Canadian Court Confiscates Wii, Terror Suspect Asks For Jail

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
If he really wants to go back to jail or let his kids have a Wii, just tell the government to frak themselves, go buy a Wii regardless. If they don't like it, they can jail him for violating his bail, which is what he's asking for anyways. What else are they going to do? Hell, even if they try to confiscate it again, all he has to do is resist the cops actively, and it's back to jail he goes. Easy.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
that's pretty close to what Kevin Mitnick went thru but less harsh

sorry can't say i really feel sorry for him, he has known links to a terrorist
Jesus! My boss, who I briefly met once, shares the same religion as me!! If he turns out to be a terrorist, I'm fucked!!!

If only I'd been able to see the future; I'd have known that though he seemed to be a legitimate and respectable businessman who was willing to pay me money to support myself and my family for doing honest work running a farm, he was actually a criminal mastermind!! Oh how foolish I've been, I really deserve to have my liberty taken away, and my family's civil liberties infringed for good measure.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
He want to go back to jail so his kids could get their Wii back. If that's not cool or crazy, then I don't know how to process this information. We have the Octomom, we can always call him the Nintendad?

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Taking away the Wii seems silly, but it's the only way for CSIS to be sure he and his family aren't secretly practicing their sword skills with Wii-Heading.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I think the reality is that he wants to go back to jail in order to draw attention to the predicament he and his family are trapped in as a result of this security certificate. A man who spent seven years in a federal prison doesn't ask to go back because he's been deprived of a game console, but he does ask to go back if he thinks it will afford him the opportunity to highlight the onerous circumstances imposed upon him, fairly or otherwise, by the government.

This is the trouble with security certificates: This guy could be a terrorist piece of garbage who should be deported to his home country regardless of what they're going to do to him when he gets there, or he could be an innocent man caught up in a tangled mess that's way beyond his control. We just don't know and as long as these security certificates exist, we don't have any effective way of finding out. This is what happens when due process is suspended indefinitely. It's a goddamn mess.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Not the Wii! ANYTHING BUT THE WII!!!!!!!

Seriously though, couldn't the government just disable the internet capabilities? Or give him a GameCube at least?

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Malygris said:
I think the reality is that he wants to go back to jail in order to draw attention to the predicament he and his family are trapped in as a result of this security certificate. A man who spent seven years in a federal prison doesn't ask to go back because he's been deprived of a game console, but he does ask to go back if he thinks it will afford him the opportunity to highlight the onerous circumstances imposed upon him, fairly or otherwise, by the government.

This is the trouble with security certificates: This guy could be a terrorist piece of garbage who should be deported to his home country regardless of what they're going to do to him when he gets there, or he could be an innocent man caught up in a tangled mess that's way beyond his control. We just don't know and as long as these security certificates exist, we don't have any effective way of finding out. This is what happens when due process is suspended indefinitely. It's a goddamn mess.
Agreed, we do not want another Maher Arar situation. http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/arar/

Besides, as I understand it, most clandestine operations don't even use much high tech methods of communication now since they realized they can be compromised that way. They've probably gone back to the old school methods that have been around since the days of Alexander The Great and the like.

At the very least, there are plenty of gaming mediums that don't even have a internet messaging capabilities that they could use for entertainment, like was suggested above, they could use a Game Cube if they just had to play a Nintendo game, though I suppose it lacks some of the physical activity that can be involved in playing a Wii game.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
So they have the power to arrest and imprison him without charge, place his entire house under surveillance, yet they can't cut off or monitor his internet access?

They don't have to be killjoys and take his Wii, if they were so worried about him using it's internet browser to access t'internet, they could have simply cut his phone line.

It seems to me that they're using this excuse to stop him and his family having any fun, as he rightly puts it, they're punishing his family.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Both sides of that are stupid.

1) They take away an innocent games console, even though they haven't charged him with a crime.
2) He demands to be put into prison because his kids are bored.

Now, that's just silly.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
I kinda thought this article was going to be about how someone built a bomb out of a Wii. I was dissapointed somewhat.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
It's an amusing, though unecessary and bizarre, story.
Terrorists use Wiis?

Jul 9, 2008
Mullahgrrl said:
orannis62 said:
Pipotchi said:
Up until and after Bush, we did care. Most of us always have.

What does that mean?

You stopped caring sometime the last month?
Note, I said up to and after Bush. What I meant by it was that our leaders always displayed at least a superficial concern over Habeus Corpus (except Lincoln, but that can probably be forgiven since the Civil War was happening at the time). Bush didn't even pretend.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
They need to be careful, if they anger him, he might use his super-muslim powers to bring down the west through an incredibly buggy web browser.

This is really retarded. Why is the man being denied the internet? What the hell could he do that would cause concern?
there afraid he will use the Net to contact any Terrorist Elements he may know, via His Wii

i can think of better ways, but that is there Concern. i dont understand why they dont find a way to Scramble any Net ability it may have

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
They need to be careful, if they anger him, he might use his super-muslim powers to bring down the west through an incredibly buggy web browser.

This is really retarded. Why is the man being denied the internet? What the hell could he do that would cause concern?
Beware the super-muslim powers! Just by talking to him, you may be dragged away by men in black and held in a small room without charge for a long time... at least... I think thats super muslim powers...?

As for why they are denying him the internet, its on the off chance that he'll talk to Osama Bin Laden, and tell him through some eleborate code to destroy the west. To be honest, if he really is a) a terrorist, and b) stupid, sure, let him do it, then you can at least find out where Osama's been hiding.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Pigeon_Grenade said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

there afraid he will use the Net to contact any Terrorist Elements he may know, via His Wii

i can think of better ways, but that is there Concern. i dont understand why they dont find a way to Scramble any Net ability it may have
What's he gonna do? "Osama, I have been released. I know that, during my seven year absence, you have been busy (did you ever go through with your plan to destroy the twin towers?), so I have been absolutely no help to you, and you knew I was either dead or jailed, but I was wondering if you could do me a solid"

The guy was locked up a year before the attacks in question, he's gonna be as clueless as to their whereabouts as anyone.

Oh, and "inevitable joke about how stupid friends codes are"
i think its Stupid too, however thats there Argument is i think that there going for, and he, wanting to keep his children happy wants to go back to jail so his children can have there Wii back... and im not sure how to feel about that
that he is a really Dedicated dad, wanting to return to jail to keep his children happy
or how much his kids dislike him to even consider letting him return to jail to return there wii

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Shouldn't they just, I dunno... disconnect all phone/broadband connections to his house?

Seems like a much safer solution, in all truth.

rosthouse

Mar 18, 2009
Err, that's silly. If he's not allowed to access the internet, why don't just cut
his internet connection?