Cancelling the Apocalypse - Pacific Rim 2 Is No More - Update

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
That's really too bad.

The first movie was hyped to the moon and beyond but there was still genuine fun to be had. It's worthy of a sequel or another movie in the spirit of this concept (Gundam's for example).

RobotDinosaur

Feb 27, 2012
Also not sure what they would do as a plot for Pacific Rim 2, but not sure if I care. GDT could just release 90 minutes of Gypsy Danger wailing on monsters with an oil tanker (or other unconventional weapons) and I would watch it. Hell, steal a page from Mad Max's playbook - give Gypsy Danger a flame-throwing guitar and I'd go see that movie every night for a week.

Gretha Unterberg

Jul 14, 2013
ColaWarVeteran said:
What Pacific Rim really needed was a prequel animated series or a set of mini-sodes similar to The Animatrix. They had been fighting these kaiju for years and we see very little of that.
Yeah, it might be an unpopular opinion.
But I think the whole storyline about the first contact, the jaeger project and arms race should have beem explored more rather then expanding all fistfights by additional 10 minutes each.

A kaiju of the week series with an overarcing storyline and pacific rim as grand finaly......yeah, I would totaly watch this.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
To be honest, I was seriously underwhelmed by Pacific Rim. Somehow, they managed to make a movie about giant robots punching monsters in the face utterly boring. If the movie had been a half an hour shorter, and the other mecha have actually been given a chance to shine, it may have been decent. I found myself checking my watch every ten minutes towards the end.

A sequel is unnecessary in the first place. I'm not sad to see this project fall by the way side. Sign me up for Hellboy 3, though!

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
FalloutJack said:
crimson5pheonix said:
I liked Pacific Rim, but what was a sequel going to do? Open TWO rifts? In the Atlantic?!
Mutant cyborg Jaeger gone wild.

OT: Oh, FUCK YOU, Warner Brothers! I set a curse of Yakko, Wakko, and Dot upon thee! Assholes...
I concur! http://33.media.tumblr.com/a59c99cda990a322c93b4ea13b1861da/tumblr_inline_mqhj1iqVts1qz4rgp.gif

Screw you too, Warner Brothers!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
ArcaneGamer said:
FalloutJack said:
crimson5pheonix said:
I liked Pacific Rim, but what was a sequel going to do? Open TWO rifts? In the Atlantic?!

OT: Oh, FUCK YOU, Warner Brothers! I set a curse of Yakko, Wakko, and Dot upon thee! Assholes...
I concur!

There ya go, mate. Mustn't forget your image tags. Show them what bears are made of!

Mar 26, 2008
Jack Action said:
Adam Jensen said:
Zhukov said:
If this means he can make another Hellboy movie instead then I ain't complaining.
I think that dream is dead. I don't understand why he doesn't Kickstart that project. Who wouldn't contribute to Hellboy 3?
Anyone who watched Hellboy 2.
Ha ha! Touche.
As a stand-alone it would have been "alright", but I watched Hellboy and Hellboy 2 back to back recently and the tone shift is just jarring. I can't believe he directed both movies.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
FalloutJack said:
ArcaneGamer said:
FalloutJack said:
crimson5pheonix said:

I concur!

Thanks,man. I appreciate it.

There ya go, mate. Mustn't forget your image tags. Show them what bears are made of!

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Charcharo said:
*Sigh*

Here is fun. But one that follows human logic and not ... whatever the fuck people that believe giant robots make sense as combat machines... use.

WHy cant I have my big budget monster movie with real machines that make sense? But you people get your insane fantasy.
Same shit with Jurassic Park. You get random ass monster movie number #5663345 , I want a big budget movie with dinosaurs... :(
I didn't read your response, but you seem to have taken me 100% seriously from the length. I just wanted to inform you that I only wanted to make a reference to an episode of a children's cartoon series.

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
I'm kinda disappointed but not all that surprised. I enjoyed the first one, probably because I'm flexible enough to suspend my disbelief. Hell, the plot wasn't amazing, but it was sufficient framework for the Giant Robot fights, which were kickass.

Charcharo said:
Truth be told... I did not care.

The original was, in my informed but subjective opinion... BAD. Both as a movie, as an action... and even as a "giant robot" story.

The again I am one of those assholes that think giant robots are stupid by default...

*How much I would have preferred a more... authentic one, with more action and actually showing the might of the planet's war machines instead of relying on inferior giant robots...
You must be REALLY fun at parties.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Charcharo said:
MarsAtlas said:
-snip for space-
We humans. NEVER. Beat. The. Laws. Of. Physics. Or. Mechanics. Never.
Technology. Can. Not. Do. That.
IF you are on the level, where you can do that. Then. There. Can. Not. Be. A.War.

I love science fiction. You are very much mistaken here. But this is neither concept exploration nor is it... well, actual science.

The rockets that kill Mutavore did it quickly my friend... pay more attention.

Also, I dont mean only tanks... why concentrate only on tanks?

The same Cetegory 5 that survived a nuke also was killed by a jet stream... ....
Okay you guys are taking this far too seriously. Pacific Rim is a live action /cartoon/ and only adheres to the rules of fun. It doesn't profess to be realistic or even have /any/ science behind it. Stop butting your head against it like you're trying to break down a hard sci fi novel. Everyone knows giant robots are unfeasible, but giant robots punching out giant monsters is fun.

However, within the context of the storyline; its not exactly implied that Earth won a war at the end, we did only close that one portal, we somehow managed to win a battle. But only a battle.

Even with the notion that the aliens are so powerful as to be able to create the Kaiju in the first place, they seem to come from a different dimension, sending things through presumably is quite difficult or they would've just sent in a load of shit quicker.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Stabby Joe said:
Same low points? So Hellboy and it's sequel were 3 hour product placement laden, overly edited bloated action maelstroms filled with sexist, racist and homophobic caricatures that had higher billing than the titular characters?
OK, I may have bleached the more socially irresponsible "fuck you Bay, you racist, sexist sack of shit" elements of Transformers from my brain as a sanity preservation mechanism, so that is one more point in Hellboy's favor, but still:

Worthless plot that exists solely as string between shiny objects (action scenes)? Check.
Utterly lifeless forgettable (again, exception of Perlman) cast? Check.
Chaotic CGI-tastic action scenes with zero impact? Check, although you can actually follow the action in Hellboy.
Utterly toothless to get those sweet PG-13 monies? Check.
Painful, cringy "humor" that might have been funny when I was 13? Check, although Hellboy isn't nearly as painful.
Worse version of something that already exists and did not in any way need a shitty adaptation? Check.

Hellboy had slightly lesser versions of what made Bayformers bad, but none of what made it truly loathsome. Although certain schools of though would consider Liz being a useless damsel in the first movie a bit sexist. I personally don't, I just think its lazy hackneyed writing.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Charcharo said:
You really really need to calm down. It's a movie. The people who made it wanted to create a movie about giant monsters fighting giant robots. Not even the laws of physics are immune to the rules of cool and fun. Doesn't matter that such things can never happen in the real world. The real world is a boring place to be in at times. That's why we have fiction, and that's why a lot of that fiction is science fiction. If you can't forgive people for wanting to indulge in a little fantasy then you have no right WHATSOEVER to be offended or annoyed when they disagree with whatever assessments you bring to the table during discussions such as these.

You're making a big deal over nothing.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
cant really feel sad for learning of cancellation for something i didnt even knew was being made. That being said i would like to see the second one.

crimson5pheonix said:
considering that the rift was basically a gate opened by the aliens at will there is no reason to believe they cannot open another gate just as easily. and then they may actually send in one of the big boys that we hardly saw.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Well nice to know that Del Toro at the least is pursuing it as if nothing has changed. Good on him, maybe he can push through a stubborn company.