Cancer Victim Lives On In Total War: Rome 2

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Cancer Victim Lives On In Total War: Rome 2

Creative Assembly did its best to give one fan a special day, and you'll see the result in-game.

When Creative Assembly first announced Total War: Rome 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118221-Total-War-Returns-to-Rome], it promised "colossal armies rendered in incredible detail." For one gamer's family, that incredible detail has special meaning: James, a 24 year old Total War fan and liver cancer sufferer, visited the studio, eager to see the latest developments in the series he loved. His likeness lives on, in-game, as a soldier in the Siege of Carthage; James died shortly after his studio tour.

It had all been arranged by Willow [http://www.willowfoundation.org.uk/news/latestnews?newsid=392], a charity that organizes Special Days for the seriously ill. "What really struck me was how my colleagues reacted to James coming in," said community manager Craig Laycock. "I was inundated with emails offering help with James' day. The tour organized itself, as the guys around me scrambled to show James what's going into making Rome 2." James got to play an early build, and talked to pretty much everyone involved in the game's development. "He asked passionate questions," Laycock reminisced, "and offered clear and concise suggestions on features for the game."

"He will live on in some small way in our game," Laycock said, "and every time I see him I'll be reminded of what a great guy he was."

Total War: Rome 2, the latest in the Total War RTS series, is due for PC later this year.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-18-24-year-old-total-war-fan-immortalised-in-rome-2-shortly-before-losing-battle-with-cancer]

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Whilst that is totally cool and awesome, does anyone else find it kinda weird that in his memory, he is going to be killed on a daily basis?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
He's been given a face in a game where you spend most of it suspended 100 feet above the earth.
Nice.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Surprising how negative the comments are. Ok these guys are getting free publicity for sure, but if James loved the Total War games that much then IMO its a fitting memorial

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I think it's a pretty good way to keep their memory intact. I'd be honoured to find my way into a game in just a small capacity like this.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
That's pretty bloody awesome.

I do have the strange feeling that willow, and other organisations of the sorts, is gonna see an increase in 'can we go to a gaming company' requests.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Never heard something so awesome and yet so sad at the same time.

It's actually a shame you don't see this happening with a lot more AAA titles.

I mean, not like it would be super hard to do in a lot of the big budget games and it makes for such an awesome monument to the person's memory.

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
ron1n said:
Never heard something so awesome and yet so sad at the same time.

It's actually a shame you don't see this happening with a lot more AAA titles.

I mean, not like it would be super hard to do in a lot of the big budget games and it makes for such an awesome monument to the person's memory.
Reminds me a lot of what happened a few years ago. 5, to be exact, just to rub in how fast time flies.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Ezra_Chatterton

It's always nice seeing things like this happen, in a way. I'm not sure what else to say, really. Bittersweet, to be sure

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
That's pretty fucking awesome. Damnit creative assembly don't you be making me fall in love with you all over again.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
What a really nice thing for them to do. Whatever the ironic jokes some might make about it, it made the guy happy, and that's what counts.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
A really great thing to read. And a nice counterbalance for all the negativity about the state of gaming. Very nice of The Creative Assembly.

And to cancer I say: "SHAMEFURRR DISPRAY!"

Parshooter

Sep 13, 2009
It will be sad if a Total Realism mod comes in because he will be the first thing cut.

TheRightToArmBears said:
Whilst that is totally cool and awesome, does anyone else find it kinda weird that in his memory, he is going to be killed on a daily basis?
He's on the Roman side of the Siege of Carthage. He might not die that often.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
He's been given a face in a game where you spend most of it suspended 100 feet above the earth.
Nice.
He's been given a face in a battle scenario (and probably a spot in the pool of randomly selected soldiers face as well) so odds are you most likely will see him in the battle intro. Though maybe he's a general portrait to, don't know why you are trying to see the downside of this?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Also, Total War lets you dive down into the chaos any time, so it's not like you can't see him.

a lot of my battles involve sitting and waiting for the issue to resolve itself

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
TheRightToArmBears said:
Well he is the only roman not wearing his helmet. So if films have taught me anything he'll live every single time. ^^