Canadian Court Confiscates Wii, Terror Suspect Asks For Jail

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Canadian Court Confiscates Wii, Terror Suspect Asks For Jail

A man arrested for his close links to Osama Bin Laden has asked to be allowed back into jail after his Wii was confiscated.

Mohamed Zeki Mahjoub, who is of Egyptian descent, was arrested in 2000 by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service under a 'security certificate' after fears were raised concerning his links with militant organizations in the Middle East and Africa, as well as his role as a deputy general manager of a farm owned by Osama Bin laden.

Canadian authorities were unable to deport him, due to the risk of him being tortured by other governments, and so instead detained him in an Ottawa prison dubbed 'Guantanamo North' for over six years. A judge ordered him released in 2007 and he was subsequently granted bail under strict house arrest conditions. After 18 months of almost constant surveillance, Mr. Mahjoub has asked to be returned to prison.

Why? Well, in part, because Canadian authorities have confiscated his family's Wii. As part of his bail conditions, Mr Mahjoub are prohibited from making any use of the internet, meaing that the Wii, which has a built-in web browser, had to go. Mr Mahjoub cites this, and the other conditions of his house arrest, as having a detrimental effect on his family, and so asked to be returned to prison. This request was denied, ironically because he had never been charged with any crime.

In an interview last year, Mr Mahjoub's wife had this to say about the house arrest: "He's feeling his children are getting punished, (and he said) 'they are not putting me only in jail, they are putting all of you in jail."

Source: Game Politics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/03/22/his-wii-confiscated-terror-suspect-asks-go-back-jail]

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
The Wii is a terrorist's weapon of choice. It's about time that Sony and MS get something to use against Nintendo.

Edit: That's silly, they should let his Kids have the Wii.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
that's pretty close to what Kevin Mitnick went thru but less harsh

sorry can't say i really feel sorry for him, he has known links to a terrorist

Plauged1

Mar 6, 2009
Take their Wiis!

Yeah thats how you stop terrorism. (Sarcasm)

At least let his kids have a NES.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Between this and Call off Duty 5 curing the Rabbi of Naziphobia, I can't help but wonder if maybe console gaming can finally mediate peace in the Middle East...

/pondering

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm more bothered about the fact that he's been imprisoned for 7 years and placed under house arrest, without charge.

He may (even Canadian Intelligence have never said is, it's always may, might or alleged to) have been involved in some very, very shady things, but obviously he wasn't involved enough for a criminal court to convict him. Isn't the Western world was supposed to be better than this?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
How can a Government treat someone like that with nothing to actually charge them for? God damn.

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
How can a Government treat someone like that with nothing to actually charge them for? God damn.

Wow heard of Guantanamo Bay anyone?

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
KaZZaP said:
Booze Zombie said:

America doesnt count, it never pretended to care about things like evidence or due process. Canada is supposed to know better

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Pipotchi said:
KaZZaP said:
Booze Zombie said:

America doesnt count, it never pretended to care about things like evidence or due process. Canada is supposed to know better
And why cant the Canadians get in on the fun? Between moose, syrup and snow theres not alot to do.

Jul 9, 2008
Pipotchi said:
KaZZaP said:
Booze Zombie said:

Up until and after Bush, we did care. Most of us always have.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
they imprisoned a man and took his stuff without ever charging him with a crime. See, Canada is falling as shall the rest of the earth.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
I thought Osama had legit business practices too? I mean, yeah he's a terrorist and all that, but if you think about it, this guy is taking money from Osama, because he's getting paid. Taking away a Wii? Like he can't just send his wife out to send a message at an internet hub or something down the street?

I think the Wii is a bit too far. I thought that you were supposed to be compensated if you were jailed for no reason?

Deathsong17

Feb 4, 2009
You don't even have access to the browser if you don't buy it. Just delete shop channel and problem solved.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
johnman said:
And why cant the Canadians get in on the fun? Between moose, syrup and snow theres not alot to do.
:[ It's true..

..Guantanamo North.. /gigglesnort