Canadians React With Anger to New Internet Usage Caps

ahiddenfigure

Hunter of Monsters
Sep 14, 2009
As a member of the land-of-the-shitty-internet (Australia for those of you playing at home) let me say that we feel your pain, Canadian brethren. This move sucks major balls; how did they even consider it a good thing in the first place?

BelmontClan

Nov 15, 2009
Wow, so what if you're a business that has to send a lot of e-mails or projects or just anything over the course of a month? Why would you hurt a business in any way, shape or form in this kind of economy? Granted, I don't think Canada is nearly as bad as the US but I imagine it's not a bowl of cherries up there either.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
I know it's still up in the air a bit, but I am glad that net neutrality still seems to be the norm here in the US. I pay $30 a month for a 45 mbps fiber connection, and I live in rural area.

Really seems like the rest of the world really wants to keep the vast majority of the hosting services in the US.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Imikulate said:
This is why it's important important for young people to vote. If you vote you become an important demographic for the parties to try to win your vote and when the parties are trying to win you over they ultimately end up fighting for your interests!

Anyway, I ask every Canadian who reads this to write a letter to their local MP asking them to do something about this. (This issue is only as important to Parliament as you make it!)
My MP is Rob Anders. His offices message machine asks you to leave a message. Then he never responds.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Hmmm, I wonder how this will affect Manitobans? We don't really use Bell, we use MTS and Shaw (I being of the latter). Unless they're Bell in a cunning disguise... hmmm.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I await the day when the ass isp corps realize the money they can make by being decent to their customers.
Unfortunately it is not today.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Wow, I must be really bad with comps. I didnt even know you could really limit this kinda stuff.

Still, thats kinda ridiculous. I mean, you're Canada. Its not like you're a third world nation or something.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the canuckleheads in charge up there will see how stupid they are and repeal this.

'Til then, hope our neighbors to the north can still get something out of the internet.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
I go to Purdue University and we have a 5GB limit per 24 hour period. Sometimes it reaaaaaaaaaaaaally sucks because I want to watch a lot of movies in a row, I am streaming them perfectly legally, but I can't watch them because my internet will be turned off if I go over.

And getting viruses really blows because try convincing the university that it wasn't you that was downloading. I feel Canada's pain.

On the other hand, there are people in the world who are free riding the people who aren't downloading as much. They are downloading huge amounts of files and distributing, costing companies lots of money and basically forcing their hand. It's sad but I can see why they did it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Plurralbles said:
so canada made anticompetitive legislation...

FUCK YOU CANADA!
It hasn't happened yet, and our Prime Minister (whom many on this site hate for some reason) is calling a second look at this, as he doesn't like it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
One Hit Noob said:
That is just gay. When will people actually think, "Did I get my money for being a douchebag, or helping the world?"
What they're thinking is "I got money". Basic economics.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
captaincabbage said:
chozo_hybrid said:
captaincabbage said:
PlasmaSnake13 said:
I live in Canada, and this is such a disappointment. I have to MONITOR my activity? I mean, for other people it's second nature, but once you have something for so long, it just seems like a public middle finger. Looks like the multi-million dollar companies can't get enough.

Pure unnecessary greed.
Welcome to Australia mate, where things have always been this shitty.
Same here across the ditch in New Zealand bro.
Just don't get us both started on how much it sucks south of the equator.
What he said, I just like to remind others how good they have it compared to us. It's why I get sick of some of the complaints, not all. Some are well founded.
Lol I'm sure my international neighbors can relate to that, especially with the prices of games. Americans get off easy as far as I'm concerned when it comes to game prices.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Taking that for granted people, notice how I have 30 gbs per month and you don't see me complaining >.>

Nevertheless, in my perspective it'd be like having no internet at all so I can understand the rage.

Requx

Mar 28, 2010
I.E.D. said:
I think Canadians should start walking like Egyptians.
Yeah theres gonna be some protests this weekend can't wait :) . It made me strongly consider becoming my own isp.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Physics Engine said:
Oh, awesome! Now I can pay more for less! It's the Canadian way!

*sigh

This is merely another go at Canadians for their supposed piracy and nothing more. Remember the CD tax? They're trying for an iPod tax now too... now this. All because of NetFlix, which, if you've tried it in Canada, is nothing the big cable companies can't deal with. There's nothing even remotely worth watching on the service yet.

60gb? WTF? I'm not paying anymore. Time to go wait on hold until I get a nice customer service rep to yell at.
I pay 60.00 a month for a 120GB (60gb on peak 60 gb off peak) cap in Australia. Also, my internet is probably slower than yours.

Goenitz

Jul 22, 2008
I live in Ontario. This is so fucking terrible. I tell everyone i know to sign the petition.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
mad825 said:
If there would ever be one thing preventing me from wanting to live in Canada, It would be this.
Seriously up until this Canada has been fucking perfect. Decent gun laws, drug laws and they allow gay marriage. Hell we have great health care to. But this.... SHIT. We just get Netflix then this happens.
How is it going to effect something like Netflix or even Xbox Live? How is that even measured in amounts of memory?