Can't find that long term RPG

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
I have several types of games that I like switching to and forth playing now and then, but there's always one RPG which never really ends (or at least, lasts a really, really long time) and I pour endless time into, and still has a sense of progression. This usually takes the form of ARPGs (used to play the original Sacred and Titan Quest) and I've recently started getting into MMORPGs.

I've been playing Guild Wars 2, presuming that I'd be playing it for a long time to come, until I realised that the endgame is rather shallow and lacks a sense of progression, so I couldn't find much more reason to keep playing it past max level. It leaves me kind of stuck and unable to find another RPG that fits the criteria.

So, Escapists, can you think of a 'long term' RPG?

Edit: I should mention that they should be on PC.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Platforms?
Because if you've got a PS3 the Disgaea series is pretty much all about progressing and upgrading your characters.

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Platforms?
Because if you've got a PS3 the Disgaea series is pretty much all about progressing and upgrading your characters.
Oh, I should have mentioned, PC only!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Eduku said:
hazabaza1 said:
Platforms?
Oh, I should have mentioned, PC only!
Hmmm.
Harder to think of then.

Maybe something by Bethesda but modded to hell and back? Dark Souls also has a very good feel of progression, both personal and statistical, just be warned that the PC version is shite in a handbasket.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well if you got some grinding needs Torchlight 1&2 have them in spades, especially when you push the difficulty, shit gets crazy hard to advance and the only way forward is better loot.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Mr.K. said:
Well if you got some grinding needs Torchlight 1&2 have them in spades, especially when you push the difficulty, shit gets crazy hard to advance and the only way forward is better loot.
It's not "crazy hard" in TL2, it is harder though, in that "Stuff takes longer to die" way. But yes, the TL series are good for the "put more hours into me" style of play.

I've recently tried out Path of Exile (since they went onto open beta) and I can recommend that, too. It should be exactly what you need with lots and lots of time to play ahead. Also, it's free.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
The Last Remnant. Think Golden Age Final Fantasy with a party of around 45... at once.

I just started it and it seems to be your normal 60+ hours RPG. It also runs on UE3 so you can most definitely run it:)

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Darklands is on GOG. I've been playing that game for the past 8 years.

M&B is a better choice if you can't stand 1992 RPGs, as per one of the posters above.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Path of Exile sounds like it would be your cup of tea. Check it out, it just went into open beta.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
FFP2 said:
The Last Remnant. Think Golden Age Final Fantasy with a party of around 45... at once.

I just started it and it seems to be your normal 60+ hours RPG. It also runs on UE3 so you can most definitely run it:)
The Last Remnant is a decent game but it is not like Golden Age Final Fantasy. In Final Fantasy you direct your characters individually but in The Last Remnant you give groups orders and the AI chooses the attack it wants to use.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Well Baldur's Gate EE has been released. NWN Diamond is available on GOG if you aren't afraid of mods. Vanilla is dull, SOU is great, and mods are varied.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
If you like Bioware Style RPGs, Id say go For Dragon Age: Origins

My shortest playthorugh was 55 hours and theres a ton of ways to Spec your party

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Seems like these days I only appear on the forums to recommend The Secret World... but yeah, I'd recommend The Secret World. It's an MMO but, like GW2, it's subscription free, so you can pick it up or drop it anytime you feel like it. Haven't reached endgame yet, but I've been enjoying the hell out of the experience for the last two months.

Dragon Age: Origins is also a good pick, though it might be a little slow for your taste.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
The secret world...heh. I played it for...maybe 3~4 hours and got just so bored of the quest design and fighting mechanics. Really not a fun game for me.

Personally, I can recommend Torchlight too. Especially Torchlight 2. TL2 is basically an upgraded TL1, so you might as well get TL2 right away. TL1 still had some faults that made it less fun, TL2 is awesome.

Other than that Disgaea with an emulator can give you a ton of play time as well.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Xenoblade is very MMO like in combat, has a huge world, hundreds of side quests, an intriguing story. At one point, I've seen a guy go through nearly one hundread hours of exploring and slaying before getting to the THRID BOSS.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
FFP2 said:

Oh dear god, that game! I think its the only JRPG I have played that I have actually didnt finsih because it was so bad. I just could not find anything redeeming about it I gave up after finally getting back your sister about 50 or 60 hours in I couldnt take anymore and I have finished trash like FFII and Blue Dragon.

For PC I would go with Mount and Blade it didnt click with me but its not a bad game and there is loads to do other than that what about Neverwinter Nights for the multiplayer if thats still about or a dungeon crawler like Torchlight. My first thoughts went to the Disgaea series like the second posters but thats obviously not a possibility if you only have a PC.

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
Gothic 3, and community patch 1.75 is a must, this is not negotiable, and it's free and easier to get and install than any mod (or patch or whatever) I've encountered. The community patch balances out the gameplay, fixes lots of bugs, and eliminates the quick-attack stunlock that can ruin any encounter.

Gothic 2 is a better game, and I highly recommend it, and it doesn't need patching, but you can get absolutely lost in Gothic 3's giant world. The overall effect can be compared to the recent Elder Scrolls games, but without all the suck. And it's also a little more "hardcore" than those newer Elder Scrolls games, so there isn't the nonsense "streamlining" for the casuals.