Canadians React With Anger to New Internet Usage Caps

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Canadians React With Anger to New Internet Usage Caps

Canadians are up in arms over a government decision that will impose drastically reduced download caps on internet users and force the end of unlimited internet packages.

The Bell [http://crtc.gc.ca/], one of the country's largest telecom companies, may begin charging its wholesale customers, primarily smaller, regional internet providers, the same usage-based rates for internet access it charges its own customers, minus a 15 percent discount. As a result, those smaller ISPs will be forced to dramatically slash download caps, abandon their unlimited access programs and effectively give up their competitive advantage.

One such company, Teksavvy [http://teksavvy.com/en/default.asp], has already sent out emails to customers informing them that as of March 1, their download caps will be reduced from 200 GB per month to 60 GB per month in Quebec and only 25 GB per month in Ontario. The company now offers "insurance blocks" of extra data in 40 GB increments at a cost of $4.75 per block above the standard monthly rate, to a maximum of 300 GB.

The CRTC's decision only affects internet customers in Ontario and Quebec but Tom Copeland, chairman of the Canadian Association of Internet Providers [http://www.cata.ca/communities/caip/], said he expects similar caps will now be rolled out by major ISPs in other parts of the country, like Telus and Bell Aliant. "In the marketplace here in Canada, it's monkey see, monkey do," he said.

But the decision is being met with considerable resistance. A petition at Shaw [http://stopthemeter.ca] - the same companies who dominate the internet industry.

Referring to Netflix [http://www.netflix.ca/], which only became available in Canada in September 2010, Angus said, "Now they're saying it's not going to be financially worth their while to explore these new media offerings, so they'll end up back in the hands of the ISPs who are also the content providers."

Minister of Industry Tony Clement said in a statement [http://www.tonyclement.ca/EN/3413/124561] that he was aware that an appeal of the CRTC decision had been filed. "As Canada's Industry Minister, it is my job to help encourage an innovative and competitive marketplace, and to ensure Canadian consumers have real choices in the services they purchase," he said. "I can assure that, as with any ruling, this decision will be studied carefully to ensure that competition, innovation and consumers were all fairly considered."

University of Ottawa professor and media and copyright critic Michael Geist [http://www.michaelgeist.ca/], however, said the CRTC's decision is ill-informed and off-base, calling the imposition of caps a cash-grab that has nothing to do with Bell's claim that it is necessary to fend off network congestion. He noted that download caps in Canada are typically a fraction of what they are in the U.S. and elsewhere, and that roughly ten percent of Bell's subscribers exceed their monthly cap.

But the real problem for Canadian internet customers, according to Geist, is not the imposition of caps that will affect independent ISPs but the caps that already exist for the vast majority of the country. Major ISPs like Bell and Rogers currently control 96 percent of the market, meaning that even if the CRTC had denied Bell's application, the actual impact would be tiny.

"Arguments in support of UBB [usage-based billing] are frequently accompanied by the claim that the approach is like any other service - you pay for what you use. Yet Bell's UBB plan approved by the CRTC does not function like this at all," Geist explained. "Its plan features a 60 GB cap with an overage charge for the next 20 GB. After 80 GB, there is no further cap until the user hits 300 GB. In other words, using 80 GB and 300 GB costs the same thing. This suggests that the plan has nothing to do with pay-what-you-use but is rather designed to compete with similar cable ISP bandwidth caps."

He also pointed out that Primus Vice President Matt Stein admitted earlier in January that the caps are nothing but an "economic disincentive" to keep people from using the internet. "It's not meant to recover costs," Stein told the CBC [http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2011/01/07/internet-expensive-surfing-canadians.html]. "In fact these charges that Bell has levied are many, many, many times what it costs to actually deliver it."

Bottom line? Things are a mess and despite the CRTC's mandate to "ensure the public interest," they're getting worse, not better. "While there is great anger with the CRTC and the dominant ISPs, we should recognize that the current market is a product of years of regulatory neglect and policy choices that created one of the most converged communications markets in the world," Geist wrote. "As Canada's global rankings slide down, we are now paying the price for those choices and it will take a concerted policy effort by governments and regulators to put us back on course."

Source: CBC [http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2011/01/31/technology-internet-usage-based-billing-clement-garneau.html]

PlasmaSnake13

Dec 8, 2010
I live in Canada, and this is such a disappointment. I have to MONITOR my activity? I mean, for other people it's second nature, but once you have something for so long, it just seems like a public middle finger. Looks like the multi-million dollar companies can't get enough.

Pure unnecessary greed.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I'm a Teksavvy user. I'm absolutely thrilled that my roommate and I's 200GB cap is now reduced by 70%. This is the best thing to ever happen to me. I love Bell and everything they stand for.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PlasmaSnake13 said:
I live in Canada, and this is such a disappointment. I have to MONITOR my activity? I mean, for other people it's second nature, but once you have something for so long, it just seems like a public middle finger. Looks like the multi-million dollar companies can't get enough.

Pure unnecessary greed.
I know how you feel. I never used to have to watch my cap.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Well this just came on Stephen Harper's Facebook and Twitter feeds so small hope?

"Stephen Harper
We're very concerned about CRTC's decision on usage-based billing and its impact on consumers. I've asked for a review of the decision."

Ya not much but its a point in favour of us getting noticed

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
I certainly hope for the sake of Canadian gamers that this doesn't come to pass. Some Steam games weigh in on the wrong side of 15 gigs, you could easily exceed the cap in a week.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
If there would ever be one thing preventing me from wanting to live in Canada, It would be this.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
WHAT????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Seriously fuck Bell.... My internet is Via Cogeco, will I be affected? I hope to Christ my 200GB cap isn't affected.

Physics Engine

Aug 18, 2010
Oh, awesome! Now I can pay more for less! It's the Canadian way!

*sigh

This is merely another go at Canadians for their supposed piracy and nothing more. Remember the CD tax? They're trying for an iPod tax now too... now this. All because of NetFlix, which, if you've tried it in Canada, is nothing the big cable companies can't deal with. There's nothing even remotely worth watching on the service yet.

60gb? WTF? I'm not paying anymore. Time to go wait on hold until I get a nice customer service rep to yell at.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
mad825 said:
If there would ever be one thing preventing me from wanting to live in Canada, It would be this.
Seriously up until this Canada has been fucking perfect. Decent gun laws, drug laws and they allow gay marriage. Hell we have great health care to. But this.... SHIT. We just get Netflix then this happens.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
Fightgarr said:
I'm a Teksavvy user. I'm absolutely thrilled that my roommate and I's 200GB cap is now reduced by 70%. This is the best thing to ever happen to me. I love Bell and everything they stand for.
Oh my god sir! The sarcasm level! Its off the scale! (We've gotta get bigger scales)

Edit also the pic in the article is wrong, it should read dollars only not quarters.
XKCD Thread on this topic [http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68145]

spoiler is an image indicating...well you'll see. Originally by @ryanqnorth (so far as I know)

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
Wow...Canadians react with anger? That is a headline itself. I didn't know that was possible! :p

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
Desworks said:
I certainly hope for the sake of Canadian gamers that this doesn't come to pass. Some Steam games weigh in on the wrong side of 15 gigs, you could easily exceed the cap in a week.
And then there's the DLC. I've gone through at least seven or 8 gigs getting the Borderlands, GTA IV, and Bioshock 2 DLC that was on sale this week.

Our big problem in Canada is that the major ISPs are parts of companies that have massive holdings in television media. Bell owns the CTV chain of stations, for example. As such, there is a huge incentive for them to protect their television holdings by putting a damper on Internet content delivery methods.

EDIT: Also, Bell and Rogers are major players in the satellite and cable television delivery services, respectively. Basically, what we are going through here is probably what will end up happening in the states if that Comcast merger were to go forward.

Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
We just get Netflix then this happens.
You don't honestly believe that that is a coincidence, do you?

Imikulate

Mar 17, 2010
This is why it's important important for young people to vote. If you vote you become an important demographic for the parties to try to win your vote and when the parties are trying to win you over they ultimately end up fighting for your interests!

Anyway, I ask every Canadian who reads this to write a letter to their local MP asking them to do something about this. (This issue is only as important to Parliament as you make it!)

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Imikulate said:
Anyway, I ask every Canadian who reads this to write a letter to their local MP asking them to do something about this. (This issue is only as important to Parliament as you make it!)
I already did this and encourage others to do the same, glad to see someone else who is thinking the same thing.

killa_kid

Mar 17, 2009
We've lucked out in my house. We have an old contract with Bell that has a grandfathered no cap clause. However, my dad is in the process of starting a business, so we may have to lose that to get a business level connection. So we might be screwed.

Take out the issue of piracy from the entire equation and just look at digital distribution. In the past year or so, I have bought a bunch of games on Steam. Some are 5gb+. With a 60gb connection I am severely limited in what I can download from a 100% legal source. We already have some of the worst prices for internet, cable, satellite and cell phones. It's now just getting worse.

The 15 cent SMS charge was a joke when they introduced it too.

The CRTC is a joke, it is supposed to represent consumers, but it doesn't. It is full of former telcom employees.