Canada adds Proud Boys to the terrorist group list

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Are we talking about lawmakers, or "people"?
The OP is about lawmakers. Generals started talking about people and then shifted to lawmakers. Whom are we talking about? Make a guess, 'cause I don't know where the goalposts have moved into by the time I write this reply to you.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
The OP is about lawmakers. Generals started talking about people and then shifted to lawmakers. Whom are we talking about? Make a guess, 'cause I don't know where the goalposts have moved into by the time I write this reply to you.
It has been clear from it was about lawmakers but as I talk with people here my posts are also going to contain points and opinions about what people post and their expressed opinions. It's the concept of dicussing with people.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
They’re probably on one of our many restrictive lists too to be honest. Not sure if they’d be terrorists on there or just classed as a criminal or socially disruptive gang though.

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
2.) Anyone can be a terrorist. Even a President. If he truly attempted to incite a Coup D'Etat, I don't feel any reason not to call him a terrorist and the people who followed a terrorist... a terrorist.

And they thought they were following the word of the President? That has been thrown out since Nuremberg.

So, yes. I agree with you. They clearly thought they were following the President's Instructions. The President's clearly illegal and ill-thought out instructions. The President's clearly vile instructions that if Obama and/or Biden (or God forbid Hliiary) issued to Antifa, these Proud Boys et al. would be frothing to get on the firing squad to execute those followers of the Presidents' orders that they would deem terrorists.
Let's be clear here I'm not saying the fact they were following (or thought they were following) the president's instructions absolves them of responsibility. I have been quite clear about that. So I do not see how Nuremberg is relevant here. They breached the capitol and should be prosecuted for all the crimes comitted on January 6th.

On the other hand all the elements I mentioned serve as contextualization to help understand why and how things happened. And this is important if you're trying to judge an organization and how it operates based solely on that one event. That's why I also mentioned that for example had they also been behind the attempted kidnapping it would have been much easier to judge their modus operandi and label them a terrorist organisation. But here it seems to be based solely on that one event. You know it's like trying to contextualise an event to determine if it's a crime or hate crime. Even if the conclusion is that it is "just" a crime this doesn't absolve the culprit of the responsibility of the crime.

3.) They allowed themselves to get swayed because they didn't want to believe what actually occurred. Recount after Recount occurred, and it wasn't enough. It was never going to be enough to anyone who didn't want to believe. Because if that was the case? The first recount would have been enough.

Again, not directed to you, Generals, but in all honesty with how people are trying to excuse the Republicans of their actions, you would think the base is filled with simpletons. That is patiently false. I know plenty of smart, hard-working, caring Republicans who simply believe in more money in their pocket, hard work, and limited government. They didn't lose their sense because Orange Man Says Reality Now. And honestly, I don't believe Proud Boys et al. did either. I think they were just looking for an excuse to usurp power. And people allow this by pretending that it's Reasonable to believe Adults were bamboozled to see a Reality that has no standing in the actual fact.

"I allowed myself to believe in a lie because it was more pleasant than to think I have lost therefore my actions can't be counted" is not a legal defense.
Off course they allowed themselves to get swayed. It was much easier for them accept fraud was the cause than their beloved Trump actually being a loser 1 term president. But let's be honest here, we have all our biases and we're all willing to accept certain "facts" with less evidence than others. And there was some intense fake news production going on after the election. And the fact the President himself (with some other Republican lawmakers) pushed that rethoric helped legitimise it. And it's always hard to determine who legitimately fell for the lies and who knew it was nonsense but just used it as an excuse to try and usurp power.
This doesn't and shouldn't grant them absolution for everything they have done, but it helps contextualising events.

Lastly, I'm super confused. Your interpretations do not affect Litigation. Parties connected to Congress does. They call their actions Terroristic in nature. Are you claiming you interpret the law better than the Think Tanks of Congress? I mean, that's The American Congress and Canada as a whole. What do you know that these scholars do not?
I am not claiming I know any law any better than anyone. Maybe the real question is "What do these scholars know I do not?". I'm neither a terrorism expert nor a Proud Boys Expert. Nor do I have access to all the information these people have. Maybe if I did I would agree with them. But I can merely express my opinion based on what I am and what I know.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not sure if they’d be terrorists on there or just classed as a criminal or socially disruptive gang though.
They're the first option. They've done way too much to be classified as some common criminals or random gang.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
They're the first option. They've done way too much to be classified as some common criminals or random gang.
One of the main differences from the legal perspective is that it usually isn't illegal to help a criminal or a gang with non-criminal activity; but it is a crime to help a terrorist organization. It isn't a question on how much they have or haven't done. It's a question on how much the government wants to restrict their non-criminal activities and dissuade alliances.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One of the main differences from the legal perspective is that it usually isn't illegal to help a criminal or a gang with non-criminal activity; but it is a crime to help a terrorist organization. It isn't a question on how much they have or haven't done. It's a question on how much the government wants to restrict their non-criminal activities and dissuade alliances.
I remember reading your first post and keeping track of what you said. I do thank you. I want them to restrict their non-criminal activities. After all the shit they've done, and how they want to keep down minorities or those of different races and religion. See how those fuckers like it.