Candy Crush Saga Comes Pre-Installed on Windows 10

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Candy Crush Saga Comes Pre-Installed on Windows 10

Move over Minesweeper?

Here's some news that is sure to make some of you jump up and down. King's immensely popular match-3 mobile title Candy Crush Saga [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/candy+crush+saga] will come pre-installed with every single copy of Windows 10, joining the likes of Minesweeper and Freecell as those default Windows games you play on the school library's computer because everything else is blocked.

"Windows Phone users have been enjoying Candy Crush Saga since its launch on the platform in December, and later this year, all Windows 10 owners will be able to experience the hit game that's swept the mobile world like wildfire," Microsoft wrote. "As an added bonus, Candy Crush Saga will automatically be installed for customers that upgrade to or download Windows 10 for periods of time following the game launch."

If you haven't been living under a rock, you've no doubt heard of King's infamous "patent trolling" shenanigans involving Candy Crush Saga. First there was that whole The Banner Saga [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131475-Candy-Crush-Saga-Studio-Trademarks-the-Word-Candy] for using the word "saga".

Despite all this, the game has been incredibly successful [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134934-Candy-Crush-Sagas-Q1-2014-Profits-Crush-Nintendo] and remains so to this day (seeings as it can afford to pay whatever massive lump of sum it takes to become a Windows default game).

In addition to Candy Crush Saga, Microsoft announced that the rest of King's catalog will be made available to Windows 10 customers.

Source: Xbox Wire [http://news.xbox.com/2015/05/games-candy-crush-saga-is-coming-to-windows-10]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm going to indulge in the pettiest comment I've ever made and ever will make: THIS is why I won't take a free upgrade to Windows 10.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Well I know what I'll be deleting first if and when I upgrade. After replacing Internet Explorer, of course.

List

Sep 29, 2013
But wait!
If you upgrade now, your Windows 10 will come with a micro-transaction laden skinner box!!

Hadesshade

Jan 11, 2013
So no doubt that this will have all the micro-transaction-y goodness that we all know from King. My next question is: Will it still have ads, or is in profitable without ads? (I've never actually played it, but I do occasionally enjoy Bejeweled.)

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Well, I know what I'll be doing first whenever I get Win 10, uninstalling this blight of a game. Maybe I'll take screen shots of the process and email them to MS support with a note saying "thanks for wasting the time of millions of people who refuse to support a game company that makes your company's past practices seem almost ethical."

This feels worse than the browser wars. At least MS provides us with a convenient way to get its competitors' products onto our computers (or has to include them in the installation in some regions). I highly doubt CCS has a friendly feature for downloading better puzzle games.

Edit: fixed a big typo. Also, I want to add that this makes Win 10 look even more like a advertising device than an OS. It's more reason to sit on that free upgrade offer until the last few weeks. Let the early adopters find out if it is safe or if it is the big brother (pun not intended, but let's roll with it) to both these free to play, ad heavy games and tracking cookies.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
That shit is coming straight off when I upgrade to Windows 10. That and downloading a different browser.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
As much as I hate the makers of Candy Crush Saga I don't even comprehend why anyone else would even acknowledge it when compared to similar games they can play for free on flash websites.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
RatGouf said:
As much as I hate the makers of Candy Crush Saga I don't even comprehend why anyone else would even acknowledge it when compared to similar games they can play for free on flash websites.
Better production values, different market, along with a better design (when optimizing towards getting people to pay). Their design is built around getting most players to get close enough that they need one or two turns more, with a handy-oh-so-easy to access button to pay to win. While it also tends to lead to getting more payments, coming so close and losing does keep people hooked more than other designs.

But mostly, I don't think most people were really aware of the sort of flash games that existed before phones. Which lead to the hilarious times whenever they point out some hip new game that's so amazing that computer-literate people were playing years before. Not to mention it's aimed well at children, which rather helps.

Not impressed at all with Microsoft's decision. Their soul isn't exactly in prime condition, but that doesn't mean they need to sell it to so sleazy a devil.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Bloatware is one thing.
Bloatware that's attempting to extract money the way King does is...

*tries to remember list of snide comments regarding this subject*

Cancer Crush Saga?

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Glaice said:
That shit is coming straight off when I upgrade to Windows 10. That and downloading a different browser.
teqrevisited said:
Well I know what I'll be deleting first if and when I upgrade. After replacing Internet Explorer, of course.
You all DO know that Internet Exploder will not be on Windows 10, right?
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/29/8511169/microsoft-edge-official-name-internet-explorer-upgrade

OT: Every time I even hear the phrase "Candy Crush" gives a bad taste in my mouth. Like I'm eating some really bad tasting candy. Yuck. I sunk a whopping 5 dollars into the game before realizing I was being tricked and then promptly deleted the thing.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Good idea, in 15-20 years when this is on system computers in work places people will be able to enjoy this game.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yay...?

Meh, I didn't even install this on my phone.

Also, not sure why it was required you mention the bullshittery of King. Seems a bit out of place.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I laugh at all those people thinking they can uninstall this. The current preview does not let you remove Xbox app from windows 10, what makes you think its going to let you remove this?

Kurt Cristal said:
You all DO know that Internet Exploder will not be on Windows 10, right?
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/29/8511169/microsoft-edge-official-name-internet-explorer-upgrade
They mean the renamed IE.