. We're so good at "reading" the slightest muscle movement in the face or eyes, or pitch/tone or voice or body language, etc... that our ability to read each other seems almost supernatural.

its hard wired.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I used to think so then realized I can't.

I don't care enough to try to read anyone other than girls anyway.

ExaltedK9

Apr 23, 2009
The pretenscious (is that how you spell it?) side of me wants to say yes, but... people are hard to read. I can only really know how they're feeling when I know them pretty well.

Ambi

Oct 9, 2009
It's good to analyse the other person to try to discern the actual reasons you could be getting an impression. I clearly remember having this slightly evil feeling about a few strangers as a child. A girl at my gymnastics class, and a store attendant at a health food store. I really don't know what it was, but I've no basis to judge whether I was "good" at sensing because I never knew them. There have also been some people who I've had a good feeling about right away and became good friends with because of that feeling.

I'm curious about pheromones and (I think someone put it like this when explaining a scientific possibility) of subtle differences between electromagnetic fields (or something). I get a little bit paranoid when I sit with people too close, as if I have a sort of tension on the surface of my arm that's telling my parents I don't really believe everything the preacher is saying at church.

As for reading body language, facial expressions, and tone of voice, I don't even know. I scored low on this (http://psychologytoday.tests.psychtests.com/take_test.php?idRegTest=1310, I don't know how to make the word "this" the link) "EQ" test, and I think also on one of those tests where you look at sets of eyes and answer how someone's feeling. In my defense, it could be a bit pseudo-sciencey and generalised anyway. I used to very blank as far as expressions went, so I never liked to jump to conclusions because I didn't like it when people assumed I was sad.

Apr 24, 2008
Alot of people are very good at hiding their feelings...

I wouldn't say I'm especially good or bad at reading people, and I'm not sure I need to be...people outright tell me how they're feeling.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Sometimes.
I'm no Charles Xavier, but basic emotions, when expressed expressly, I can read fairly well.
I can't gauge intent or anything complicated, I can tell when someone isn't quite a happy camper.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Niagro said:
khaimera said:

*snip*

Fair enough, and nobody cares if responses are late =)

In regard to the first bit, I mean you're internally proud, not boastful.

In regard to the second bit, I don't know what you mean, I never wrote that =S
It was for the part where you said I wouldn't give as much credit to other's supposed ability. I guess I got defensive. lol

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Continuity said:
khaimera said:
Hi all,

I'm curious.
Humans have evolved to be hyper sensitive to other humans in a communication sense. We're so good at "reading" the slightest muscle movement in the face or eyes, or pitch/tone or voice or body language, etc... that our ability to read each other seems almost supernatural.

its hard wired.
I agree with all of that. Do you think that we can then take all that data and simplify it into a good vs. bad feeling energy?

laststandman

Jun 27, 2009
Yeah, I think I can. We're pretty simple really, and if you start from one point in a person's nature, reading the rest of them sort of just falls together.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Easily. When I'm face to face or int he room, I can pick up on just about anyone without easily betraying my emotions.

Its been a blessing in the business world, since I can prey on the people's weakness and rise.